996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

No Drone? Is there such a thing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:02 PM
TXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud of
Thanks for the info John, this has been a very informative thread!

Old 08-17-2012, 11:01 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alex@Fabspeed
Hey Ponzz, the system you have is loud and aggressive, but since you already have our Sport Cats, you can just purchase our Maxflo Mufflers to bolt on it. That would still give you a nice sound without being loud and it will be much more less expensive then purchasing a new system. PM me for more details and I will get you special member pricing on it.
thanks,
HI,From a performance stand point,,,is your X-pipe type the best flowing system you have for making the most HP on a modified car??.All things being equal in all running the same cats OR all running a cat by pass?? Thanks

Old 08-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TXTurbo996
Thanks for the info John, this has been a very informative thread!
My pleasure...

I said....."but I will show ponzz the back-up for my statement."

Actually that post was for you, not the OP, ponzz - sorry for the confusion, but I think you got the idea :-)

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 08-18-2012, 12:24 AM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Im not an expert on 996tt exhaust but I have some sort of "custom" Switzer X style exhaust on my GT2...its pretty effing loud and there is little to no drone whats-so-ever. I would recommend it to anybody looking for LOUD w no drone. I do have cats btw...

Old 08-18-2012, 01:15 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Sure Enrique - What do you think, that I just make this stuff up??? I will not continue this debate with you, but I will show ponzz the back-up for my statement.

We have been at this a long time and have a lot of experience with these exhausts. I have designed, tested and dynoed many versions, so I do know what I am talking about. The advice I gave the original poster is spot on, as usual - that's the truth of the matter. Here is the dyno that show a 2.5 vs. a 3.0 with 2.5 tips (our moderate sound) and a full 3.0. You can see that the blip in power is exactly 1,400-1,500 RPM's of which really only 800-1000 RPM's are meaningful, powerwise. That segment of RPM at WOT goes by in literally a fraction of a second - the 25 HP gain is only at the peak, so leading up to the peak 25HP and back down from it, it's not even 25HP. Note that before and after this brief spike to redline, they are dead even...

Bottom line, In my experience, which includes seat time and dyno time, I stand by my statement that the difference is exactly as I stated, brief and undetectable at these HP levels.

I prefer the comfort of our 2.5 system over a 3.0 - some like it louder and our 3.0 does that phenomenally and you get the few extra ponies. If that's not enough, then we have the catless X-Pipe super sound for those that have to have it cup car loud...

Here you go...

John,

Is that WHP and HTQ ? ! That is a lot of power for a k16 or x50 car. More then normal if that is at the wheels !

So clarify me this. Why on EARTH when I dragged raced one of your customer with your "2.5" quiet exhaust " we were dead even from 40 mph to 170 mph.
I had a 100% stock, factory exhaust when we dragged raced. Your customer had the speedtech " 2.5 quiet exhaust" . We did it multiple times, with the same results. Hell, if you want I will install my stock exhaust again and call him and ask him to get on camera. I believe your dyno was not giving you the correct real world data. I just don't want people to get misinformed with a product.

We both had ecu flashes. My car had 85k miles and his had 16k miles. Please explain !

So you won't bring up the flash. I dragged raced another local 996t, with a FVD exhaust with 100 cell cats, and he has no flash. I had the stock exhaust and a flash, and I only pulled on him about 3 cars from 45 to 135 mph.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:39 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
All these exhaust threads are drone......

Old 08-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
John,

Is that WHP and HTQ ? ! That is a lot of power for a k16 or x50 car. More then normal if that is at the wheels !

So clarify me this. Why on EARTH when I dragged raced one of your customer with your "2.5" quiet exhaust " we were dead even from 40 mph to 170 mph.I had a 100% stock, factory exhaust when we dragged raced. Your customer had the speedtech " 2.5 quiet exhaust" . We did it multiple times, with the same results. Hell, if you want I will install my stock exhaust again and call him and ask him to get on camera. I believe your dyno was not giving you the correct real world data. I just don't want people to get misinformed with a product.

We both had ecu flashes. My car had 85k miles and his had 16k miles. Please explain !

So you won't bring up the flash. I dragged raced another local 996t, with a FVD exhaust with 100 cell cats, and he has no flash. I had the stock exhaust and a flash, and I only pulled on him about 3 cars from 45 to 135 mph.

Enrique,

That is all wheel HP on a low reading mustang dyno. K24/18G turbos. There are so many reasons why your friends car may have run even with you, I can't begin to mention all of them, such as boost leaks, bad plugs, leaking DV's, driver skill, even just a slower motor from the factory. To think it's exclusively an exhaust is foolish and awfully assuming on your part.

Also, since I believe you are the same Enrique as EBWERKS - it seems you may have an agenda here and this is the last time I am going to say I am not going to debate this with you. I'm done.

