996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Where did your passion for Porsche's come from?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 04:08 PM
AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !
Where did your passion for Porsches come from?

I was sitting around at work today looking at used 996/997's online when my mind wandered back to my childhood. I started thinking about where my initial attraction to that classic 911 bodystyle came from. For me it was a couple things. My Grandma had a 1:32 Martini and Rossi liveried 935 pull back toy at her house that used to be my favorite toy whenever I visited. The second would have to be the movie Condorman.

This movie came out the year I was born (1981) and I remember going to my Uncle's house and watching it every time I was there(about ten times a year) from ages 4 to 8. The scene with the Porsche baddies was pretty much the only reason I loved that movie. Here's a clip of the chase if you're curious.Sorry about the Deutsch, but the dialogue really doesn't matter. Wouldn't embed for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=MAtervTgpys

Anyway, this just made me curious to find out where and when everyone else was bitten by the Pcar bug. I realize this is a pretty childish thread, but it's not like anyone buys a sports car to feel older, right?

Last edited by AudiBull; 10-22-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
356 was my bug bite but the 959 devoured me and i have lusted after the porsche ever since

Old 10-22-2012, 05:00 PM
AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !
Yeah, I remember having the same 959, F40, and XJ220 folders in my trapper keeper for about three straight years. I think it was third through fifth grade. I kept taping them back together even though they were falling apart. I'm still in love with all three.

Last edited by AudiBull; 10-22-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Speedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant future
My fathers love of his 356 fastback, which he did not have when I grew up, but he talked of that car as it was his first love. He was motor xx enthusiast, raced his Porsche, his MGB -a and b.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:25 PM
quick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the rough
That's easy. I grew up in Southern California when it was still a nice place to live. At age 10, my dad took me to the 1973 Can-Am race at Riverside International. I got to watch Mark Donohue stomp everyone, Lola's, March's, Ferrari's, even the other 917's. The sights, and more importantly the SOUNDS of that race have never gone away. I bought my first Porsche, a 75' 914 2.0 in 1983 and never looked back. Have gone on to take care of a 77' 930, 95' 993, 00' 986S, 4 different 968's including the Club Sport. Now in the 996TT at age 50, I'm one happy camper.....but that race in 73', that started it all.

Cheers
Mikey

Old 10-22-2012, 05:48 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
the 959 from when I was like 10...wanted one ever since

Old 10-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by quick968
That's easy. I grew up in Southern California when it was still a nice place to live. At age 10, my dad took me to the 1973 Can-Am race at Riverside International. I got to watch Mark Donohue stomp everyone, Lola's, March's, Ferrari's, even the other 917's. The sights, and more importantly the SOUNDS of that race have never gone away. I bought my first Porsche, a 75' 914 2.0 in 1983 and never looked back. Have gone on to take care of a 77' 930, 95' 993, 00' 986S, 4 different 968's including the Club Sport. Now in the 996TT at age 50, I'm one happy camper.....but that race in 73', that started it all.

Cheers
Mikey
Awesome story Mike. It's amazing how deeply the sound of a race car heard in person can imbed itself into the youthful brain. For me it was my first time at Indy when I was 6 or 7. I'll never forget it.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:27 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Just been around 2 seater euro sports cars most of my life (I grew up in Europe). When I was a kid, we actually had a '76 Triumph Spitfire as our only car for a while LOL My dad would chase Porsches in it and was actually pretty successful at it too The lil' spitfire didn't have much power but it also weighed next to nothing.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:45 PM
thomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of light
Was never much of a car guy growing up, except I have a vivid image stuck in my mind when I started driving. I watched a black Porsche Turbo (I believe) pass me. The wing went up during the pass, the shape of the body was sex on wheels. Leaves on the ground were swept up in the backdraft as it hammered past me. I had no idea what it was at the time....but I'm sure I got a boner. (sorry - childish comment there)

Fast forward....starting in the workforce - marriage - move - kids, cars were not a priority. As time went on, I got an Audi A4 1.8T. I lusted after it for 2 years before I was able to buy it. Learned how to wrench on it and got a passion for German cars / turbo / AWD.

More time goes by, less need for bigger cars, more able to afford a 'fun' car. Settled on a 996 Turbo. Was never 'into' Porsche, as I thought it was something I could never afford and did not realize the high quality associated with the brand (thought you just pay for the name).

In the end, I have come full circle to own the type of car that gave me a boner when I was just a kid - but I did not know it at the time. And yes, I now 'get it' - the quality, the brand, just about the perfect blend of performance / fun / reliability / safety /moddability...I can go on and on.

Last edited by thomapa1; 10-22-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: edits
Old 10-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Zuhl is infamous around these parts
In 1969 I was 13 and a friends mother purchased a new 911T, she asked me if I wanted to go to an autocross. I did not know what an autocross was but I said yes. The next weekend Mike, his mother and I went on a 70 mile drive into the mountians to attend the autocross. We had a great day watching all of the cars run the course. What sparked my passion for Porsches was not the autocross but the ride back to Denver. I think Mike's mother was feeling a little frisky on the way back and she was (in my estimation) pushing the car fairly hard through the canyon on the way back, I had never been a car that had been driven as vigorously. When we got on the freeway Mike's mother started accelerating and did not stop until we were going 130 mph. When I saw 130 mph on the speedo I knew I would own a porsche someday. Now that I have a Porsche I have found the joy of ownership outweighed my 40 year fantasy!

Rick

Old 10-22-2012, 08:08 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
When Porsche came out with the 944 Turbo I thought that was the best everyday practical high performance street car out,,within my affordability range..
So at 30 yrs old I bought a new one,my first Porsche.
Then in 1989,I bought the hotter 944 Turbo S...Same colors and wheels so know one would know..lol..Didnt want my fellow firefighters to think I had a money tree or something...

Old 10-22-2012, 08:10 PM
The Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond repute
My old man worked at a Porsche dealership for a while when I was pretty young. Visiting and drooling over some of the gorgeous cars there, I was hooked. Well that and Bad Boys, lol!

Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 PM
TXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud of
My passion wasn't limited to Porsche per se, but I have always been a fan of AWD, twin turbo cars. The number of manufacturers making such a car are few and far between. There have been the XJ220, (but it lost the awd) the Dodge Stealth/3000GT VR4 (I still own one of those) Nissan GTR, etc. All the other cars these days that are turbo AWD are generally not of a high enough caliber to be lust worthy anymore (Mitsu EVO for example.)

So, the Porsche offers me what I'm looking for in a modern styled package with plenty of sex appeal, power, and exclusivity.

Then again, I've also owned a Boxster S, and still have a Cayenne S as well, so perhaps all the crap I just wrote above means nothing and I just like Porsches.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:54 PM
scsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to behold
History and heritage.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:11 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
My best friends father growing up had a black 964 Porsche. He would have to drive us to all type of sports games and practices and I used to sit in the back seat. I fell in love with those rear bucket seats and roll up seat belts, then the sound, and even the rear fog light he had hanging off the back bumper. I truly loved that car!

Between that car and my older brother always talking about Porsche I was hooked. He then got a Boxster when I was 17 and i immediately fell in love with that car. Next for him after the boxer was a 996 Carrera... I had a poster in my dorm room and all throughout college of the 996tt.....after I graduated college and saved up for a few years, before moving out of my parents house I pulled the trigger on my dream car.

I can't see myself not owning one of these cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where did your passion for Porsche's come from?