996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Battery tender connections?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 03:43 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
That price seems about right. I paid $60 for my battery tender. I initially bought it with my bike in mind but I actually ride more than I drive . It's heavy duty enough that it works for both, so I'm mainly using it for my cars at the moment.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:04 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
That Porsche model also comes with a very long power cord, which is nice if you need that much. Most of mine has never been unrolled because there is so much extra. It's simple and well-thought-out.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:17 AM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Just picked this up today for winter... same model as the one from Porsche, just without Porsche written on it.

Amazon Amazon

Make sure you get the cigarette plug adapter as well for 10 bucks:

Amazon Amazon

Old 12-08-2012, 09:44 AM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by daedalus
Just picked this up today for winter... same model as the one from Porsche, just without Porsche written on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Multi-12-Volt-.../dp/B000FQBWCY

Make sure you get the cigarette plug adapter as well for 10 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-263-Co...gy_auto_text_y
I think that'll do ya just fine.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:06 AM
acmf74 is infamous around these parts
I have a BMW tender that I used for winter storage. This one connects through the cigarette lighter also.

I guessing this would be safe for the 996?

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/3303...FU7MtAodxn0Aew

Thanks,

Old 09-22-2014, 12:33 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by acmf74
I have a BMW tender that I used for winter storage. This one connects through the cigarette lighter also.

I guessing this would be safe for the 996?

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/3303...FU7MtAodxn0Aew

Thanks,
Same insides...different badging.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:54 PM
rennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to behold
Be careful to check your battery fluid level periodically.
I left my CTEK on for several months and the battery was nearly bone dry.
Tried to contact CTEK about this but customer service there is nearly nil.
Or is this typical of all trickle chargers?

Old 09-23-2014, 10:24 AM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rennwerkes
Be careful to check your battery fluid level periodically.
I left my CTEK on for several months and the battery was nearly bone dry.
Tried to contact CTEK about this but customer service there is nearly nil.
Or is this typical of all trickle chargers?
That's strange?! The charger should give an error if something is wrong with the battery. Mine has two lights; one showing that is charging and one showing that is it in "standby mode". It should be in the latter most of the time. If there is some sort of problem with the battery, one of the lights will flash red. Have a look at the manual for your charger.

Also, make sure to use a battery tender, not a trickle charger! The latter keeps a constant charge, which is not good. A battery tender monitors the voltage and only charges when necessary.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:56 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
They ctek 3300 for 60,bucks is the same as the Porsche branded one and it trickles and tends insofar as it does cycle on/off if left connected whether from the CIG socket or by the included alligator clips.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:16 PM
rennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
That's strange?! The charger should give an error if something is wrong with the battery. Mine has two lights; one showing that is charging and one showing that is it in "standby mode". It should be in the latter most of the time. If there is some sort of problem with the battery, one of the lights will flash red. Have a look at the manual for your charger.

Also, make sure to use a battery tender, not a trickle charger! The latter keeps a constant charge, which is not good. A battery tender monitors the voltage and only charges when necessary.
Nope, no error.
Green light all the way.
Tried to start the car and only a click.
Had to refill all cells with H2O
Battery is perfectly fine now.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:28 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
It wont be for long. I would replace before you get stuck.

Once a battery runs dry, or bone dry as you stated, it will not be a good reliable source of power.

Originally Posted by rennwerkes
Nope, no error.
Green light all the way.
Tried to start the car and only a click.
Had to refill all cells with H2O
Battery is perfectly fine now.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:37 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
the thread reminded me to plug in the ol ctek last night and if i'm reading this right? the green light shouldn't stay lit for long. if the unit is working properly the green light will alternate back to yellow periodically indicating the charging function is intermittent on a ( nearly ) fully charged battery. meaning even charged it should revert back to yellow charging mode. then cycle on/off.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !
I connected mine to the battery and the connector sits right by the windshield under the hood. I don't dig the cig lighter set up at all.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by JSF721
It wont be for long. I would replace before you get stuck.

Once a battery runs dry, or bone dry as you stated, it will not be a good reliable source of power.
Actually, under normal conditions you're probably right.
But remember that the battery was still being "charged" so the battery didn't really discharge till dead.
So I refilled all the cells, charged it back up, and load tested it.
Everything checked out so I'm just crossing my fingers it'll last for a while.
If not, that's what AAA is for! LOL!

Old 09-24-2014, 01:21 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
I've been using mine for two years and other then going red and signifying bad battery its been alternating back to charging on occasion but mostly green.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Battery tender connections?