996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Thinking of trading the Turbo for 997 CarreraS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Darth GF is infamous around these parts
Thinking of trading the Turbo for 997 CarreraS

Long story short, I bought a 996tt X50 a year ago. Reflashed it with UMW and it now has around 510hp from what I read.

Thing is, I'm a former F2000 racer and always craved for a faster car (owned a 300hp Elise, a 190hp Caterham and a 260hp turbo Miata). These cars were quick, with great handling but not none really "fast".

But the 996tt is fast on a whole other level. Very rarely do I take the car out for a drive and I don't hit 100mph+. Often I go over 120mph. The car can easily take it and me too. But the law enforcement doesn't.

So I'm thinking of switching to a 997 CarreraS. This car is still quick but will keep me out of trouble. I know, if I keep the throttle planted, that car can still go quite fast. But with the Turbo, often I don't even want to go that fast. It's just too damn easy.

Am I kidding myself? Anyone ever had these thoughts? Can you resist the temptation to step on it for more than a few seconds and keep sane speed levels?

Old 09-30-2012, 10:22 AM
scsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Darth GF
Long story short, I bought a 996tt X50 a year ago. Reflashed it with UMW and it now has around 510hp from what I read.

Thing is, I'm a former F2000 racer and always craved for a faster car (owned a 300hp Elise, a 190hp Caterham and a 260hp turbo Miata). These cars were quick, with great handling but not none really "fast".

But the 996tt is fast on a whole other level. Very rarely do I take the car out for a drive and I don't hit 100mph+. Often I go over 120mph. The car can easily take it and me too. But the law enforcement doesn't.

So I'm thinking of switching to a 997 CarreraS. This car is still quick but will keep me out of trouble. I know, if I keep the throttle planted, that car can still go quite fast. But with the Turbo, often I don't even want to go that fast. It's just too damn easy.

Am I kidding myself? Anyone ever had these thoughts? Can you resist the temptation to step on it for more than a few seconds and keep sane speed levels?
I have considered getting a different car for the same reason. I keep going back and forth but in the end I not sure I could separate with the power.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Fallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud of
Smile

Gentlemen, think about you're saying!
Too fast?
Hummmmmm. That's one of only two things I love about driving a turbo.

Just saying....

Old 09-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
its called maturity. the ability to resist doing things you know you shouldnt.
do you race every riced out honda that does a flyby on the interstate? same principle. drive the monster like a regular car on the street and wear it out on the track. ez peazy

Old 09-30-2012, 12:28 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
You'd do exactly the same thing in a 997 S, but in the back of your mind you'd know you should have kept the 996TT. The regret would make you dislike your car. Seems like operator error and has nothing to do with the car.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:12 PM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
what for ?

Just buy an ALG9 park hammer laser jammer they are fantastic and completely legal.

Mate im Australian we cant go over 110kms down here even on new freeways since I installed have not had a ticket.

If your really worried add a stealth radar detector as well.

Buddy keep the Turbo they are insane you can get so much for so little.

PM me if you need full details.

Cheers,

Tim

Last edited by timccloud; 09-30-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:58 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
What would you get with the 997 that you don't get with the 996? That is beside the porkiness and poor reliability?

Old 09-30-2012, 05:02 PM
The point is, I could use the throttle for more than 2sec at a time.
The turbo is crazy fast. I don't know how the 600hp+ guys do it.

I read the 997 forums today and found that the 997 still are plagued by the IMS failure. Damn, I thought those days were over.

Makes me reconsider.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:27 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Keep the TURBO!!! Just control yourself and kick it when you know it's safe. I do know what you mean, but you can speed in the 997S too.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:50 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
the only "std" 911 i would trade my turbo for would be the 991s. even then, i'd miss the explosive power of a modded porsche turbo. daily.

man, just don't do it. this will pass.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
its called maturity. the ability to resist doing things you know you shouldnt.
do you race every riced out honda that does a flyby on the interstate? same principle. drive the monster like a regular car on the street and wear it out on the track. ez peazy
+1. Got a speeding ticket the first month I had the turbo and went on a few runs where others got into trouble. Getting out on the track an doing it safely with comparable competition is sooo much more fun! Been hooked on track driving ever since.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:58 PM
tkuwaha is infamous around these parts
997 Carrera S is still going to be fast enough to get you in trouble. The problem with 996TT and 997S is that they can get up to those speeds effortlessly compared to the other cars you mentioned.

Have you done any track events? Once I started driving my cars on the track, I have really no desire to drive aggressively on the street. It's cheaper than speeding tickets, and you get to push your car at a level you could never achieve on the street.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:30 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Darth GF
The point is, I could use the throttle for more than 2sec at a time.
The turbo is crazy fast. I don't know how the 600hp+ guys do it.
I've slowed down as my car has gotten faster because the car is frighteningly fast. If you think it's easy to go fast in your car, add another 100+ HP and it's scary. I don't know how the 700+ HP guys do it.

Keep your turbo. For those times you can use the power, like entrance ramps, long, empty straights, and on the track, you'll miss the extra power for sure.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:18 PM
JayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really nice
I think the point OP is trying to make is that he wants to work for the power. In the turbo, you just step on the pedal slightly and it's already in the next county. NA cars are all about power building, getting into that meaty RPM band. You can't even drive the turbo above 3k RPM without taking off

Old 10-01-2012, 05:21 AM
Originally Posted by JayAndreTT
I think the point OP is trying to make is that he wants to work for the power. In the turbo, you just step on the pedal slightly and it's already in the next county. NA cars are all about power building, getting into that meaty RPM band. You can't even drive the turbo above 3k RPM without taking off
I think finally someone understands the point I'm trying to make. I think it's the nature of Turbo cars. You can get major boost at part throttle, making the car accelerate as if you were 100% throttle. N/A cars need 100% throttle to get 100% acceleration.

The Elise was fast with 300hp. But not oops I'm doing 120mph while I just wanted to pass kinda fast. The turbo is "I'm not even trying to be fast" fast.

Thanks for the suggestion of tracking the car. I'm a former F2000 racer and been instructing for BMWCCA for 6 years. I pledged to not put the Turbo on a track without proper safety equipment (race seats, harness, half cage). And then, the kids can't ride along anymore and the Turbo is turned into a one trick pony...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading the Turbo for 997 CarreraS