996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

H&R Springs- before and after (pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:00 PM
95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by JayAndreTT
Never really heard of that problem with the 996s. I know a lot of people on here who just went with springs and kept stock shocks. They have no complaints.
I think anytime you have a spring and shock combination not valved/designed for one another you will experience premature wear. That said, its not as though these springs are going to blow out the factory shocks in a hurry.

One thing to consider will be the rear tire wear associated with lowering the car (even with just springs) and being unable to correct the rear camber back to spec. Seems like the $600 adjustable dog bone kits are worthwhile to get the camber back in spec and avoid chewing up $1k+ of rear tires every 5k miles or less.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:19 PM
JayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really nice
Originally Posted by Kapoosh1
I've had H&R springs installed for 6-8 months now and have no clunking/creaking.
Are you running 18s or 19s?

Originally Posted by 95RogueM3
I think anytime you have a spring and shock combination not valved/designed for one another you will experience premature wear. That said, its not as though these springs are going to blow out the factory shocks in a hurry.

One thing to consider will be the rear tire wear associated with lowering the car (even with just springs) and being unable to correct the rear camber back to spec. Seems like the $600 adjustable dog bone kits are worthwhile to get the camber back in spec and avoid chewing up $1k+ of rear tires every 5k miles or less.
What dog bones would you recommend?

Old 10-01-2012, 09:46 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
That's indeed what I was referring to. Typically the shock will work with a small range of spring rates, maybe the Porsche ones are good enough for the lowering springs, not sure?

When I bought my GTI a couple of years ago, the PO had Koni FSD shocks (meant for stock ride height) on the car with Eibach lowering springs. The car would bounce on dips; definitely not right. I swapped the shocks out with Bilstein sports and it handles great now.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Kapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura about
Are you running 18s or 19s?
19's in the summer, 18's in the winter.

My only problem is i'm going through the rear tires way too quickly....need to invest in the dogbones.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:20 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kapoosh1
19's in the summer, 18's in the winter.

My only problem is i'm going through the rear tires way too quickly....need to invest in the dogbones.
Guys, it's not the camber that is killing your tires unless you are much over -2.0 camber. What is killing your tires is too much toe. Having adjustable toe arms is the key, not really the dogbones. If you are cording the inside 1" or so of your tire than it's a toe issue. Too much camber will generally wear the tire more gradually across the whole tread. Set up your alignment with minimal toe, around 0.8mm per side and you'll be set.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:39 AM
regrossman is a jewel in the roughregrossman is a jewel in the roughregrossman is a jewel in the rough
I have H&R on my 996 with all factory ecentrics and tires are wearing fine after 6k miles. This is negative 2 camber and .03 and .04 toe. This was best tech could get with factory ecentrics.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:45 AM
95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Guys, it's not the camber that is killing your tires unless you are much over -2.0 camber. What is killing your tires is too much toe. Having adjustable toe arms is the key, not really the dogbones. If you are cording the inside 1" or so of your tire than it's a toe issue. Too much camber will generally wear the tire more gradually across the whole tread. Set up your alignment with minimal toe, around 0.8mm per side and you'll be set.
I really hadn't thought about Toe being an issue moreso than camber. Everyone seems to recommend replacing the dogbones to alleviate tire wear issues, but not the toe-kit.

Anyone know if its worthwhile to replace the front components as well as the rears?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 AM
scottrx7tt has a spectacular aura aboutscottrx7tt has a spectacular aura about
i have the adjustable toe links installed, and they did the trick. I have -1.9 camber, and almost 0(what the tech recommended) toe on the rear, and my tires wear evenly.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:03 AM
JayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really nice
Originally Posted by scottrx7tt
i have the adjustable toe links installed, and they did the trick. I have -1.9 camber, and almost 0(what the tech recommended) toe on the rear, and my tires wear evenly.
Yea I was given a very conservative alignment so I dont' think I have to worry much about excess wear

Old 10-02-2012, 04:00 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
I really hadn't thought about Toe being an issue moreso than camber. Everyone seems to recommend replacing the dogbones to alleviate tire wear issues, but not the toe-kit.

