996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Incredible results on smog test - GIAC Flash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:36 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Incredible results on smog test - GIAC Flash

I had mi bi-annual CA smog test and my car with incredible results. I'm very impressed that there were virtually no "bad" gasses. The car could have put out up to 1,000 times the measured gasses and would have passed smog.

Keep in mind that my car has a 7 year old aftermarket Remus Exhaust with 100 cell cats, a Hitachi MAF (far from stock), larger injectors and a custom dyno tuned flash by GIAC.

That's what I call Mean and Green

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 10-18-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:07 AM
TekNiC3 is infamous around these partsTekNiC3 is infamous around these parts
Green when there is not any load.

Guess we're lucky to have AWD that don't have to be on a dyno for the smog check

Old 10-18-2012, 07:34 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats! Fought this one earlier this year and needed a tweak from EPL. My problem were the not ready codes.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:09 PM
uschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant future
Great to hear Fanatic. I have basically the same set up and will need to smog this summer for the first time with these mods. I was a bit worried about facing the test, but feel better after reading about your results.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:08 AM
muker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Turbo Fanatic
I had mi bi-annual CA smog test and my car with incredible results. I'm very impressed that there were virtually no "bad" gasses. The car could have put out up to 1,000 times the measured gasses and would have passed smog.

Keep in mind that my car has a 7 year old aftermarket Remus Exhaust with 100 cell cats, a Hitachi MAF (far from stock), larger injectors and a custom dyno tuned flash by GIAC.

That's what I call Mean and Green
...which goes to show that smog tests are a racket.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Vonschmidt has a spectacular aura aboutVonschmidt has a spectacular aura about
Got pulled over in Laguna By CHP thought i was driving a race car on the streets. Showed him the smog certificate and that was the end of the conversation. So there is good in all things if you look hard enough.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I'm not sure what you mean by this. The smog test looks for greenhouse gasses. A car without properly functioning catalysts, or one that ran too rich wouldn't pass (and would quickly burn up the catalytic converters).

I think my point was that you CAN have a modded car that isn't a gross polluter. After all, more powerful factory cars like the GT2RS pass emissions all day long... The 400 cell factory cats do start working a bit earlier when cold than after market cats.. but whatever.

My modded car has been passing smog for the best part of seven years. I will be honest, the parts shouldn't pass the visual inspection, but they pass the physical inspection with flying colors.

I don't judge others who run open exhausts BTW. But it's important to me that my car isn't polluting too much. A bigger point is that I don't mind the odd few car freaks running open exhausts as long as 99.9% of the people's cars are smog compliant.

Originally Posted by muker
...which goes to show that smog tests are a racket.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 10-19-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:50 PM
This is just ridiculous. I would have reported that officer... or maybe I wouldn't knowing my car is barely legal....

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
Got pulled over in Laguna By CHP thought i was driving a race car on the streets. Showed him the smog certificate and that was the end of the conversation. So there is good in all things if you look hard enough.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:54 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Turbo Fanatic
This is just ridiculous. I would have reported that officer... or maybe I wouldn't knowing my car is barely legal....
my experience with chp and modded anything is that they tend to be a lot cooler about borderline stuff when you go to them, as opposed to them "coming to you", so to speak

congrats on your passage! i always flinch when they hook up the sniffer to my car(s) but they have always passed.