996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Blew my first MAF!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 07:06 PM
tom91722 is infamous around these parts
I have 3200 miles on my GT2 (don't laugh Sharky) bought it last month with 1500 miles. I have the EVO intake, flash and Fabspeed exhaust. No problems YET (knock on wood).

$#@%$#@^ screams.

Hey Alex ANWSER YOUR PHONE lol, Need my DV put in.

Old 06-18-2005, 08:19 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by tom91722
I have 3200 miles on my GT2 (don't laugh Sharky) bought it last month with 1500 miles. I have the EVO intake, flash and Fabspeed exhaust. No problems YET (knock on wood).

$#@%$#@^ screams.

Hey Alex ANWSER YOUR PHONE lol, Need my DV put in.
Heya buddy let's get the DV's done this week ok? **** my phone has been off da' hook today...

I aint laughing bud. I'm just glad you drive your GT2. You're just like James. You 2 drive drive drive!

Old 06-18-2005, 08:20 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by oak
I have 8500 miles original MAF and stock box.
how come so few miles bro? That car is a beauty...

Old 06-18-2005, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by offroad911
sharkster - In my case I had 3/4 tank. Came off the on ramp, nailed it and @ 100mph the engine just shut off for maybe half a sec. Right back on with PSM/ABS lights. Stopped 20 miles later, shut off the engine and upon restart had the CEL.

I am convinced that the EVO Air Box is the issue since PSI maps the ECU for the stock air box with BMC filter. The increased air flow of the Evo simply overwhelms the MAF sensor. I ran my remapped TT "S" hard for 1,200 miles before installing the EVO Air Box without any issue. Changed to the EVo air box and the first time I nail it I have issues. I will be reinstalling the stock air box next week.
OK. Well, I don't know much about the PSI software etc. Sounds like you hit fuel cut or the throttle body shut down, which is a natural response to the MAF signal going out If you can get them to red the CELs off with an OBD2 scanner or the PST2. Ask them which faults you got if you can and then report back

Old 06-18-2005, 08:26 PM
offroad911 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by sharkster If you can get them to red the CELs off with an OBD2 scanner or the PST2. Ask them which faults you got if you can and then report back.[/B]
I will absolutely get the codes and post them to this thread.

Old 06-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by offroad911
I will absolutely get the codes and post them to this thread.
Thanks that will help everyone figure out stuff It stores any of the triggered codes so it might give us an idea of what was going on before/during/after. "Might" being the key word

Old 06-18-2005, 10:36 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
Originally posted by sharkster
how come so few miles bro? That car is a beauty...
I know it's a shame. I injured my lower back last year. It's been rough, I couldn't even get into the turbo let alone drive it. Slow progress. The turbo has been an inspiration to get better.

Old 06-18-2005, 10:44 PM
tme
tme is infamous around these parts
I just replaced my MAF and here r some items. I had the PSM and ABS lights go on right after the PSM kicked in heavy and saved my ***, this happened 2 times-when I first got the car (appx 3,000 miles) and when I went on the "Ken needs a new lip and headers drive (appx 19,000 miles). I had to reboot the car (pull over and turn off then start) and all was fine. Before I realized the MAF was shot the car would not show/produce > .5 boost after I had really pushed it (1.0 from 2nd-6th). It was gone when I rebooted the car.... (both happened on the Ken header run) Don't know how it ties together or if it's the chip (happened at 2000 and 20000 mikes)

Old 06-18-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by oak
I know it's a shame. I injured my lower back last year. It's been rough, I couldn't even get into the turbo let alone drive it. Slow progress. The turbo has been an inspiration to get better.
Ah man sorry to hear that (now I remember you mentioning something a long time ago about it). I hope you do get better and soon. The Turbo IS a great inspiration to do that. Good luck!

Old 06-19-2005, 12:58 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I had the FVD Intake Plenum & EVO Air Box installed at the same time. On my first run after the installation my MAF fried. I was pulling a solid 1.2 bar in 4th and the throttle body must have closed. The gear braking was heavy. If I didn't have the seat belt on I'm sure I would have smashed my face on the windshield.

I've replaced the MAF, but am still getting a reoccuring CEL. I believe the code is P0130. My Pocket Logger (thank Ruiner) tells me the problem is an O2 sensor. Bank 1 Sensor 1. When looking at the real time voltages, bank 1 is about 1/2 of the reading from bank 2.

I taking the car into the shop next Wednesday to have the O2 sensor replaced and GT2 intercoolers installed. Hopefully my parts will arrive for the 700 kit and they will go in at the same time. This **** seams REAL hard to get ahold of. Any one else having troubles getting the parts???

I have no idea if the added airflow from the EVO box in conjunction with that of the FVD intake plenum caused any of these problems. Could be just another coincidental occurance. But a serious increase in air flow is obvious. Prior to their install, I would see 1.1 bar and hold 1.0. After the installation, I'm seeing 1.3 bar, sometimes holding it, and always holding 1.2.

My thought is that if too much air flow was the problem, the fuel system upgrade in the 700 kit may be what is required to balance things out. (?)

Mike

Last edited by Zippy; 06-19-2005 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:46 AM
MANA is infamous around these parts
It seems as is we have found the current weak link in a modified 996 TT. Hopefully there will be a more manly MAF produced soon.

I will add that altitude makes tuning much more difficult and will require a bit more tweaking than sea level. We are still working a few things out with my car.

Minor problems aside ... I still have major love for my P-Car.

Old 06-19-2005, 08:52 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
MANA, Is Stevinson covering the blown MAFs for your car? ( With all of your mods). Who is doing the tuning or is it DIY? Thanks.

I was thinking of going to Prestige.

Old 06-19-2005, 11:43 AM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Originally posted by oak
I have 8500 miles original MAF and stock box.
I have 24,000 miles, (15,000 FVD Stage 2, 6,000 FVD Stage 4) and I am on my original MAF...... I only run a BMC filter with Orig. box...
Evan

Last edited by AMG ETR; 06-19-2005 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:27 PM
vipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the rough
I have GIAC stage 4 GTR / Evo V-flow /FVD intake plenum, etc., etc. and I have a blown MAF as I write this

The MAF is a POS in my opinion, they are dropping left and right!

Old 06-19-2005, 03:30 PM
MANA is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by wross996TT
MANA, Is Stevinson covering the blown MAFs for your car? ( With all of your mods). Who is doing the tuning or is it DIY? Thanks.

I was thinking of going to Prestige.
Stevinson is not covering the MAFs. The tuning was/is being done by EVO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blew my first MAF!