Anyone know if its worthwhile to replace the front components as well as the rears?
Every car will be a bit different but generally once you lower past a certain amount your toe eccentric will not be able to compensate and you will have too much toe. With too much toe, with each revolution of the tire you are scrubbing it sideways to an extent. I run -2.1 in the rear with 1.5mm total toe (this is less than factory spec) and have no wear issues. I have Porsche Motorsport adjustable toe arms which allow me to bypass the factory eccentric adjustment. I had adjustable dog bones on the car but got rid of them and put the factory dog bones back on. The Aurora heim joints kept wearing out on the adjustables and were a bit noisy. The factory pieces work just fine unless you really want a super benign alignment or want to go super low in the rear. My rear height is at 133mm using the Porsche measuring points or 25.75" measured to the fender. In the front I'm at 25.125" (112mm) with -2.2 camber and 1.0mm total toe. This is all on JRZ coils.. I track my car frequently and I corded all 4 tires at the same time with my alignment. Hope that helps...

Last edited by pwdrhound; 10-02-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Every car will be a bit different but generally once you lower past a certain amount your toe eccentric will not be able to compensate and you will have too much toe.
Thanks for the info!

I'm not going to be going for tire-tucking stance, but am trying to get a feel for how low I can go without a need for aftermarket arms, etc.

Is GT2 ride height still high enough to allow for the factory eccentrics to accommodate a proper mild alignment? I will be DDing my car and want to extend tire life as far as possible.

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2012, 06:10 PM
996rex is a jewel in the rough996rex is a jewel in the rough996rex is a jewel in the rough
nice suttle drop

Old 10-02-2012, 08:55 PM
SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !
Pic#4 looks sexy, the drop does make a difference.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:36 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
Is the stock suspension set up properly for lowering springs? Typically when you just use lowering springs, the ride won't be right and you'll wear out the suspension prematurely. Is the 996 different?
Never really heard of that problem with the 996s. I know a lot of people on here who just went with springs and kept stock shocks. They have no complaints.
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
That's indeed what I was referring to. Typically the shock will work with a small range of spring rates, maybe the Porsche ones are good enough for the lowering springs, not sure?

When I bought my GTI a couple of years ago, the PO had Koni FSD shocks (meant for stock ride height) on the car with Eibach lowering springs. The car would bounce on dips; definitely not right. I swapped the shocks out with Bilstein sports and it handles great now.
I had H&R springs on my 996 C4 with stock shocks and everybody said the car would handle terribly if I didn't do the shocks too, but the car actually handled great. The only issue I ran into was bottoming out the shocks because the valving wasn't stiff enough.

It seems that on the Turbo the shocks similarly work very well with lowering springs, significantly better than on a regular 996, but the fact is they'll definitely wear out faster being an inch lower on their range versus what they're designed for.

I've still yet to hear anyone report issues with the stock shocks and lowering springs on a Turbo, but one issue is most people with Turbos go to coilovers instead of just doing springs or springs and shocks. On the NA 996 models a lot more people do the spring and shock route instead of coilovers since it's not a car bought by as many serious modders.

I'd love to see any info about shock failures on Turbos with just a spring change. I'm also curious whether people experience any bottoming issues with just springs.

I've considered going the spring/Bilstein shock route myself instead of coilovers just to save some money short-term and see how it changes the car versus stock, and then going with coilovers further down the road. I like to experiment with different mods, especially ones I can't get really solid info on.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:04 AM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
no issues here... they look equally good on the OEM wheels as well! regarding tire wear for street duty i've just been running hankook ventus evo's and put over 5k on them and the rears don't show any signs of going kaput or anywhere near it. yea they aren't as sticky as the high priced stuff but for 90% of my street driving around here I can't notice a difference in performance and they wear awesome.

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: H&R Springs- before and after (pics)