996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How good is the AWD in the snow?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:38 PM
JETmn is infamous around these partsJETmn is infamous around these parts
How good is the AWD in the snow?

So I was pretty much set on getting a 996tt and have been reading around on here for over a month and have seen the lackluster reviews of the AWD system. The bang for the buck of the 996tt is unmatched right now and I am looking for a nice daily driver since I have a pretty long commute, I want to enjoy it!

That being said my criteria were as light as possible, 3600 lb max, turbo 6 cyl or easily turbo'd 8 cyl, AWD, the ability to make 600+whp without tons of work and preferably $40-50k. I live in Minnesota, so the AWD is a must for a year around car (I won't ever drive a FWD). I will obviously get some dedicated snow tires for the winter.

Will the AWD be good enough to get me around? I know it isn't going to be like it is in the Evo, but I just need some extra help over a RWD. My driveway is probably the biggest obstacle, it is pretty steep with a good sized curb at the bottom so I can't get much of a running start. I also have a 4wd SUV to drive if it is super bad, but I want to drive the 911 99% of the time.

Has anyone driven a 996tt in the winter? How was it? How about with snow tires?

Last edited by JETmn; 08-21-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Basic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant future
Driven in the winter/snow with the standard awd and with LSD on conti extremecontact all seasons. Cars only issue is ground clearance, with psm on or off (more fun) it doesnt have much issue getting around. Biggest bang for the buck would be a decent LSD, makes snow and slippery roads much more fun and turns it into a 3wd vs 1 fwd and 1 rwd.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:54 PM
wheelman21 is infamous around these partswheelman21 is infamous around these parts
I drove mine last year for its first winter. I had Blizzaks on the stock twists. It wasn't as good as my audi, but it got up my hill, which is quite steep. It isn't a tank, but it's workable if you know how to drive a manual. You can have some fun for sure. That being said, last winter was quite mild here in NY and I'm hoping to keep my TT in the garage as much as possible this year in the deep snow. With the right tires and a light touch from your right foot and a good feel with your left, you should be fine.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:02 AM
That is good to hear! I expected the ground clearance issue and was planning on running a stock height, or close to it, suspension. I was beginning to think I would have to stretch the budget and get a 997tt. This leaves me with some modding money.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:10 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
rwd on narrow 275 dunlop snow tires.
no problem at all, unless i was looking for it.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I've been driving my TT for two winters now. It is like a tank in the snow. I was out playing with the 4WD pick-up trucks last year during a storm. Amazing to see their faces when you blast through the snow when the light turns green!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Excellent! I feel much better now. Now the long 6 month wait until I can get one...

Old 08-22-2012, 11:47 PM
Ajs76 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JETmn
Excellent! I feel much better now. Now the long 6 month wait until I can get one...
I think the only time you really NEED AWD in the snow is big hills, and this car's horrible (I mean unique) weight distribution is a huge advantage.

Living in CO there are a ton of hills, and I had 0 problems last year with sport snow tires (LM60s). If I got a truly hardcore snow tire like WS70's it would just be pure overkill.

You should be fine - even in MN.