996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Agency exhaust giving cel on 02 tt help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 03:40 AM
voodoojar is a splendid one to beholdvoodoojar is a splendid one to beholdvoodoojar is a splendid one to beholdvoodoojar is a splendid one to beholdvoodoojar is a splendid one to beholdvoodoojar is a splendid one to behold
So I decided to go for the tune, I'm leaning toward EPL to do it. The extensions just don't seem like a reliable fix. I really had no plans to touch power on this car. I know as soon as I get the tune I'm going to want to fix the waste gates, replace DVs and intercoolers and before I know it all the money I have for my suspension is gone. All because a little light on the dash is so irritating.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Last edited by voodoojar; 12-07-2012 at 03:42 AM. Reason: bad spelling.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:40 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by voodoojar
So I decided to go for the tune, I'm leaning toward EPL to do it. The extensions just don't seem like a reliable fix. I really had no plans to touch power on this car. I know as soon as I get the tune I'm going to want to fix the waste gates, replace DVs and intercoolers and before I know it all the money I have for my suspension is gone. All because a little light on the dash is so irritating.

Thanks for everyone's help.
The extensions are a reliable and cheap fix,,,why not try that first if you dont care about more power?

Old 12-07-2012, 06:43 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Simi_996
I decided to have my tuner fix the problem. Was concerned that even if the cats are able to pass the sniffer test for smog, that they would still fail me for having extenders on the O2 sensor.
I personally have never heard of anyone getting caught using extensions and failing due to that...

Old 12-07-2012, 06:46 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I guess technically he could fail a visual inspection if they saw the extenders. It is Kalifornia he's dealing with after all!!

Old 12-07-2012, 07:00 AM
voodoojar is a splendid one to beholdvoodoojar is a splendid one to beholdvoodoojar is a splendid one to beholdvoodoojar is a splendid one to beholdvoodoojar is a splendid one to beholdvoodoojar is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by johnspeed
The extensions are a reliable and cheap fix,,,why not try that first if you dont care about more power?
Are they? I was basing it off comments in this thread like when you said "most of the time." and the Vivid guy saying "the guaranteed fix would be going with a Softronic flash." Of course the Vivid website also says the exhaust wasn't supposed to throw a CEL to begin with, so he's probably just pushing the expensive fix at this point

I guess I'll give extenders a try if the CEL pops up again. I erased the code last night and it hasn't come back on so maybe it was a fluke.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I guess technically he could fail a visual inspection if they saw the extenders. It is Kalifornia he's dealing with after all!!
If they where going to check for extenders,they would first see that his exhaust is not OEM and not CARB approved....

Old 12-07-2012, 07:21 AM
Are they? I was basing it off comments in this thread like when you said "most of the time." and the Vivid guy saying "the guaranteed fix would be going with a Softronic flash." Of course the Vivid website also says the exhaust wasn't supposed to throw a CEL to begin with, so he's probably just pushing the expensive fix at this point

I guess I'll give extenders a try if the CEL pops up again. I erased the code last night and it hasn't come back on so maybe it was a fluke.
Reality of it is,, I think we all can say safely that nothing is guaranteed in the High Performence world once you start modifying and each circumstance is different...lol..
Good Luck

Old 12-07-2012, 08:02 AM
NTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond repute
Does anybody make o2 sims for the 996 turbo? I would just go for a softronics or EPL tune and be done with it but I am a power junky.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Price was right on the EPL tune, just called them and ordered.

Last edited by voodoojar; 12-07-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:26 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Dumb question but are you sure you didn't install them backwards? As in you put the post cat o2 where the pre cat o2 sits?

Old 12-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by gearhead
Dumb question but are you sure you didn't install them backwards? As in you put the post cat o2 where the pre cat o2 sits?
yeah Im sure. The cel didnt come on immediately it came on a few hundred miles later. i cleared the code and it hasnt come back. after calling EPL I bought their tune today. the dude on the phone was so ****ing nice and gave me a great deal, i couldnt help myself. i thought the tune would cost much more. i still have plenty of money left for my suspension mods i want to do.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Glad you got it worked out.
Quick question didnt the light come on after you filled up with a tank of gas?

Like you said it typically will not throw a code but the free flowing cats do leave less room for error.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:44 PM
yeah Im sure. The cel didnt come on immediately it came on a few hundred miles later. i cleared the code and it ohasnt come back. after calling EPL I bought their tune today. the dude on the phone was so ****ing nice and gave me a great deal, i couldnt help myself. i thought the tune would cost much
still have plenty of money left for my suspension mods i want to do.
You will be glad that you did a tune, it will be like a new rocket...Plus you can not beat the tune with his price.
Enjoy..

Old 12-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Schwolneck is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I still get them too Schwolneck, but not with regularity. I can go quite a few drives in between seeing them. For my case, I just plan a re-flash to remove the rear O2 sensor checks to be done with it. I've seen that there are some different (longer) 90 degree units also available to act as extenders, but I have no personal experience with them. Might be worth a shot if you want to live on with your current tune?
Thanks for the info Steve, do you know who makes the 90 degree extenders that you mentioned?

Old 12-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Schwolneck
Thanks for the info Steve, do you know who makes the 90 degree extenders that you mentioned?
Here they are right here my friend:

http://maxspeed-motorsports.com/minicat.html

It's offered by a 6Speed approved vendor, so no problem sharing the information here. I stumbled upon these the other day and was intrigued, but have no experience with the parts. Best wishes, and I'm sure you could send them a few questions.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Agency exhaust giving cel on 02 tt help