996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

No drone exhausts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 11:06 AM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
No drone exhausts?

I know this subject has been beaten to death but I was wondering if there is any other exhaust than the RUF that produces no drone at cruising speeds? I want an aggressive sound but mainly under load; don't want my ears to bleed on the fwy.

I'm contemplating an upgrade but I really have to narrow it down first and then manage to find someone local so I can hear it in person; sound clips just don't do it for me.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:08 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
That's a really hard one to quantify... The only real way is for you to actually listen to some systems in person. Since you're in SoCal there are a lot of modded TT's at various meets. I'd strongly suggest getting the heresay/guesswork out of the equation before getting anything and being unsatisfied etc...

Old 11-06-2012, 11:17 AM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Europipe Stage 1 and Stage 2 Quiet produced no drone in my experience on a 996tt.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:27 AM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Any good meets that are 996 turbo related?

I did recently join the PCA but have yet to find time to go to one of the events! Hearing exhausts on other models wouldn't really do any good either

Thanks for the suggestion above!

Old 11-06-2012, 11:30 AM
RS38 has a spectacular aura aboutRS38 has a spectacular aura about
I do sell the smaller Europipe quiet. -> F/S

Old 11-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Our 2.5 quiet X-cellerator system will fit your goals perfectly. I used to own a RUF exhaust and our 2.5 quiet X-cellerator system has less drone than the Ruf I once owned....click on our testimonials link in my signature to learn what others have to say!

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 11-06-2012, 12:07 PM
don johnson is infamous around these partsdon johnson is infamous around these parts
you are welcome to listen to our car with a Milltek exhaust. I am in Yorba Linda. I bought is specifically because it is quite, no drone. This is my wifes DD and a cabriolet so quiet was important. Peformance increase was surprising.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Basic Sponsor
Chad@SpeedTech is just really niceChad@SpeedTech is just really niceChad@SpeedTech is just really niceChad@SpeedTech is just really nice
FI FTW, check out this thread regarding Cars and Coffee in Irvine. There are a couple SpeedTech customers in your area that posted up with both 3" and 2.5", we would recommend the 2.5" system given what your looking for, its what we run on our shop car and is best of both worlds.

Also, I know we have sent A LOT of systems to that area so maybe others will chime in. There should be no shortage of modded TT's nearby to hear for yourself. Goodluck with your search and PM or call me if you have any questions.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ee-irvine.html

facebook
YouTube see our videos

www.speedtechexhausts.com
Email-Chad@speedtechexhausts.com
Old 11-06-2012, 01:02 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
FWIW I run a SpeedTech 3.0 X-flow cat-less system on my personal 996tt and it produces little to no drone and sounds FANTSTIC. My 911 turbo clients that have heard it have ALL purchased SpeedTech systems.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:22 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
They all have at least some. And some people are less tolerant to it than others. I agree should audition before you buy, since your only stated desire is no drone. You should listen for yourself.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:05 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
I know this subject has been beaten to death but I was wondering if there is any other exhaust than the RUF that produces no drone at cruising speeds? I want an aggressive sound but mainly under load; don't want my ears to bleed on the fwy.

I'm contemplating an upgrade but I really have to narrow it down first and then manage to find someone local so I can hear it in person; sound clips just don't do it for me.
You have to drive the car with that particular exhaust and with the same turbos to really quantify it. K16s will sound different than K24s on the same exhaust. Also everyones ears are more sensitive to different frequencies. For example, I drove a stock K24 x50 car with a Europipe Loud and felt like it droned. Most people love it. It gave me a headache after a while. I also drove a EPL flashed K16 car with the Speedtech 2.5 X-exhaust with the 4 exhaust pipes (two were dummies I believe) and I also felt like there was some bothersome drone in the mid 2K range. Most people love it and that exhaust is generally touted as one with no drone but it bothered me while the owner didn't have issues with it. I almost gave up on the 996tt when I was shopping for one years ago because all the aftermarket exhausts gave me a headache. My buddies F430 with tubi was loud but did not bother me either due to the higher frequency. The only 996tt exhausts that didn't bother me was the stock or the RUF on the Rturbo and this is probably because of their higher frequency which limits the "boominess" of the exhaust. My ears however have been beat up by years spent in aircraft and are much more sensitive than other people's. Sounds clips won't help you.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:50 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
..milltek..

Old 11-06-2012, 03:34 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
there is no such thing...all exhausts have some degree of "drone"....the question is what degree can you live with. The decibel level and frequencies can be different for the "same" exhaust model by the same manufacturer. As most have said above...you really need to hear them yourselves and on your car...LOL

Old 11-06-2012, 03:47 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Ultra-happy with my second hand speedtech 2.5 cross flow with cats!!! Sounds like my 3" on cold start up and then tones down to very tolerable idle. Cruise even in my tiptronic is very tolerable. little to no drone but certainly appropriate. WOT is pretty aggressive sound and is certainly enjoyable. I think it's close to the happy medium.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:48 PM
I think if I can hear it on a 996TT with the stock turbos, it should be close enough.

I just want to be able to have a conversation and/or listen to the radio when cruising on the fwy.

I run a Magnaflow on my BMW. It mainly gets loud when you put your foot in it but when cruising, it is relatively quiet. I just want to avoid the harmonic drone some exhausts create.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No drone exhausts?