996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Interesting new 997.2 exhaust design

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 01:02 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Interesting new 997.2TT exhaust design

A customer dropped off a brand new 6 speed, 2012 997.2TT with only 1,400 miles earlier this week and we are extremely excited and proud to be using this car to design the new SpeedTech 997.2TT X-Flow exhaust system with Hi-Flow cats to add to our product line. This new 997.2TT system will utilize the same internal technology that has been employed very sucessfully on our 996TT and 997.1TT platforms.

With several years experience designing Porsche exhausts, we have learned how to achieve our unique blend of tasteful exotic sound, a high level of cabin comfort and an astounding GT3-like wail at WOT - so here we go again!

Project car on day 1 - Monday

Day 5 - Friday, design completed

This system presented some challenges, as the space allowed for the muffler is much more confined than the 996TT and 997.1 TT, which dictated a much smaller muffler. We stuck to OEM muffler size and the exhaust fits like a glove! Beautiful sound and a perfect fit - we are very happy with the result.

These design projects are a lot of work - cut and test fit, jig making, molds, more test fitting, more jigs, etc., the hours just go on and on...but in the end, when you have all the jigs built, all the patterns recorded, the first system installed on the car and you tighten the last bolt and are ready to fire it up, it's a great feeling!

Needless to say, we are excited to add this new Porsche turbo model to our line of Porsche exhausts. Here are a couple pictures of the final product...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 08-11-2012, 01:06 AM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
Looks very nice!

Old 08-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
I wonder if it'll sound like EBWerks exhaust

Old 08-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Probably better :-)

It's available in 3 sound versions - quiet, moderate and loud...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
Old 08-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Looks great John!

Old 08-12-2012, 08:26 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hey John looks great....
Does that system have the same exact type of X merge set-up as the 996TT ?

Old 08-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Fallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud of
Bench Flow Analysis

I've been considering installing a SpeedTech 2.5 Quiet on my mildly modded 996 TT with Hybrid turbos, diverters, wastegates and GIAC 650 Flash.

I would love to start seeing exhaust manufacturers publish flow numbers (Max CFM) so I could compare sound to flow.

Personally, I'm looking for the best of both. I am currently running a modded OEM by SAMBOTT and it IS nice and quiet, but runs out of Flow to early in the powerband.

Thoughts?

TIA,

Fallbangskid

Old 08-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Etchhead
Looks great John!
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Hey John looks great....
Does that system have the same exact type of X merge set-up as the 996TT ?
Thanks, Guys!

Yes, it uses the same internal design as our other X-cellerator systems, however, the space to fit it is much less, so we had to make the muffler smaller. We also re-shaped it to mount better. It's a perfect OEM type fit and is well above the bumper line, so it's not visable from behind the car.

It really woke the car up! When I first drove the 997.2TT, it felt a little numb and sluggish. I didn't care for it at all. After just an exhaust, the throttle response was crisp, the turbos hit much quicker and it was much faster - a totally changed car. I love it now. At first I preferred my car to the stock 997.2TT, as it drove better - now the 997 is like a brand new, improved version of my car. Also, absolutley zero drone - none whatsoever. Performance-wise, just our exhaust made a huge difference!

2022 Cayenne White