996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EVO Intake Box and MAF

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 06:31 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Here is a theory I have. I woul dlike to know if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Not knowing the internal workings of the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF), these are my thoughts.....

After reading the above, I am thinking the oil in the "oiled" air filter, as in the BMC and K&N filters, is the potential culprit. As an analogy, consider the use of halogen bulbs. It is fairly common knowledge that halogen bulbs should not be handled with your fingers. As I understand it, this is because the oil from your fingers, however dry they may appear to be, will "cook" the glass locally when the bulb is lit and eventually cause the glass to break from uneven heating. Since a MAF is a heating element that correlates temperature change to air flow, is it conceivable that some of the oil of the air filter collects on the MAF wire and causes premature failure????? Much like a halogen bulb?

I may be all wet with this. I want to hear opinions please.

Old 07-03-2005, 06:40 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
it's just a conicidence.

Old 07-03-2005, 06:44 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
All it does is coat the maf and cause a misreading of air. The box moves so much more air any questionable maf will throw a code. It doesn't actually blow or burn it. Cleaning it will allow it to read again.

Oak, instead of being so cynical how about taking me up on my offer then you can decide if the box is an issue.

Old 07-03-2005, 06:52 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
OK, I have this question...Should there be a regular maintenance schedule for the MAF...like every 1000 miles? This probably is an easy DIY where the MAF is removed, cleaned with electrical component solvent and re-installed. Is there a procedure for cleaning the air filters?

Old 07-03-2005, 06:55 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Not the MAF, but I always clean the new filters with brake clean and compressed air. WARNING, do not get air near the MAF. It will destroy it. Do this on the K&N type filters and you will be ok. The MAF could be cleaned as well, but you will never see the dealer say that. Easier to sell them.

Old 07-03-2005, 07:01 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
Originally posted by PorschePhd
All it does is coat the maf and cause a misreading of air. The box moves so much more air any questionable maf will throw a code. It doesn't actually blow or burn it. Cleaning it will allow it to read again.

Oak, instead of being so cynical how about taking me up on my offer then you can decide if the box is an issue.
stephan, thanks for the offer, but I don't think the EVO intake is for me. My turbo is just fine the way it is. As you know if you mod there is always an outcome in the chain, some good some not so good and some you may have to compromise. Some may have no problems and others may. I don't need the hassle.

Old 07-03-2005, 07:32 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
The MAF could be cleaned as well, but you will never see the dealer say that. Easier to sell them.
Stephen, my dealer recommended cleaning the MAF and said he would do it anytime I was in the area (I live about 45 minutes from him.) Maybe that's because it is under warranty still.

Old 07-03-2005, 07:48 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Question: I have heard some suggest using the Boxter S MAF sensor. The theory behind it is? Another question ............. what is the size of the Boxter throttle body? Is it bigger? Would using the MAF sensor from a larger throttle body car help? Like the GT3 MAF sensor or?

Last edited by cjv; 07-03-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:32 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
The boxster throttle body is the SAME size as the the TT one. Funny that

Old 07-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by oak
stephan, thanks for the offer, but I don't think the EVO intake is for me. My turbo is just fine the way it is. As you know if you mod there is always an outcome in the chain, some good some not so good and some you may have to compromise. Some may have no problems and others may. I don't need the hassle.

If you ever change your mind let me know. Offer stands.

Old 07-03-2005, 11:44 PM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
If the maf is dirty at all and the new box is installed it will throw the codes. Much like bad plugs and a new program. You can clean the MAF. You must use an industrial circuit cleaner and let it soak for 20 minutes.
What is industrial circuit cleaner and where do I get it ? Is it a spray?

Old 07-04-2005, 06:47 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
I don't think

anybody ever blew their TT MAF with either a B&M or K&N air filter and my cut back airbox works just fine, so it must be the EVO system, if so many have occured

Old 07-04-2005, 07:06 AM
vipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by ebaker
What is industrial circuit cleaner and where do I get it ? Is it a spray?
It is a spray
Radio Shack sells it along with any other electronics stores

Old 07-04-2005, 07:55 AM
CamNeelyphile is just really niceCamNeelyphile is just really niceCamNeelyphile is just really niceCamNeelyphile is just really nice
Hiccups

I had a case of those scarey hiccups with my car when immediately after washing I did the dry-off run around the block prior to final towel down. There was a small amount of water inside the intake housing at the time. On going through the gears it occurred three(3) times in three(3) different gears at higher rpms which would be when the heavy "sucking" occurs. There has been no subsequent episode.

I am confident that any growing pains will be quickly remedied by EVO and/or their suppliers. Imagine Auto is the cream of the crop and Stephen proves it every time he posts here on 6speed. When you try and ride the wave of performance you have to expect a certain element of "trial and error" no??? I am proud to be Stephen's client and rely on both his products and expert advice.

Old 07-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Re: I don't think

Originally posted by RichardCH
anybody ever blew their TT MAF with either a B&M or K&N air filter and my cut back airbox works just fine, so it must be the EVO system, if so many have occured

And there have been just as many with the stock airbox. As I mentioned before the ECUs were blamed for a hiccup and the issue turned out to be plugs.; It was always the ECU, oops not really. Doing a research on the net on MAFs for the Audi, VW and Benz MAFs will show there is an issue with them. None of them have EVO boxes.

DO NOT USE the spray from Radio shack. This is a cleaner we use on PC board and is harsh smelling and comes in a gallon. I will get the name on Tues. I don't have any here at the house.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EVO Intake Box and MAF