996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Looks like I have a bad valve lifter...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 07:02 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Looks like I have a bad valve lifter...

So, I just got my car back from having the engine dropped and my coolant pipes welded among other things. After putting about 30 miles on the car, I drove it this morning putting another 15 miles on it, stopped off for a few minutes and got in, restarted the car and I hear a fairly loud ticking noise. Crap. Called my shop, they sent their mechanic out and confirmed it was the valve lifter on the #3 cylinder drivers side after listening to it with a stethoscope. I had a stuck lifter about a year ago when the car sat for about a month and it made the same ticking sound after being started but slowly went away as the engine idled and the oil warmed up to temperature. I figured it was just some old oil that gelled up and caused one of the lifters to stick. Unfortunately this time around the ticking did not go away. I drove the car and all was normal with no check engine lights or codes but the ticking remained.

I am going to have to have the engine dropped, again!, and have the lifter replaced. Anyone have any issues like this before? The car is a 36K mile 2002 550 Rturbo so I'm running at a fairly benign power level but it does see the track quite a bit. Redline is set by RUF at 7200rpm but I generally don't run it past 6800 or so. Any suggestions here? I am assuming that it would be wise to swap out all 24 intake/exhaust lifter while there. Anyone know the correct part numbers as I believe there have been some improvements in the original lifters. Any help, thoughts or suggestions here will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 08-31-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:08 PM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
996 105 255 25 is the new version intlet and 996 105 041 72 outletside

i have this updated lifters installed...

after a month standstill is a short ticking noise for a few seconds okay....

if the lifter stick.....do a try and rev your engine with hot oil till 6800 under acceleration....maybe it goes away

Last edited by winnigt2; 08-31-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:28 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by winnigt2
996 105 255 25 is the new version intlet and 996 105 041 72 outletside

i have this updated lifters installed...

after a month standstill is a short ticking noise for a few seconds okay....

if the lifter stick.....do a try and rev your engine with hot oil till 6800 under acceleration....maybe it goes away
Thank you for the part numbers. I've read some of the other threads here and the part number for the exhaust side was listed as 996 105 041 73 (instead of 72 you have listed) but I think you are correct because when I google the 73 number it comes up with a GT3 while the 72 is listed for our cars.

I tried just as you state, took the car for a drive and gradually accelerated raising the RPM up to 6500 or so but no luck, the ticking remained. Oh well, hopefully the new lifters will take care of it. Anything else that would make sense upgrading while in there? I just wish this problem surfaced when I had my car in the shop last week with the engine out... Really bad timing I guess with this problem cropping up 3 days after getting the car back with 4 track days planned over the next week. Oh well.... The good news is my shop will work overtime to turn it in 3-4 days, the gearbox cooler and LSD works like a champ, and I love the GT2 clutch....

Last edited by pwdrhound; 08-31-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:14 PM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Thank you for the part numbers. I've read some of the other threads here and the part number for the exhaust side was listed as 996 105 041 73 (instead of 72 you have listed) but I think you are correct because when I google the 73 number it comes up with a GT3 while the 72 is listed for our cars.

I tried just as you state, took the car for a drive and gradually accelerated raising the RPM up to 6500 or so but no luck, the ticking remained. Oh well, hopefully the new lifters will take care of it. Anything else that would make sense upgrading while in there? I just wish this problem surfaced when I had my car in the shop last week with the engine out... Really bad timing I guess with this problem cropping up 3 days after getting the car back with 4 track days planned over the next week. Oh well.... The good news is my shop will work overtime to turn it in 3-4 days, the gearbox cooler and LSD works like a champ, and I love the GT2 clutch....
sorry if the noise goes away.....i had sometimes luck with this procedure but drive the car a longer time not only short revs...

if you renew lifters....check your timingchain exactly ...link for link at the chain ...at my chain one link has had a hairline crack and two links was broken...check your oilfilter and if its clean everything should be in order and the rest i am shure knows your repairshop

