996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

No Drone? Is there such a thing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Please explain or better yet do you have pics of this "switch" you speak about.
This can possibly solve a lot of drone/flow issues with some good exhausts on the market.

Is this switch like QTP / Mccord power plate electric cutout?

On my previous Supra I had a 4" elbow/down pipe off my turbo into a 3.5" Y pipe. Off that y pipe I had a 3.5" QTP electric plate and I hit a switch and you have the best flowing exhaust possible (with drone). With it closed it ran through my stock cat and exhaust system and was Lexus quiet.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Originally Posted by ttpopo
Agenda or not, everyone has their own unique experience that colors their interpretation of physical "data". I have to admit that while I dont agree with him, Enrique has brought it up before in a cpl other threads re: that he doesnt think exhaust makes such a big difference - based on his experience running other cars with exhausts.

Personally I picked up 40HP (crank) when I did my 9ff exhaut years ago. Besides it being drone free (both modes) it has a quiet switch via mufller bypass pierburg valves.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
My agenda is simple. Inform buyers of what they are really getting and not propaganda being fed.

Spark plugs ? We changed them at the same time, together. I helped him change his, he helped me change mine. Same day. I only boost to .9. So yes, maybe I do have a boost leak ? He also boost to .9. Driver skill ? It dosen't that much, its just shifting. Even then, everyone who knows this person- knows he is a great driver.

The forum stopped being a helpful place when people can't actually share information of a product. Or when vendors misinform users.

Tim,

So is the "2.5" quiet" not a true 2.5" system from the turbo flange ? It is just a 2.5" AFTER the x pipe ? If that is the case, I wouldn't call that a "2.5" exhaust. ".

This statement reminds me, of the intercoolers thread when Earl3 found out some aftermarket intercoolers didn't work as claimed- and people where in denial. Earl actually used scientific testing.
It would be nice if we can get one done for exhaust. Earl, are you up for the agenda ?
Sometimes I wonder why I even post. There are a lot of things that are at play. Those of us who laided thousands of inches of bead know why, What, when too, and how too. I will no longer give free lessons on what I know.

Food for thought, 1400 hp 4 banger uses 4'' exhaust 1800 hp supra use a 4'' exhaust too. You have stock k16 cars running twin 3'' exhaust. I basically run no exhaust but my car is purpose built and I do not care what is sounds like or any other thing. I want zero back psi after the turbo. If my car was a DD or my girl drove it around I would run John's, miltec, EP, Switzer or hell even stock.. No sense to build one when there are so many good choices out there. Now if you want something your own or to be different then yes build your own or have it built for you. Enough is enough.. Anyone who installs a 3'' system on a k16 car needs to just find a good charity to send that money too. Ok Ok hold on there killer.... Unless that person plans a a30 or bigger build shortly or it will be up for sale to the next unsatisfied customer.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:39 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Sometimes I wonder why I even post. There are a lot of things that are at play. Those of us who laided thousands of inches of bead know why, What, when too, and how too. I will no longer give free lessons on what I know.

Food for thought, 1400 hp 4 banger uses 4'' exhaust 1800 hp supra use a 4'' exhaust too. You have stock k16 cars running twin 3'' exhaust. I basically run no exhaust but my car is purpose built and I do not care what is sounds like or any other thing. I want zero back psi after the turbo. If my car was a DD or my girl drove it around I would run John's, miltec, EP, Switzer or hell even stock.. No sense to build one when there are so many good choices out there. Now if you want something your own or to be different then yes build your own or have it built for you. Enough is enough.. Anyone who installs a 3'' system on a k16 car needs to just find a good charity to send that money too. Ok Ok hold on there killer.... Unless that person plans a a30 or bigger build shortly or it will be up for sale to the next unsatisfied customer.
Whats that you say ? You would even use a stock exhaust,you mean the clamp,,,

Old 08-19-2012, 02:24 PM
evil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud of
Bottom line, back pressure = bad. If aftermarket posted back pressures, it would be easier to choose from. Sure turbo size and output play a huge factor but if they were all tested on " X" turbo size and recorded as such, there would be no question as to what makes power.

Engine output, pipe diameter, over all length, wether the merge, etc, all play a huge part.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:46 PM
dragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond repute
I think everyone's perception of drone varies. I don't get drone in my miltek 100 cells either. And my definition of drone is buzzing in the cabin. There are certain points where it's extremely loud, I'd say between 2000-2200rpm and anything after 3200rpm, but never any buzzing. And by buzzing I mean harmonic resonance with something else in the car that causes the "droning" noise in the cabin.

See this video about what I mean.

Last edited by dragonman4; 08-19-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
when i was headed to the track my buddy had a decible app on his fone. he recorded 110 d/b at 81 mph 2900 rpm in 6th gear. that was downright loud!! drop it to 5th and 3200 rpm and it dropped to 94 d/b. gas mileage suffers but at least i can hear myself think!

Old 08-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Whats that you say ? You would even use a stock exhaust,you mean the clamp,,,
LOL.. The tips, Sleeper style.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:01 PM
SpoolBus is infamous around these parts
Talking

I hear NO drone on my Milltek BUT I guess its how you drive your car AND depends how good your hearing is..LOL..
LOL

I picked up the AWE-Tuning exhaust and have never looked back! A buddy of mine with a B6 S4 turned me onto their exhaust when I heard his car. I checked out their site and they have a video of their exhaust. Sounds close to identical to the sound in their video. I'll warn you that if you get it you won't be able to stay out of the throttle!

Old 08-21-2012, 10:11 PM
911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !
Fast forward to 1:05 on the History of RUF part 4 vid you'll be rewarded with an amazing exhaust takeoff clip and it makes absolutely no drone and the quad tips look amazing.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Yes, but that is not a turbo. As soon as you add a turbo, you are effectively adding a muffler and the sound can never be the same as NA. Bummer really...

Old 08-22-2012, 12:29 PM
uschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bbywu
Great comparisons, thanks for the information.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:34 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Slider
Yes, but that is not a turbo. As soon as you add a turbo, you are effectively adding a muffler and the sound can never be the same as NA. Bummer really...
You should listen to the EB exhaust, you might be surprised..

Old 08-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Basic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant future
You should listen to the EB exhaust, you might be surprised..
Any true xpipe will sound very NA

Old 08-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Basic
Any true xpipe will sound very NA
...REALLY??..Theirs does sound different ??..

Old 08-23-2012, 10:58 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Just my $.02 but I had a FabSpeed exhaust at one time, it had quite a bit of drone at 2700-3500rpm and was quickly removed and sold. I ponied up and paid the big bucks for a Europipe 2 Loud, I was concerned I would wake my neighbors when I go on my early morning weekend drives, but couldn't be farther from the truth. It sounded AMAZING with no drone whatsoever. This is what the turbo should sound like from the factory. I had that exhaust for a few years, not a single complaint and loved every single drive.

When building my new motor, I really had wanted to keep the EP2 exhaust but it just wasn't possible, again, I was concerned with a loud obnoxious exhaust that would irritate my neighbors as well as the brain rattling headaches from drone, but Todd/Protomotive was right on the money with his 4" pipe cross exhaust, it has a very unique sound but doesn't sound like a 1000hp nightmare when starting up at 0500 on a Saturday morning but no mistaking there is a beast waiting to be opened up on the road. I believe they also can make a 3 and 3.5" version as well. Again, very impressed with the quality/workmanship, a symphony of internal combustion motor sounds with no drone.

Here is a quick clip of a drive by

Last edited by DEEPBLUE; 08-23-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typos