996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How laggy are k24/18g's compared to bone stock?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 02:43 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
There are like 32 questions in that post...

3.5k for a tune? Geesh, I thought those days were past.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:53 AM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
Yeahhh…. Sorry! I'm new.
I just have a lot to learn and it seems there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:34 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hi, Do yourself a favor and learn how to do a Search..
Forget the 200 cell cats if you want the best performance from those turbos.100 cell or catless.You don't need bigger then 3" exhaust piping.
You should go with injectors over 5 bar.
Good Luck with doing your research, you will be happy you did for your project.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 PM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
Hi everybody,
I don't want to come across lazy Johnspeed, not wanting to do the research. I have read pages and pages of posts which are not always consistent with each other. Not that many of them are GT2 specific either. I have seen a lot of your posts among the many I have read; you seem to be very knowledgable and have a lot of experience. Definitely know a lot more than your average bear. lol
It could also be thanks to my ADD

For example, here are a few posts that I have read but not sure if they are correct:
-I have read that the GT2s have a higher flow fuel pumps but I am not sure if that is accurate. Do they also come with a higher pressure fuel pressure regulator?
-I read posts that said the GT2s might come with forged pistons and better con-rods. If that is true that would mean my motor could handle more power than a 996Turbo… right? How much more?
-Read posts that said 997.1 Turbo intercoolers are better than the 996 GT2 ones which are better than the 996Turbo ones. I don't know how much better the 997.1s are or if I'd need to step up to aftermarket intercoolers at the 600whp territory. (H2O+Meth should help)

Could someone that specializes on GT2s, one of the vendors, engine builders perhaps, or people that have taken their cars to the 600-650whp level and beyond shed some light on the matter. I realize some people will feel like they are sharing their secrets(experiences) which was gained through 100s of hours of work, ton of experimenting with different parts\setups\packages, trial and error(all which is very costly), blood, sweat, and tears but it would be very helpful to people like myself, and others which would save us a lot of pain and $ trying to build our cars. We then would be forever indebted to those knowledgeable people, for educating us on how to get the best bang for the buck.

The reason I am very interested in the 18G and 20G upgrades is because their price tag is obviously a lot more reasonable than some of the other turbo upgrades. I love the fact that they will also look stock and the install would be a breeze. Anyone with a carjack or even ramps, and tools can do the swap in their garage in an hour or two. I love doing my own work; it's nice to know the work is done right. If you don't want to get your hands dirty, don't have the time or the tools then the install cost would be very reasonable as well.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:05 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hi,Thanks,I am still learning also...
I didnt mean you were lazy , there are lots of smart members on here and you could get more of a feel from their posts..
I believe the engines are very similar,if not identical and there really is nothing thats going to make any noticable difference in respect to durability?...FPR are the same,as I have read..If the pumps are different ,I dont think its that much better.
Others have said the X-50 and 2004 up turbo engines share GT-2 up date stuff?? I really dont know and I have not seen any thing in writing to prove it..
I know the newest 997 intercoolers are the best factory ones yet and they will make a difference over stock ones..For that power range they should be sufficent.
I am have been going back and forth myself in going to tweeked k24/20's or keep my 18g,s..
Keep getting info and learn what you can,so you can put it to work..

Old 10-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Thanks Johnspeed. I really appreciate all the help.
Which additional fuel pump did you use? Is it that 044 Bosch?
I saw a higher pressure fuel pressure regulator than the 5bar one somewhere but I can't remember where...
I was also wondering about the Turbo Intake pipes. I read that they quite the restriction. I saw a setup where they ran the intakes right into the rear bumpers, right above the intercoolers. What do you think about that setup? They should get good air from the side scoops but would that rob the intercoolers of air enough to hurt the power. It was the Switzer Sladgehammer 997 that had that setup. Its on their website. Looks like they are using HKS filters. That's one heck of an intercooler… I guess you'd need that to make 1000hp.

Can anyone share some information regarding the internals of the GT2s? (rods, pistons)

I just spoke with Justin at Comp and he said he can build me a pair of K24s with 20G extended tip, billet compressor wheels, and clip the exhaust wheels to reduce back pressure, as well as some other stuff with the housings that will help. The extended tip compressor wheel flows more air I guess, where you can make the same amount of power as you would at higher boost. Good news for pump gas setups. I will find out more and let you know the details. You might be interested to know : ) I know I'm excited!

Any more info from vendors or engine builders, etc. will be very appreciated

Last edited by ADAMNSONS; 10-08-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by ADAMNSONS
Thanks Johnspeed. I really appreciate all the help.
Which additional fuel pump did you use? Is it that 044 Bosch?
I saw a higher pressure fuel pressure regulator than the 5bar one somewhere but I can't remember where...
I was also wondering about the Turbo Intake pipes. I read that they quite the restriction. I saw a setup where they ran the intakes right into the rear bumpers, right above the intercoolers. What do you think about that setup? They should get good air from the side scoops but would that rob the intercoolers of air enough to hurt the power. It was the Switzer Sladgehammer 997 that had that setup. Its on their website. Looks like they are using HKS filters. That's one heck of an intercooler… I guess you'd need that to make 1000hp.

Can anyone share some information regarding the internals of the GT2s? (rods, pistons)

I just spoke with Justin at Comp and he said he can build me a pair of K24s with 20G extended tip, billet compressor wheels, and clip the exhaust wheels to reduce back pressure, as well as some other stuff with the housings that will help. The extended tip compressor wheel flows more air I guess, where you can make the same amount of power as you would at higher boost. Good news for pump gas setups. I will find out more and let you know the details. You might be interested to know : ) I know I'm excited!

Any more info from vendors or engine builders, etc. will be very appreciated
Yes,the Bosch 044 pump with injectors and stock FPR.
With the 20s you will have to have the turbo intake pipes.
You should get in touch with Markski,911 tuning ..

Old 10-09-2012, 04:34 PM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute

rods at every stock 996tt or GT2 are the same.....Pistons on 996tt and GT2 are the same...only GT2 MkII has different pistons....

Old 10-09-2012, 05:38 PM
What year did the MkII come? 04?
I have an 03 which I think is the MkI

Old 10-10-2012, 03:25 AM
Mr Freefall is infamous around these parts
What about k16 with the same flowing wheel as a 18g in it.

Same power, minimal lag, 1.6 bar, circa 680-700 BHP

Mr F

Old 10-10-2012, 03:50 AM
I already have K24s though which I will just send in for the mod. To use K16s I would have to buy cores. Would a K16 with the 18G wheel spool faster than K24 with an 18G wheel?

Old 10-10-2012, 06:51 AM
I don't think you can fit a 18g in a k16 housing..