996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT Exhaust options (my questions)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 09:15 AM
Jack(LA) is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Michael W.
I don't want to put a wrench into the Europipe stuff... But, I talked to several people who had the Europipe loud when I was trying to decide betweeen loud and quiet, and there are some that compained about too much resonance from the loud version. This surprised me as I had heard the Europipes were all free from resonance.

Can anybody share their experience with the EP Loud that has had any issues?
No real issues here and I think the EP 2-Loud sounds wonderful and is a well built exhaust. Having said that, there is a slight resonance/dronning at the 2000 and 4000 RPM levels. For me, it was not offensive; but I'm sorry to say, the statement "no resonance" is not accurate. Also, the Fabspeed-Quiet had resonance, as did the Ruf, albeit the Ruf was the least offensive (and most quiet) of all three in my experience. You need to take a drive in a car with the exhaust system you're considering in order to make an informed decision. Everyone's tolerance to "resonance/dronning" is very different. I will say that, IMHO, the EP sounds the best.... externally speaking.

Just my 2 cents, FWIW.

Old 10-27-2003, 09:25 AM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Jack,

I wonder now the EP quiet compares to the EP loud.

The website gives dB figures but not for low rpm under load, which is where the resonance really puts a hole in my head.

Local people to LI, tell me what you have and if I can get a ride!

Looking for EP Loud, EP quiet, Fab quiet.

My gut feeling is that it is gonna be EP quiet.

Old 10-27-2003, 09:35 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
One thing to consider is that the Europipe is extremely heavy. Weighs as much as the stock exhaust or more... But it is relatively quiet and well made.

My custom exhaust is very lightweight (under 20 lbs.), but it is very loud.

Old 10-27-2003, 09:38 AM
Jack(LA) is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Periokid
Jack,

I wonder now the EP quiet compares to the EP loud.
My friend has the EP2-Quiet on his GT2 and the interior sound is quite similar to my old TT with the Loud version. That is, there is still some slight "droning" at the 2000 and 4000 RPM marks. This may be due to the lack of interior sound deadening/insulation material in the GT2. I believe that there is an inherent "drone" (due to the TT engine design) at these RPM points, which the stock muffler's resonance chambers cancel out. Of course, I need an expert like David ( aka Cobra) to confirm my theory.

Last edited by Jack(LA); 10-27-2003 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:55 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
David,
You are welcome to come take a listen to my EP Stage 2 Loud. Let me know if you want to take me up on it.

Old 10-27-2003, 11:49 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by Michael W.
I don't want to put a wrench into the Europipe stuff... But, I talked to several people who had the Europipe loud when I was trying to decide betweeen loud and quiet, and there are some that compained about too much resonance from the loud version. This surprised me as I had heard the Europipes were all free from resonance.

Can anybody share their experience with the EP Loud that has had any issues?
What's up michael, how you been

Michael is correct, I had the EP loud and thought it resonate just as much as the Cargraphic loud I had on my car. The only thing was, it was not loud at all on the outside. To quiet outside, to loud inside. You sacrifice interior resonance for nice sound and the EP loud, imo just didn't have both components. The only component it had was the loud inside. Hope that helps.

-lou

Old 10-27-2003, 12:08 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by KPV
David,
You are welcome to come take a listen to my EP Stage 2 Loud. Let me know if you want to take me up on it.
KPV, do you have an X50 turbo? the reason I ask is that the guy I sold the EP loud to had an X50 and it sounded a lot better on his car than on my non-X50 car. With the X50, the EP loud sounds pretty good and a lot better than on my car. That said, it still drones as others have said and the sound outside still doesn't live up to the loud inside. Maybe check out the Cargraphic Medium?

Old 10-27-2003, 12:28 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
LSM,
I had the best of both worlds. When I originally installed the EP, the car was not X50. I have since added the K24's so, for all practical purposes (from the standpoint of X50 components that could have an impact on sound quality) the car sounds the same as an X50 car. If I had to describe the sound it simply breathes much better. As crazy as it sounds, it is akin to making 2 year old motor sounds through a straw and through a paper towel core. No comparison it just breathes. You can definitely hear the K24's spool up now. It is really kind of cool.
I am 39 years old and was not after a rauceous (use?) and full bore racey sounding exhaust. I wanted something that has a sound that is comensurate with the power of the car, improves performance and is built well. My feeling is that is addresses all counts.

