996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Freakin' PSM!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 09:33 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
Definitely a good point but there is also the saying that "you shouln't track it if you can't afford to lose it"
I dunno... This implies that tracking is a bad bet.

I'd suggest that the track is infinitely safer than driving on public streets, shared by women who drive SUV's.

I mean - you shouldn't RACE what you can't afford to lose (because I DO equate that to gambling). But simply tracking is such a good tool for learning, I don't see how you can buy a performance car and NOT track it. Seems like a waste. Like buying special photo paper, and not print on it, because it is too nice. If you're not printing pictures, don't buy it.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:14 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I dunno... This implies that tracking is a bad bet.

I'd suggest that the track is infinitely safer than driving on public streets, shared by women who drive SUV's.

I mean - you shouldn't RACE what you can't afford to lose (because I DO equate that to gambling). But simply tracking is such a good tool for learning, I don't see how you can buy a performance car and NOT track it. Seems like a waste. Like buying special photo paper, and not print on it, because it is too nice. If you're not printing pictures, don't buy it.
I agree. I wouldn't own my car if I couldn't exercise it on the track the way it was designed without having to worry about minivans, clueless drivers, or cops. Tracking or DEs are safe as long as you remember that it's not a race! Drive within your limits and progress at a rate you are comfortable with. If you follow that simple rule you will have an unblemished car at the end of the day whether you have PSM or not. Once you are comfortable with your car and knowing its tendencies with PSM turned on, ultimately I think tracking without PSM will make you a better driver because you will not have PSM masking any bad habits that you may have developed. You will learn to drive the car without the electronics helping. Every time I've seen someone crash or do something stupid is when they were pushing the car outside of their comfort zone. I've done it also and knew it right away after the fact. Luckily its been nothing more than a spin with no off track excursion. Have fun out there and be safe....

Old 11-25-2012, 01:47 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
True, I was indeed referring to racing. Living in CA, there are plenty of fun roads to enjoy the car but in a lot of parts of the country, windy roads are hard to come by and tracking it is probably the way to go.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:32 PM
jindotli is infamous around these parts
My car is completed stock and I have exact the same problem. It has puzzled me for a while. This afternoon I took out the speed sensors in the front wheel hubs and cleaned them as suggested. Nothing seemed abnormal though. I am not sure it fixed the problem.

I never felt PSM was an issue when I go to Autox, DE or normal street drive no matter how hard I felt I pushed it. The issue is when I drive it on winding canyon roads (Ortega HWY) and I wasn't even driving it hard. I was just driving between 40~60mph and everything seemed normal. All of sudden, it cuts in and and put a short brake at front wheels(I don't know which one, could be both) for no obvious reasons. It got me scared. I did feel that it happens only when I go a little bit uphills with a little bit turn. I felt somehow PSM thinks the front wheels lost their traction and put brake on them. One thing though, I have newer set of rear tires than front. Plus the front tires are Pilot sports and rear tires are PS2. Obviously PS2 has better traction. Maybe it is related to the issue. I am waiting for the Super Sport with the stock sizes to come out next year so I can replace all of them. I will see what happens.

I live in OC too. Please PM me if you would like to exchange more details.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:00 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
mismatched or even new/old(er) tires have been known to cause issues with psm/abs. or at least the dash light cels suggest that is the case.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Twinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud of
I had PSM interfere too early and as time went on it got worse and worse (intervened earlier and earlier). Messed with wheel / tire sizes, steering angle sensor, wheel speed sensors, pump preasure switch etc all to no avail. One day, noticed my brake lights had failed. Replaced the brake light switch on brake pedal (about a $21 part) and like magic, everything has worked perfectly since.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 AM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting. Pretty funny you mention Ortega hwy because that is exactly where i was driving wednesday when it happened again. Let me know if it occurs again now that you cleaned the wheel sensors. I will try to clean mine this weekend when I have a minute.

Originally Posted by jindotli
My car is completed stock and I have exact the same problem. It has puzzled me for a while. This afternoon I took out the speed sensors in the front wheel hubs and cleaned them as suggested. Nothing seemed abnormal though. I am not sure it fixed the problem.

I never felt PSM was an issue when I go to Autox, DE or normal street drive no matter how hard I felt I pushed it. The issue is when I drive it on winding canyon roads (Ortega HWY) and I wasn't even driving it hard. I was just driving between 40~60mph and everything seemed normal. All of sudden, it cuts in and and put a short brake at front wheels(I don't know which one, could be both) for no obvious reasons. It got me scared. I did feel that it happens only when I go a little bit uphills with a little bit turn. I felt somehow PSM thinks the front wheels lost their traction and put brake on them. One thing though, I have newer set of rear tires than front. Plus the front tires are Pilot sports and rear tires are PS2. Obviously PS2 has better traction. Maybe it is related to the issue. I am waiting for the Super Sport with the stock sizes to come out next year so I can replace all of them. I will see what happens.

I live in OC too. Please PM me if you would like to exchange more details.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:11 PM
The only other variable I can think of is that the front brakes and rotors are new and the rear has a lot more wear (maybe 30-40% left). I don't think that should make a difference but just another item in the mix.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:01 PM
jumper5836 has a spectacular aura aboutjumper5836 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
The only other variable I can think of is that the front brakes and rotors are new and the rear has a lot more wear (maybe 30-40% left). I don't think that should make a difference but just another item in the mix.

Nope wouldn't matter.