996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Handheld tuner like CobbTuning AccessPORT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 11:06 PM
farmboy is infamous around these parts
Handheld tuner like CobbTuning AccessPORT?

Is there anything like the CobbTuning AccessPORT for Porsche? It'd be nice to be able to load some sensible canned programs like bump the boost, high altitude, change the injector size, switch to E85, and then read out the timing and knock reports.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/AccessPORT-s/70458.htm

Old 08-27-2012, 12:06 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
nothing that is widely used... if that would be possible then there would be no need for tuners lol The Porsche code is a little more complex then just bumping on the boost... lol there are a handful of maps that need to be adjusted just to change the boost... fuel as well.... etc...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 08-27-2012, 12:21 AM
sure... you'd still need a tuner, track and dyno to get the most out of it. but fuel, timing, boost, limits, cel ranges -> canned programs to start.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:10 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Only GIAC has one I know of. But for the price you can buy a laptop and a tune from lots of vendors. Comes with Durametric cable so you can data log.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:54 AM
Banned
MannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the roughMannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the roughMannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the rough
Revo has flashloader if I'm not mistaken

Old 08-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
we all have flash loaders... he wants to be able to make most of the primary adjustments on his own... and that is not widely used not accepted... imagine how many motors would be popping....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 08-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Fire is just really niceFire is just really niceFire is just really niceFire is just really niceFire is just really nice
Old 08-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
we all have flash loaders... he wants to be able to make most of the primary adjustments on his own... and that is not widely used not accepted... imagine how many motors would be popping....
Not wildly used in the European car community, but very widely used in the U.S. and Japanese models.

Without significant "motor poppint".

Simple things like the Apex S-AFC has been used for years to simply manipulate the MAF voltage to add or take out fuel. It does have an effect on other parameters (such as timing), but works well for the minor wide open throttle adjustments most people need needed.

More advanced "piggyback" computers like the Greddy E-Manage Ultimate will do a whole lot more such as raised rev limits, converting from the MAF to speed density, ignition timing etc. I assuming the voltage range for the European cars is not the basic 0-5volts you see on a lot of Japanese cars and this is part of the issue, but these are being used successfully.

Of course you have software like LS1edit for the domestic GM products and Diablo Sport for the Fords.

I'm also curious why this has not become more prevelant in the European car community. I don't mind paying to have my car tuned professionally as a simple boost controller, fuel computer and wideband O2 will cost as much as a tune and give you way less capabilities, but I hate having to pay for it again and again everytime I change something.

Later, Steve

Old 08-27-2012, 12:59 PM
I'm an engineer and long time enthusiast - so being able to do things myself on occasion is part of the hobby for me. I'm a big fan of the OEM ECU.... and EuroDyne that looks like the ticket. Thanks.

Last edited by farmboy; 08-27-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Basic Sponsor
Some of us do not charge extra for retunes
Owners are scared of a ebc let alone a end user controller with tuning capabilities.
Markski

Old 08-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Most end users use the Cobb access port to hold the tunes provided by a professional tuner. They store multiple maps, data log, record and reset CEL's. Yes you can tune with them, but I think something like this would be pretty cool. Nice little unit for less than $600.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Banned
MannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the roughMannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the roughMannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
I heard you can adjust boost, timming, fuel quality...etc with Revo

Old 08-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by MannschaftQ8
I heard you can adjust boost, timming, fuel quality...etc with Revo
Very Limited adjustments. Nothing like a aem stand alone for other cars.
Like I said, nothing popular in the P car market... client prefer to leave it to the knowledgable... I have a hard time convincing most to use a EBC let alone being able to adjust timing, boost, and afrs..
just saying..

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 08-27-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm not scared of an EBC or tuning. I brought some of the first realtime tuning to Hondas back in the 90s. But I'd bet there are lots more like me. Thus we see availability of things like Cobbtuning, GIAC, and EuroDyne. The hobby has got to try new things with a new perspective every-so often, otherwise it gets stale.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
As soon as I need a clutch, I'm adding an EBC and alcohol injection.

Unfortunately I'll also want injectors which will require a new tune.

Later, Steve

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Handheld tuner like CobbTuning AccessPORT?