996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Engine Cleaning...only for those afflicted with OCD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 02:13 AM
¿Señor Member?
jester has a spectacular aura aboutjester has a spectacular aura about
passenger side is looking good. I can definately appreciate the work because I seem to be afflicted with a slight case of OCD myself

Old 06-28-2005, 08:20 AM
Dr. T is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Steve L.
How hard was it to scrape off? Did you have to work at it real hard or do is just come right off?
Steve,
It comes off fairly easily where it hasn't baked on such as the suspension components etc....the areas that get hot are a DIFFERENT STORY......lots of work and patience.

Old 06-29-2005, 07:56 AM
Clubrcr is a glorious beacon of lightClubrcr is a glorious beacon of lightClubrcr is a glorious beacon of lightClubrcr is a glorious beacon of lightClubrcr is a glorious beacon of light
Having several Porsches in the past, I was not happy with my turbo's overkill on the cosmoline. I was able to get the gunk off with "Goof Off" and "Simple Green" It is a process that needs patience, but it looks so much better.

A clean motor is a happy motor!

Old 06-29-2005, 08:21 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Ok... time for the dumb question. Why is it bad to leave the cosmoline on besides appearance? Doesn't it still somewhat protect the metal parts?
Or does it add to the heat?

I am tempted to try this on my car after seeing the pics, but I'm not sure it's worth it to me. Especially doing this during the Texas summer!

Old 06-29-2005, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Clubrcr
Having several Porsches in the past, I was not happy with my turbo's overkill on the cosmoline. I was able to get the gunk off with "Goof Off" and "Simple Green" It is a process that needs patience, but it looks so much better.

A clean motor is a happy motor!
Watch out with Simple Green (and other degreasers) around aluminum. It's very corrosive. Here's a couple of links that explain why the military has banned it's use on aircraft.

https://safety.army.mil/pages/lesson...plegreens.html http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/med...ourreaders.htm

Goof off works but the fumes are nasty!

Old 06-29-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Scott in H-town
Ok... time for the dumb question. Why is it bad to leave the cosmoline on besides appearance? Doesn't it still somewhat protect the metal parts?
Or does it add to the heat?

I am tempted to try this on my car after seeing the pics, but I'm not sure it's worth it to me. Especially doing this during the Texas summer!
I don't think it's bad to leave it on and if I drove on salted roads in the winter I probably would leave it. Definitely wouldn't do this job during the heat of a Texas summer.

Old 06-29-2005, 01:31 PM
Clubrcr is a glorious beacon of lightClubrcr is a glorious beacon of lightClubrcr is a glorious beacon of lightClubrcr is a glorious beacon of lightClubrcr is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by Dr. T
Watch out with Simple Green (and other degreasers) around aluminum. It's very corrosive. Here's a couple of links that explain why the military has banned it's use on aircraft.

https://safety.army.mil/pages/lesson...plegreens.html http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/med...ourreaders.htm

Goof off works but the fumes are nasty!
Thanks, I have been using Simple Green on my racecars for the past few years. It sounds like that an alternative is in order.

Old 06-29-2005, 02:48 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
The anti OCD medicine is called Luvox. It worked for me.......

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 06-29-2005, 03:01 PM
Banned
Ferrarislave is infamous around these parts
Simple green is fine to use on your car, it is a great APC. I use it on my Wheel wells and undercarriage and even engine bay at times, where not to use it ? Is uncoated alumnium it will quickly oxidize the surface and cause chemical burns. I would use something that doesn't react with uncoated alumnium such as Meguiars APC or Meguiars D-greaser.

Old 06-30-2005, 08:15 AM
I went to carecare online and bought the degreaser, I guess now it's just a matter of how much time do I have to bond with the bottom of my car?

Did you use a wire brush?

Old 06-30-2005, 08:28 AM
Jim,
I used brass and nylon detailing brushes.
-Have fun....... the rest of the solvent I ordered should arrive by friday. so hopefully I can finish the job sunday while it's raining!

Old 06-30-2005, 08:57 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
I've used Simple Green mixed about 60/40 (water) on straight aluminum cycle wheels for years with no problems at all.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 07-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Dr. T., I took your advice ordered the degreaser and went to work. The degreaser your recommended was great, it worked better than others I had tried. The motor and transmission look great. I also mentioned this to my mechanic. He is the service manager at Porsche dealership. He did not say anything negative about taking the cosmoline off the engine. He did say that would make it a lot easier to find an leaks or problems in the future.

Bottom line....it looks great.

Old 07-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Alright Jim!
I think we should start the exculsive OCD/Clean Engine Club.
-Glen

Old 07-12-2005, 12:26 PM
My wife laughed everytime I got under the car and after I cleaned it, I made her look. I think she was just humoring me, but even she said it looked great!

Boy do I feel weird. That is one place that most people wouldn't even care about, much less look!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Cleaning...only for those afflicted with OCD