996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just ordered my GT2 Clutch Conv Kit.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Just ordered my GT2 Clutch Conv Kit.....

Since my last outing to the track, my clutch had started slipping..so I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to do the clutch kit (cm stage3), gt2 conv and the usp inlet pipes (on order).

Today I ordered my gt2 clutch conv kit...and I'm anxious to find out how the pedal will feel after the install. I know w/the stock 996TT setup, the pedal was very hard to "tell" at times...sometimes it would be semi-hard and sometimes just very soft....I was under the impression that my accumulator was on it's way out either way.

Here's what the kit I ordered consists of:

GT2 mod bracket,
4 allen head mounting bolts M10-1.5x45mm (size-threading x length)
2 bolts for plugs
4 hose clamps
GT2 slave part number *
GT2 master part number *
GT2 assist spring part number *
Brake fluid reservoir cap part number*
GT2 hydraulic hose *
3 bottles of DOT Brake Fluid

Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2012, 07:29 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
whenever i hear of someone taking the plunge ( or should i say REMOVING the plunger? ) i'm rooting for ya, as i know it's only a matter of time for me. when i need a clutch. oem gt2 conversion. done.

never engaged one before myself, but i think it'll feel just like a porsche clutch used to, and should feel perfectly fine. personally, i don't mind the oem FEEL, per se, it's that bulbous thing that is always a minute away from failure

good luck with the install, and please post the results.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:39 PM
flavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond repute
Do yourself a favor and ditch the bracket. Bolt the thing right up the the tranny. Once you get the bracket installed, take a look under the car while your buddy presses the clutch. You'll be shocked at how much that bracket lets the slave move.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:56 PM
suprtran is infamous around these partssuprtran is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by vntperformance
Here's what the kit I ordered consists of:

GT2 mod bracket,
4 allen head mounting bolts M10-1.5x45mm (size-threading x length)
2 bolts for plugs
4 hose clamps
GT2 slave part number *
GT2 master part number *
GT2 assist spring part number *
Brake fluid reservoir cap part number*
GT2 hydraulic hose *
3 bottles of DOT Brake Fluid
I plan to do this conversion someday soon. Do you have the part #s for the items listed above? Where did you order parts from? How much did the entire kit total to?

Old 09-18-2012, 11:46 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Who's kit did you order?

Old 09-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
suprtran and unvmy996: YGPM

Old 09-19-2012, 04:02 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
There's no comparison between the feel stock and what you're going to. Have you searched on the forums? There's a lot of threads about this.

Between the change to the GT2 clutch and the stiffer pressure plate of the CM setup, your clutch pedal will require about 30-40 pounds of pressure to engage. I have this exact setup with the CM LWFW too (you didn't mention which FW you're going with?). I wouldn't want to drive this setup if I commuted in my car in traffic for sure. I also drive a lot with bare feet in the summer (or used to) but the clutch is too stiff for that now and is very difficult to drive without shoes on to take the pressure required to push the pedal. The clutch engagement is also much more difficult and you only have about 1/8" of pedal travel from no engagement to full engagement. I've been driving manuals since I was 12 years old on a farm driving tractors and have driven any kind of manual you can imagine, and the clutch engagement on the car now is the most difficult of anything I've ever driven. After several thousand miles I still haven't mastered the engagement especially on hills or other situations where I want to move off quickly.

Personally this is exactly what I wanted because I enjoy the performance feeling of the car much more than the light clutch it used to have. But there's no underestimating the difference in what your clutch will be like today versus after the change!

On a side note, have you looked into the other mods you should be doing at the same time as the clutch, in particular the coolant pipe mod (and replacements)? Take a look at my thread in my signature for more info.

Last edited by teflon_jones; 09-19-2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:04 AM
n360rb is a jewel in the roughn360rb is a jewel in the roughn360rb is a jewel in the roughn360rb is a jewel in the rough
I had it done recently and love it.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:55 AM
Banned
Teflon: reusing stock fw & its not my daily....so a predictable pedal to me if perfectly fine, I wouldn't be doing it w/o any research on my part.

N360b...I hope to be on the same boat!

Old 09-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
hope you got some good strong calf muscles!

car will be much easier to judge the engagement and for me at least, i like heavy clutches, I absolutely love it. It makes the car drivable whereas before it was too light and wouldnt give enough response back.

But it does take some extra force to work it all the time, as I said, get your calf muscle exercises up!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:36 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vntperformance
Teflon: reusing stock fw & its not my daily....so a predictable pedal to me if perfectly fine, I wouldn't be doing it w/o any research on my part.
I have to wonder about why you're reusing your fw then? Everything / everybody I know has said you really need to replace it. Resurfacing / reusing it is possible, but the problem is you won't really know until after it's all back together, and then you could be looking at having to pull it all back apart again to replace it. Much safer to just replace it while you're in there already (though it is an expensive part at a grand).

Old 09-19-2012, 12:51 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
I always find it amazing how cars with the same set up can have such different results.

I have the GT2 conversion (evoms), Clutch masters stage 3 and Clutch masters LWFW. The effort is not much more than stock. In fact I dont even notice it. I also drive bare footed. The engagement is just a bit off the floor and is very easy to modulate. No on- off feeling. At idle in first gear I can let out the clutch with out revving and be under way.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:53 PM
bng4god has a spectacular aura aboutbng4god has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by suprtran
I plan to do this conversion someday soon. Do you have the part #s for the items listed above? Where did you order parts from? How much did the entire kit total to?
Supertran: Go to this thread - all the information you will need.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tructions.html

Old 09-19-2012, 03:32 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TurboTodd
I always find it amazing how cars with the same set up can have such different results.

I have the GT2 conversion (evoms), Clutch masters stage 3 and Clutch masters LWFW. The effort is not much more than stock. In fact I dont even notice it. I also drive bare footed. The engagement is just a bit off the floor and is very easy to modulate. No on- off feeling. At idle in first gear I can let out the clutch with out revving and be under way.
Agree 100%...mine is not much more effort (and I have driven it with bare feet...LOL)...you'll love it.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I sure as heck hope when I finally do this mod that I end up with one of the easier to drive variants! There must be a good reason for the differences though?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just ordered my GT2 Clutch Conv Kit.....