996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Price Check: '03 TT 15k miles (Midnight over Natural Brown)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 03:15 PM
SammyTown is infamous around these parts
Price Check: '03 TT 15k miles (Midnight over Natural Brown)

Hi everyone - after a four year hiatus from Porsche (used to have an '04 4S), I'm very seriously looking at coming back into the fold for a 996 TT. The specific car is an '03 Midnight Blue over Natural Brown TT with following options:

Code Option Description
X54 Oval Chrome Exhaust Pipes
X99 Natural Leather
342 Heated Seats
440 (Can't determine)
586 Lumbar Support
665 PCM2 Radio
670 PCM2 Nav

Car is two owner and spent it's life in a heated garage. I have all records, accident free, clean carfax and it's been looked over with paint meter.
I have not yet done a PPI but it was just serviced at local P dealer and it received new clutch accumulator, new brake pads and new tires. Obviously, I'd get a full PPI with DME readout if I strike an agreement on price.

And that brings me to my question: Is $50k too much for this car? If so, what's a realistic offer price. the car is not advertised as of now but seller will put it on EBay / Craigslist if I don't want to buy.
Thoughts / feedback appreciated. I'm excited about getting back to a Porsche. Thanks!

Old 08-30-2012, 03:32 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
If it's in perfect condition, I'd say that's a steal for that kind of mileage. It's a relatively rare color combo as well.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:59 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
If the PPI checks out I would buy it for 50K, low miles and really like the color combo - I have the Lapis Blue/Nat Brown int.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:08 PM
thomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of light
Midnight Blue for the win!
Any mods?
You will likely have normal maintenance issues as this car has not seen alot of action yet. Regardless, IMO $50k is a fair deal as long as PPI checks out. I doubt I would go higher, and I think something like $40k is a true lowball (given the info at hand).
I would suggest that if you are going to move ahead with this - jump on it quickly. (PPI first !)

Old 08-30-2012, 09:37 PM
docjmj is a jewel in the roughdocjmj is a jewel in the roughdocjmj is a jewel in the roughdocjmj is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
If it's in perfect condition, I'd say that's a steal for that kind of mileage. It's a relatively rare color combo as well.
This would be the third Midnight blue/natural I know of.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:37 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by docjmj
This would be the third Midnight blue/natural I know of.
There is an '05 TT X50 in my area with that color combo....but he's not selling.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:08 AM
ecudooberhead is infamous around these parts
I personally think $50K is at least a couple grand too high for a non X50, but that is an unusual/awesome color combo.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:13 AM
Ajs76 is infamous around these parts
I think whether or not it's a good deal depends on your plans when you get the car. Are you a modder? If so, buying a stock car for 50k might not be the best deal - I would try to find something that has at least SOMETHING done to it as those things will be dollars in your pocket. I'm thinking mods like SSK, wheels, suspension etc. that is often done but also expensive.

That said, if you are going to keep it relatively stock and then 47-50k is probably a reasonable deal.

Me personally, I'd be scared of such a low mileage car - make sure the PPI covers what kind of maintenance needs to be done even if the mileage wouldn't normally call for it.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:16 AM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
If it looks and checks out as good as it sounds, $50k is a fair price.

I tried to buy a car that had that color combo 4 years ago, it didn't work out; the bank (owner of the lien) was looking for the car 3 weeks later, owner skipped town :-)

Old 08-31-2012, 09:24 AM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Ajs76
I think whether or not it's a good deal depends on your plans when you get the car. Are you a modder? If so, buying a stock car for 50k might not be the best deal - I would try to find something that has at least SOMETHING done to it as those things will be dollars in your pocket. I'm thinking mods like SSK, wheels, suspension etc. that is often done but also expensive.

That said, if you are going to keep it relatively stock and then 47-50k is probably a reasonable deal.

Me personally, I'd be scared of such a low mileage car - make sure the PPI covers what kind of maintenance needs to be done even if the mileage wouldn't normally call for it.
It could be it's only ever had one oil change, I think it was a 12 or 15k interval for the 2003! When I bought mine it had 17k, that was like 4.5 years ago. I wouldn't be scared though; get the PPI, then I would do the maintenance stuff "prematurely" (engine oil, trans oil, plugs ect)

Old 08-31-2012, 10:32 AM
SammyTown is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all the feedback / opinion. I appreciate it. I'd likely just do a few mods to the TT. In particular, flash (UMW), exhaust and new suspension (I have KWv3's on my Audi S6 and love them). The car has been fully maintained with at least one oil change per year. All fluids just replaced. I love the color combo

Here's a few pix:

Old 08-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Ajs76 is infamous around these parts
I like the leather color. Looks good.

So here's my thinking. You just listed like 6-9k in mods with an additional 4k for a clutch job because of the flash.

So realistically, you're potentially purchasing a 63k car to get it to your liking. It's pretty easy (especially on these forums) to find those mods on a car as is and it's unlikely you will pay much more than 50k for it. I would highly recommend waiting for a "lightly" modded car like you described above.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:49 AM
aggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud of
If you're going to be doing any amount of driving it's not worth the extra cost buying an extremely low mileage Porsche. You quickly lose the low mileage premium.

In addition cars that aren't driven enough can have issues down the road.

I bought my first 911 (5 years old at the time) with 17k on the odometer. It had been babied too much and tended to over-use oil, 0-rings hadn't set properly.

I bought my current car, 2004 TT Cab with 42k on the odometer a month ago. For me 40-50k mileage was the sweet spot. Enough driving that engine had been driven, no low mileage premium being charged and not enough to have to immediately get major work done.

As always find a good independent and get a full PPI.