Last edited by winnigt2; 08-31-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:44 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Same lifter that i had a problem with an rhen my Rod developed a nice kink
In it. Have it address soon buddy

Old 08-31-2012, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by winnigt2
sorry if the noise goes away.....i had sometimes luck with this procedure but drive the car a longer time not only short revs...

if you renew lifters....check your timingchain exactly ...link for link at the chain ...at my chain one link has had a hairline crack and two links was broken...check your oilfilter and if its clean everything should be in order and the rest i am shure knows your repairshop
I drove the car for about 20 miles with no change. It seems that even if the lifter gets "unstuck" then there is a problem and it will surface again. Thanks for the advice. I'll have the shop look at the timing chain....

Last edited by pwdrhound; 08-31-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by PALETTE
Same lifter that i had a problem with an rhen my Rod developed a nice kink
In it. Have it address soon buddy
Your rod developed a kink? I'm not sure I understand. You bent a rod due to a failed lifter??

Old 08-31-2012, 11:58 PM
dragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond repute
I have a stuck lifter when I first fire up the car, but it stops after it warms up a little. I'm assuming it was because I was using the 5w-40 M1 TDT. Didn't have the ticking noise when I test drove it before I bought it and the previous owner was using Castrol I think.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:59 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
How much are lifters and how much does it run in labor to swap out for the new ones?

Old 09-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by unvmy996
How much are lifters and how much does it run in labor to swap out for the new ones?
Parts for all 24 lifters is in the neighborhood of $1800-1900 at retail. Labor is right at 16 hours since the motor has to come out. The new lifters sold now are apparently an improved version over what came on these cars.

Interesting read:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...r-lifters.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ers-again.html

Old 09-01-2012, 12:13 AM
dragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm crossing my fingers that mine doesn't fail. Since I had a fresh engine installed at 8k that was a crate engine, I'm hoping it has the updated lifters. Do you know when porsche started making the updated lifters by chance?

Old 09-01-2012, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by dragonman4
I have a stuck lifter when I first fire up the car, but it stops after it warms up a little. I'm assuming it was because I was using the 5w-40 M1 TDT. Didn't have the ticking noise when I test drove it before I bought it and the previous owner was using Castrol I think.

Similar to what happened to me last year. After the car sat for about a month I started it up and had a stuck lifter. I let the car idle and it freed up as the car warmed up. Figured it was just a fluke and now it's back. I think once you have it it will come back as the lifter is slowly going bad. The problem is there and it will manifest itself sooner or later. Last year I ran M1 5W50 and this year M1 5w40TDT. I don't think oil is the culprit..

Old 09-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Similar to what happened to me last year. After the car sat for about a month I started it up and had a stuck lifter. I let the car idle and it freed up as the car warmed up. Figured it was just a fluke and now it's back. I think once you have it it will come back as the lifter is slowly going bad. The problem is there and it will manifest itself sooner or later. Last year I ran M1 5W50 and this year M1 5w40TDT. I don't think oil is the culprit..
Hmm, guess I should start looking to get new lifters then because I can hear it ticking away every time I fire up the car cold now. I do see a few very tiny pieces of metal when I do my oil changes, so I knew something was up, but I figured 2-3 small bits were normal. That sucks.

Also, I'm mechanically retarded but I'm assuming to listen to the cylinders with a stethoscope would require lifting the back end up no? Or was the mechanic able to get to it with just the hood up?

Old 09-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by dragonman4
Also, I'm mechanically retarded but I'm assuming to listen to the cylinders with a stethoscope would require lifting the back end up no? Or was the mechanic able to get to it with just the hood up?
He lied down behind the back bumper and reached under the car with a stethoscope so he could listen to each cylinder. Yeah, if you're getting valve tick every time you start the car then it's only a matter of time. In my case it showed up after I parked the car and restarted it 10 minutes later. Are you only getting it on one side. It should very apparent which side it's coming from..

Last edited by pwdrhound; 09-01-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:25 AM
I hear it ticking away on the left side I think. I'll have to double check.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looks like I have a bad valve lifter...