996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Oil Change DIY Queston...Please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Kerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to all
Oil Change DIY Queston...Please!

I waited to long to take my 02 TT in for an oil change and now the snow has landed...So my thought was to do it myself then in spring take it in for a profesional one. Ive seen it done and know there are 4 drain plugs although "they" say leave the turbo ones alone as its minimal oil for risking damaging them as they get weak?? Next question if I jack up car from rear will that angle affect me getting all the oil out? Is there any tricks from a normal car about Porsche I should know about? Does anyone know if someone has posted a DIY thread on here? I had a quick search but no luck..

thanks guys!

Old 11-22-2012, 03:27 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
This should help.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-m97-70-a.html

This is for a 997 Metzger engine, should be about the same. I know there is another link somewhere, I will post if I find it.

I drain the turbos also, you will get different opinions on this. Not sure it's a huge deal.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:34 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Old 11-22-2012, 04:08 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Bring some towels!!

Old 11-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Hello fellow Calgarian. It is dead simple and why would there be a need for a professional one for something they train high school kids to do at speedy lube places.

Not that being said you can screw some expensive stuff up if you get dumb/

First off go to the porsche stealership and buy there filter wrench and an OEM filter. It is a good cast one that fits the canister perfectly and it is cheap believe it or not, from an actual dealership too; the filter is too. You will spend more getting an inferior aftermarket one in calgary.

You really do not need to bother with the turbos as very little oil does come out of there.

If you have any problems PM me and I can help you out.

Cheers
EG

Old 11-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Don't forget a bucket for the oil!

Sissy drain pans cannot keep up.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:31 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Why change the engine oil in the turbos when its instantly moved as soon as its started with the fresh oil? Seems to a waste of time.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:32 PM
m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !
The filter wrench cap you can just get at Autozone for like 7 bucks. Although, I forget what size it is.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:41 PM
contsaga has a spectacular aura aboutcontsaga has a spectacular aura aboutcontsaga has a spectacular aura about
I have an O2 Turbo and changed my oil 3 months ago.

I tried all the Autozone wrenches and couldn't find one that works. My mechanic friend showed me how to get it off in less than a minute with the Lisle Swivel Oil Filter Wrench #LIS53700. See attached pixs. You need a swivel handle wrench to get a full swing and clear obsticles. I bought it online for less than $9. I posted it to a Oil Change DIY but can't remember which one.

I did drain the Turbos this time but will not the next. I measured the oil from both turbos and it was less than what would fill a Jello pudding cup. There is probably more residual oil left in the bottom of the crankcase than what is in both turbos put together. As some folks have said, the new 997s don't even have drains on the turbos for draining.

As for suctioning the remaining oil in the filter canister, use a cotton rag, old cotton T-shirt, and soak it out. I'd tried several in-expensive suction and none of those worked. I believe the DIY that suggested a hyperdemic needle may work. Anyway, by the picture attached, there's less than 1/2 of a Jello pudding cups worth there as well. The total is far less than the 9 quarts you are draining out of the oil tank. BTW, use at least a 10 quart pan for the tank drain.

Also, very little oil comes out of the crankcase, since it's dry sump.

As for jacking up the car, the back is good enough, but jacking on all 4 corners will make the car level. Maybe a little more oil out of the crankcase, but not much since it's mostly in the oil tank.

I hope this helps.

Attached Images      

Last edited by contsaga; 11-22-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:39 AM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Kerrage... Those other people that say do not go spend the $20 on the filter wrench that fits 100% perfectly... DON'T listen to them.

I have the exact filter wrench that contsaga has, it does not work nicely. Almost anything other then the perfect fitting one will scar or scratch the cartridge cover. You're driving a Porsche not a Camry, the extra few bucks on the right tool will not break the bank I am sure. It slides over the top and you stick a 3/8's drive into it and the cap screws off in seconds!

Old 11-23-2012, 06:04 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
did my oil a couple months ago. best tip ever was to pull the fuel pump fuse FIRST and start the engine until it dies. THEN start the oil swap. once your done you can pour a single qt into the filter area to lube the top end. then crank the motor until you start to see pressure build. this fills the turbos and circulates the oil thru the passages before the engine is running. i did all 4 openings. let the oil drain for maybe 20 mins. in each area. all told i got 9 qts out. i used a green radiator drain pan with a huge opening. when you dump the tank it will overflow a normal pan. also remember to use 2 wrenches on the tank drain so you dont strip it off

Old 11-23-2012, 09:52 AM
contsaga has a spectacular aura aboutcontsaga has a spectacular aura aboutcontsaga has a spectacular aura about
I'm glad you can buy the wrench in Canada for $20. The vendor sponsor on this site sells it for $39.95. The other Porsche Dealership in my area(also a vendor sponsor) says they don't sell one. Another online site sells it for $44.95. Also you need the 25mm wrench to use the filter wrench, another added expense.

I use a rag (as shown on the picture) and have never scratched my filter cartridge.

Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2012, 10:34 AM
m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !
Just checked my tool box. It's a filter cap "B" wrench i got from autozone. It's made by OEM parts for about 7 bucks. Works perfect.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:38 PM
bng4god has a spectacular aura aboutbng4god has a spectacular aura about
Engine Guy is right! I tried both the autozone and the swivel wrench and neither worked. The Oil Filter housing was stuck on pretty tight. So after wasting money on both wrenches, I gave up and bought the Porsche wrench and it worked the very first time.

Sure, you may get lucky with one of the cheaper solutions, but if you want it to work GUARANTEED, then spend the money and buy the Porsche tool. Good luck!

B

Old 11-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I use a turkey baster to remove the oil in the filter housing - it works great, but the turkey tastes a little funny.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil Change DIY Queston...Please!