996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Can I replace the Clutch Accumulator only?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:45 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Can I replace the Clutch Accumulator only?

I think my accumulator is going out (and was probably always bad from the time I got the car I just didn't know the symptoms as it was my first 996tt). It's still drivable and softens up after idling for 20 seconds and then is good to go but i've checked the slave and it doesn't appear to be leaking any fluid.

I know a new accumulator is about 140 bucks from suncoast and frankly all the DIY's are a bit over my head (and current tool selection) so two questions (that searching hasn't yet yielded).

1. Can I just replace the accumulator? Or do I have to replace the slave, the clutch line, the master, etc.
2. Does anyone know roughly what an Indy would charge for this? I've heard dealers charging 1000 bucks to do it but if you know what you're doing it should be a sub 1-hour job correct and only 140 bucks for parts?

I just have no want or need to jump up to the GT2 slave conversion... just want to minimize the amount of money I put into the car to keep it on the road and enjoying it as is.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:13 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
1: Yes
2: It takes maximum an hour (+- 1 hour for first timer) to do this job but of course there is some bleeding to do on one port on the slave....+ clutch reservoir to re service with pentosyn.....

Last edited by jpflip; 08-20-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:17 PM
mt10argyll is infamous around these parts
I replaced mine last year, took me a couple of hours. l imagine the garage would be about an hour, i didnt have to bleed the slave just topped up little fluid

Old 08-20-2012, 03:29 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Just looked in the repair manual page 676 and in fact mt10argyll is right, no bleeding required only depressing the clutch pedal 10 times after reservoir top up. I am surprised.....

Last edited by jpflip; 08-20-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:36 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Thank you for the input gents!

Old 08-21-2012, 08:50 PM
SpoolBus is infamous around these parts
Hey guys,
Along the lines of changing the accumulator - Would strange vibration in the clutch pedal be an identifier to a need to change the clutch accumulator? Thanks

Old 08-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by SpoolBus
Hey guys,
Along the lines of changing the accumulator - Would strange vibration in the clutch pedal be an identifier to a need to change the clutch accumulator?
Thanks

THe accumulator is to release the force required to depress the clutch pedal. Imo I don't think there is any relation between clutch vibration and an accumulator failure...

Old 08-21-2012, 09:50 PM
mdd
mdd is infamous around these parts
SpoolBus,
Yes, when your accumulator is toast, you will feel a slight vibration in the clutch pedal as it is depressed.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:05 PM
SpoolBus is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mdd
SpoolBus,
Yes, when your accumulator is toast, you will feel a slight vibration in the clutch pedal as it is depressed.
Bingo! I'm glad I asked. I've been wondering what that was. Started a couple months back. Also, before I turn the engine over the clutch pedal is harder to depress. Guessing that is normal?

Old 08-22-2012, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by mdd
SpoolBus,
I've learn something today, never notice on mine but good to know, thanks.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:10 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SpoolBus
Also, before I turn the engine over the clutch pedal is harder to depress. Guessing that is normal?
normal, if your accumulator is failing. the slave isn't usually far behind. replacing the accumulator only, usually means a slave replacement is in your future also. best to replace them both simultaneously, but sometimes the cheaper fix is to just do the accumulator... and wait and hope

just part of the joy

Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 AM
mt10argyll is infamous around these parts
I only changed Accumulator, that was two years and 15000mls ago. The slave is still fine, but I know a few people do change it at the same time. suppose its how lucky you feel....

Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 AM
mdd
mdd is infamous around these parts
I've heard the "accumulator/slave fail at the same time" comment many times on the forum but I'm in the same boat as mt10argyll. I changed only my failed accumulator 2 years and 10K miles ago. Original slave is still working fine.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:12 PM
bng4god has a spectacular aura aboutbng4god has a spectacular aura about
There have also been other cases where owners have changed the clutch accumulator only to have to replace the slave cylinder soon after. So just a word of warning that an instance of two does not guarantee that your situation will be the same and that the "accumulator/slave fail at the same time" is more than just a theory.

I know there might be a tendency for readers to "hear what they want to hear" so I just wanted to point out the other side.

Last edited by bng4god; 08-22-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
In the first few months of ownership my accumulator went bad. I noticed it early on when my clutch pedal developed this judder when being depressed. My indie said I could just replace the accumulator only, and he charged me for the part plus 2 hours labor. I should have listened to Kevin @ UMW who said do both. A year later (around 6000 miles) my slave was toast and sure enough I needed to replace both units for a very large sum.

How long do you plan on keeping the car? Obviously this call will be a gamble, but if your slave has never been replaced, then it could seemingly go at any moment. For me, these parts seemed to develop issues after the car sat for an extended period of time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can I replace the Clutch Accumulator only?