Old 10-27-2003, 12:39 PM
LSM
Originally posted by KPV
LSM,
I had the best of both worlds. When I originally installed the EP, the car was not X50. I have since added the K24's so, for all practical purposes (from the standpoint of X50 components that could have an impact on sound quality) the car sounds the same as an X50 car. If I had to describe the sound it simply breathes much better. As crazy as it sounds, it is akin to making 2 year old motor sounds through a straw and through a paper towel core. No comparison it just breathes. You can definitely hear the K24's spool up now. It is really kind of cool.
I am 39 years old and was not after a rauceous (use?) and full bore racey sounding exhaust. I wanted something that has a sound that is comensurate with the power of the car, improves performance and is built well. My feeling is that is addresses all counts.
I agree, that was my point. With the X50, sounds much better, but, with the K16's, I didn't like the sound at all. That said, I would still personally like louder than the EP Loud sounded even on the X50, but, I probably wouldn't have sold the EP loud if it sounded like it sounded on the X50 car. Made the desision much easier with My K16's, because I hated the sound and it resonated enough that I thought it should be much better sounding outside. As mentioned before though, I am 30, and still can't let go of the 22 year old in me and like a louder exhaust.

-Lou

Old 10-27-2003, 01:36 PM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Ken,

Got you down for a EP Loud test ride.

Anyone with EP quiet or a Fab quiet?

Old 10-27-2003, 07:24 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
The Ruf single outlet "quiet" version exhaust truly does not have any resonance, yet offers the performance Ruf is known for. I am very pleased with this rendition of the Ruf exhaust.

Old 10-27-2003, 07:27 PM
John D II,

Where can I see and read about the Ruf?

Single outlet? Does that mean only one pipe out the rear?

Old 10-27-2003, 08:03 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
David,

I first purchased the standard Ruf exhaust with the twin pipes and was very pleased with the performance, but found the drone at part throttle offensive. After a week or so, I contacted Asgar at Weissach and explained my feelings, then asked him if he would consider taking the exhaust back, before I sold it on one of the boards. His reply was something like "I have just the thing for you......" and relayed a story of a gentleman that wanted a quieter Ruf exhaust and how they they developed a Ruf exhaust exactly like the twin pipe version (100 cell cats, reworked inner, etc.), but with the stock single outlet retained. Asgar claimed this custom "quiet" version had all the performance of the twin tip version, but without the loudness and drone. He then offered to have one of these fabricated and shipped at no charge to "try".......with the understanding that if I didn't like it he would take it back. In the meantime, he took back the twin pipe version for full credit. I have to say that I (as well as Jack) was skeptical that simply the change in outlet could have such a profound effect on the harmonics of the exhaust, but it did. This version turned out to be exactly what I was looking for....... it is only the slightest bit louder than stock until about 5,000RPM, then the Ruf wail develops until redline.

To learn more about this, you should contact Asgar at Weissach, the N..A. Ruf distributor, as this exhaust is not advertised. There are two pipes at the rear (one per side). I use the X54 tips with this exhaust.

Old 10-27-2003, 08:40 PM
Chris Y. is infamous around these parts
David...

I've visted Asgar's shop in Vancouver and listened to the same exhaust John has on his car. It's a very nice system and on start up, it sounded just like stock. Wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but nonetheless a very nice exhaust fit & finish.

Give Asgar a call...he should be able to point you in the way of the right exhaust.

I've also listen to Hamann's car...it's a really mean sounding exhaust...LOUD, yes...but in no way irritating. I'm still waiting for Wilbur to hook me up with one In the meantime, I've got a Europipe Stage II-Loud...nice construction, not loud at all, but again, it's heavy.

Last edited by Chris Y.; 10-27-2003 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:19 PM
rodmd is infamous around these parts
EP Stage 2 Quiet

Periokid,

I just had the EP Stage 2 Quiet installed on my x50 and the exhaust sound is exactly what I was looking for - a slightly louder low rumble at idle outside and nice loud wail at WOT outside. Inside the cabin slightly louder than stock with absolutely NO resonance inside. Car revs much more quickly now. EP is a quality product and the service from the company is first rate. Only drawback was the price. A test drive will probably convince you immediately. If you are interested PM or email me. I live on LI.

Happy Motoring !!