996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EVO Intake Box and MAF

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 12:28 PM
californian is infamous around these parts
Thanks Stephen. I would appreciate the product name. I pulled the code on my car today. It will be no surprise to the PhD's on the forum but for the rest of us here is the only fault code in the OBDII.

P0102 MOD$11 1/1
MAF or VAF
Circuit Low Input

I erased the code started the car and within seconds the code came back. In a couple of days I will try to clean the MAF (using Stephen's product and recommendation) and let you know what happens.

Old 07-04-2005, 12:43 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
I'm installing my EVO airbox next week so I hope I don't have this type of problem. I have over 25,000 miles over three years with no problems so....I'll post back about this in a few weeks.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:34 PM
I just installed my new MAF ($400). The car runs strong again! We'll see for how long.

Stephen, I still have the old MAF and would like to try and clean it for a spare. What was the name of the cleaner you've used and where do I get it? Thanks everyone. Richard

Old 07-09-2005, 03:26 PM
jayster is infamous around these parts
Id like to know as well Steve, I use Wurth brake cleaner ( rubbing alchohol and c02 as propellant ) it works well. Also ditto on the VW/Audi MAF problems Steve mentioned, we are not alone...
Also search the board for threads on this topic, as there are plenty.

Old 07-10-2005, 10:26 AM
Kills Bugs Fast
45otto is infamous around these parts
I have cleaned my MAF and put it back in, but still have the error codes/lights. Anyone know how to clear the codes without a trip to the dealership?

Old 07-10-2005, 11:19 AM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
I think they have a reader at Autozone to read and reset the codes.

Old 07-10-2005, 12:05 PM
gneypiks is infamous around these partsgneypiks is infamous around these parts
got mine from harrisons.,obd reader is a must for anyone that mod their cars as despite whatever kit you go with you will some day hv the dreaded cel!!!!

Old 07-10-2005, 01:07 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by KPV
Here is a theory I have. I woul dlike to know if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Not knowing the internal workings of the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF), these are my thoughts.....

After reading the above, I am thinking the oil in the "oiled" air filter, as in the BMC and K&N filters, is the potential culprit. As an analogy, consider the use of halogen bulbs. It is fairly common knowledge that halogen bulbs should not be handled with your fingers. As I understand it, this is because the oil from your fingers, however dry they may appear to be, will "cook" the glass locally when the bulb is lit and eventually cause the glass to break from uneven heating. Since a MAF is a heating element that correlates temperature change to air flow, is it conceivable that some of the oil of the air filter collects on the MAF wire and causes premature failure????? Much like a halogen bulb?

I may be all wet with this. I want to hear opinions please.

Hmm... spoken like a true engineer!

Old 07-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by 45otto
I have cleaned my MAF and put it back in, but still have the error codes/lights. Anyone know how to clear the codes without a trip to the dealership?

Otto, I picked this one up http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16150 Seems to work ok. I also have http://www.autoenginuity.com software which is much more robust.

Old 07-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Kills Bugs Fast
Thank you gentlemen. You are the best. I love this board.

Old 07-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Kills Bugs Fast
Well, I sprayed down the MAF with brake cleaner that said "no residue". Let it dry, reinstalled it, cleared the codes with my new handy dandy ODB II scannerĂ¢â‚¬Â¦..woot.

And before I get out of the garage the codes are back...ohh no!!

So, what is the proper way to clean the MAF? What part if it needs the cleaning?

Old 07-10-2005, 05:29 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
http://www.knfilters.com/massair.htm

K&N MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR STATEMENT

At this time, K&N is unaware of any evidence that K&N air filter oil from a K&N air filter can damage or cause the malfunction of a MAF sensor, regardless of the make of the vehicle involved. K&N takes seriously any claim that one of its products is incompatible with its designated application or can damage or cause the malfunction of any automotive component. Such claims are thoroughly investigated and, when appropriate, testing is undertaken to determine their merit. In the case of MAF sensors, ongoing tests have shown that contamination from K&N air filter oil has not caused any failures or malfunctions of the MAF sensors in the test vehicles. K&N is aware that MAF sensors can become contaminated for a variety of reasons, unrelated to a K&N air filter (such as backfiring, blowby, leaking airbox or leaking intake duct) and that various methods have been used by some service departments and repair shops to clean a dirty or contaminated MAF sensor, such as spraying with an appropriate cleaner. K&N has not completed any tests as to the efficacy of such a process and, therefore, does not officially endorse or recommend any cleaning process. However, if given the choice of either replacing a MAF sensor or cleaning it, K&N recommends that the consumer ask his or her automotive dealer to attempt cleaning, before replacement. It should be noted that the presence of contamination does not mean the contamination was the cause of the MAF sensor failure. Sensors can fail for electrical or mechanical reasons, unrelated to any visible contamination.

Old 07-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Stupid question: Does the EVO air box use a K&N filter?

Craig

Old 07-10-2005, 06:14 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
It says "Custom designed cotton air filter" in their literature.

Old 07-11-2005, 12:11 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by 45otto
If you have an old Palm Pilot kicking around, you should pick this software up. You alos need to buy a cable. It's great. Clears CEL, does datalogs of various parameters.

Pocket Logger

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EVO Intake Box and MAF