996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
View Poll Results: Have You Blown MAF Sensor ?
Totally Stock
26.67%
Stock w/EVO Air Box
4.44%
Flash ECU w/Stock Air Box
22.22%
Flash ECU w/EVO Air Box
46.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Have you blown your MAF Sensor ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 07:03 PM
offroad911 is infamous around these parts
Have you blown your MAF Sensor ?

If you have blown an MAF Sensor, please complete the poll. If you have not blown an MAF Sensor, do not participate.
YES, I have blown MAF Sensor with the following :

Totally Stock - No EVO Air Box

Stock ECU w/EVO Air Box

Flashed ECU w/Stock Air Box

Flashed ECU w/EVO Air Box

Last edited by offroad911; 06-18-2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:06 PM
Cody_1 is infamous around these parts
Nice work on the poll, John. :-)

- Rich

Old 06-18-2005, 08:27 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
In all fairness to this poll you should add a section of box and chip and no problems.

Old 06-18-2005, 08:32 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
As I was saying before, I've blown MAF's when I did NOT have the EVO Airbox. In fact, I haven't yet blown one _with_ the EVO box, nor has anyone in NorCal that has one

There should be an addition to the poll "Bosch's worst part ever".

Old 06-18-2005, 08:34 PM
Stephen,This poll is only to develop a correlation between MAF failure and the EVO Air Box. I am sure there are folks who have not experienced failure both with and without the EVO Air Box. The only issue here IS MAF Sensor FAILURE and the EVO Air Box.

Old 06-18-2005, 08:35 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Stephen, I must admit that I love the car since it has been chipped and the EVO intake (by you). I was wondering, though, if altitude would present a problem? The biggest reason I added the EVO intake is the car already is starved for air, but I wonder if there could be something here in the thin air? Or it could just be a lousy MAF!

By the way...correlation has nothing to do with causation!

Old 06-18-2005, 08:38 PM
Cody_1 is infamous around these parts
Agreed- correlation does not prove causation (Business Law 101).

- Rich

Old 06-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by wross996TT
By the way...correlation has nothing to do with causation!
I don't disagree with Sharkster that the MAF is a poor excuse for a part, however the correlation is significant as it can show that the efficency of the EVO Air Box simply cannot be handled by the existing sensor.

The commercial sensitivity not withstanding, sometimes we need to observe that an aftermarket part can cause TT owners grief.

Old 06-18-2005, 08:46 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Here is my response from another board.
If it is a problem why have I not blown mine? Why has my employee not blown his? Lets take a pole on the average miles driven in a week. I very seriously doubt that any more than a handful clock the mileage I do and I have not had a problem.

If the MAF has any issue at all the added air flow would create an issue. If the MAF is healthy then there are no issues. Just like the plug issue. The chip got blamed but the plugs if old or the wrong heat range fouled. It wasn't the chip rather the plugs. If the plugs were healthy, no issues.

Old 06-18-2005, 08:51 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by offroad911
I don't disagree with Sharkster that the MAF is a poor excuse for a part, however the correlation is significant as it can show that the efficency of the EVO Air Box simply cannot be handled by the existing sensor.

The commercial sensitivity not withstanding, sometimes we need to observe that an aftermarket part can cause TT owners grief.
I think this poll is a good indication of end users... So far the pattern (four have killed the MAF with a stock box and no flash which means to me that even when stock they're poor) that I do still see is that the MAF is pretty poor I'm guessing that's why Porsche started to outfit 04 and newer cars with the new style one. They must know something we don't yet

Old 06-18-2005, 08:52 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally posted by offroad911
however the correlation is significant as it can show that the efficency of the EVO Air Box simply cannot be handled by the existing sensor.
I certainly don't want to get in a mathematical argument, but the best we can induce from the data would be an hopothesis from which to do deductive reasoning (go get some real data through planned sampling or an experimental design).

That being said...There does exist a theory the EVO box may cause more frequent MAF failures. Unfortunately us P car owners will never have enough data. I was led to believe EVO did testing. Perhaps this data is available (along with the sampling plan).

Old 06-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by PorschePhd
Here is my response from another board.
We know from experience that on 2001s Porsche used crappy Beru FR5 spark plugs and for 2002 moved up to colder Bosch FR6 plugs and hence there's no issues on the later cars. Anyone that wants to chip their car with an 01 TT should check to make sure they have FR6 plugs (there was actually a TSB for this) or upgrade..... Sorry to change focus here and I'm only letting some other 01 folks know of another minor issue

Old 06-18-2005, 08:58 PM
Yea and I have still had some dealers call me to say that our chip is causing a misfire issue. I have explained the TSB to have them say they did no know that. They change the plugs and call back with a "wow"

Old 06-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by PorschePhd
Yea and I have still had some dealers call me to say that our chip is causing a misfire issue. I have explained the TSB to have them say they did no know that. They change the plugs and call back with a "wow"
LOL what are they smoking? Tell them it's those six lil' French buggers that they stuck in there. I remember way back in summer of 03 when my car was misfiring like a **** Kevin and I were on the floor (he was showing me how) checking the plugs out. They were not too happy lookin' at all.

The moral is, if you have an 01 and even if you don't plan on chipping take the car to the dealer and print out the TSB for the FR5-FR6' and have them change 'em out. Your car will run so much better.

Old 06-19-2005, 08:03 AM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
Forgive the stupidity - what are the symptoms of a failed MAF?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Have you blown your MAF Sensor ?