There is nothing wrong with a 2.5 exhaust and it makes great power. My car has run 11.0 1/4 mile times repeatedly, trapping well into the 130's with a 2.5 at only 1.2 bar - the car was literally a couple of hundreths off of a 10.9 on street tires and only 1.2 bar. In fact, a 3.0 did nothing to improve the 1/4 mile ET or trap speed. How many cars have run 11.0 at 132 on 1.2 bar on street tires? I don't know of any. So suffice it makes plenty of power. For those of you that own or are considering owning a SpeedTech 2.5 system, don't listen to this guy - He obviously has an agenda...the Speedtech 2.5 is a component of one of the fastest K24/18G cars on 6speed and was at about #10 on the list of all Porsches, until people started running 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 bar and up, E85, meth, etc.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 08-18-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:10 AM
evil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bbywu
This is awesome information. I would to see all the new "X" style exhaust tested agains these traditional style exhausts.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
John, Your systems are proven. You yourself are proven too. My experience shows 2.5'' is good till 750-800hp. Guys remember afew things our exhaust are short so pipe size is different then on your daddy's Chevy. 2.5'' is only handling 3 cylinders or half the motor unless you have a x style that is 2.5'' at the crossover.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
John, Your systems are proven. You yourself are proven too. My experience shows 2.5'' is good till 750-800hp. Guys remember a few things our exhaust are short so pipe size is different then on your daddy's Chevy. 2.5'' is only handling 3 cylinders or half the motor unless you have a x style that is 2.5'' at the crossover.

Thanks, Tim. It's nice to hear your perspective and I appreciate the back-up from someone as experienced as you in all facets of engine building/modding, someone that has actually done the testing and knows what they are talking about.

2022 Cayenne White
Old 08-18-2012, 12:03 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
My agenda is simple. Inform buyers of what they are really getting and not propaganda being fed.

Spark plugs ? We changed them at the same time, together. I helped him change his, he helped me change mine. Same day. I only boost to .9. So yes, maybe I do have a boost leak ? He also boost to .9. Driver skill ? It dosen't that much, its just shifting. Even then, everyone who knows this person- knows he is a great driver.

The forum stopped being a helpful place when people can't actually share information of a product. Or when vendors misinform users.

Enrique,

That is all wheel HP on a low reading mustang dyno. K24/18G turbos. There are so many reasons why your friends car may have run even with you, I can't begin to mention all of them, such as boost leaks, bad plugs, leaking DV's, driver skill, even just a slower motor from the factory. To think it's exclusively an exhaust is foolish and awfully assuming on your part.

Also, since I believe you are the same Enrique as EBWERKS - it seems you may have an agenda here and this is the last time I am going to say I am not going to debate this with you. I'm done.

There is nothing wrong with a 2.5 exhaust and it makes great power. My car has run 11.0 1/4 mile times repeatedly, trapping well into the 130's with a 2.5 at only 1.2 bar - the car was literally a couple of hundreths off of a 10.9 on street tires and only 1.2 bar. In fact, a 3.0 did nothing to improve the 1/4 mile ET or trap speed. How many cars have run 11.0 at 132 on 1.2 bar on street tires? I don't know of any. So suffice it makes plenty of power. For those of you that own or are considering owning a SpeedTech 2.5 system, don't listen to this guy - He obviously has an agenda...the Speedtech 2.5 is a component of one of the fastest K24/18G cars on 6speed and was at about #10 on the list of all Porsches, until people started running 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 bar and up, E85, meth, etc.
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
John, Your systems are proven. You yourself are proven too. My experience shows 2.5'' is good till 750-800hp. Guys remember afew things our exhaust are short so pipe size is different then on your daddy's Chevy. 2.5'' is only handling 3 cylinders or half the motor unless you have a x style that is 2.5'' at the crossover.

Tim,

So is the "2.5" quiet" not a true 2.5" system from the turbo flange ? It is just a 2.5" AFTER the x pipe ? If that is the case, I wouldn't call that a "2.5" exhaust. ".

This statement reminds me, of the intercoolers thread when Earl3 found out some aftermarket intercoolers didn't work as claimed- and people where in denial. Earl actually used scientific testing.
It would be nice if we can get one done for exhaust. Earl, are you up for the agenda ?

Last edited by f1crazydriver; 08-18-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
What is a dragged race? Was something tied to the bumper?

My old Europipe loud, even w/ cats removed had very little drone, so I imagine the quite w/ cats would have none.

Now, for big power cars w/ full 3 inch exhausts, there is no way around some drone.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:41 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I'm going to ask any vendor posting to this thread do so only in response to the OP's post. The other commentary is a side show, and this thread is not the place for it.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Administrator
IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !
I am following to see if we all act appropriately.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:39 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Enrique,

Agenda or not, everyone has their own unique experience that colors their interpretation of physical "data". I have to admit that while I dont agree with him, Enrique has brought it up before in a cpl other threads re: that he doesnt think exhaust makes such a big difference - based on his experience running other cars with exhausts.

Personally I picked up 40HP (crank) when I did my 9ff exhaut years ago. Besides it being drone free (both modes) it has a quiet switch via mufller bypass pierburg valves.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No Drone? Is there such a thing?