996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Possible new owner of a 996 turbo, what power is possible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 05:39 PM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
This is a good setup. I have done about the same thing and good results.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...bourne-fl.html

Old 12-10-2012, 06:34 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
1000+whp car is totally streetable as well.

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
at 600 rwhp you still have avery streetable car. now ask this question. i want to drive my car from idaho to california for a holiday weekend. can i get race fuel or e85 for my trip? if you build a car for only high octane fuel you limit the amount of time you can drive it. these cars are great for the track or strip. mind blowing even. but they are also amazing cars to drive across country and truly enjoy.
im shooting for 600 rwhp on 93 oct. fuel . i can then drive the car just about anywere i want without fear of detonation. add 103 unleaded for the track and im golden for my level of power i want.

just a thought

heres a well sorted example from a well known member. i was trying to buy this when i found my yellow turbo.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...911tuning.html

Old 12-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
1000+whp car is totally streetable as well.
its just my .02 but the cost to go from 600 rwhp to 1000 rwhp takes the streetability away from it. sure it can be done but watching the videos posted on here a lot of that power just cant be utilized on the street
just watching the etown roll event shows ebello was about the only car that could get any decent hook. the other porsches were just spinning thru the gears. spinning aint winning!

Old 12-10-2012, 07:08 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
I believe in getting ever bit of power I can with 93 pump gas, even though bang for the buck after my level now is not that great with that fuel choice.
I have taken road trips to EPL for tweeking/dynoing and to Protomotive for remapping / dynoing from Chicago...All enjoyable road trips..

Last edited by johnspeed; 12-10-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 PM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 420a-t
Thanks guys. Sounds like making 600+whp is no problem on the stock motor, and using the car for daily drive duty.....

Anyone want to buy a 10-second evo??? Lol
ID Falls, thats a short drive to SLC, you should come down and drive at Miller!
Bring that Evo down and see what you can do at the Lap battle time trial.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:09 PM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by z06801
You guys have any really good indie shops down in SLC? I need to get my coolant pipes welded! Let me know! Thx!

Sorry didn't mean to go off topic!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:21 PM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes Race Co. at Mlller they just welded mine this spring. Cole there is a Porsche tech and Pete is a race engineer( currently for a ALMS team ) and a very good welder. Just follow my friend Dr. Mark down from Boise in his UGR Lambo he'll bring you right in

Last edited by z06801; 12-10-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:38 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Yea, but those RWD boys needed to turn it down just a notch or two. I guess it all depends on which street you're talking about. We have plenty of streets that can handle the power. As a matter of fact, the streets can handle more power than the track most of the time. I don't think cost has anything to do with "streetable" cars.

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
its just my .02 but the cost to go from 600 rwhp to 1000 rwhp takes the streetability away from it. sure it can be done but watching the videos posted on here a lot of that power just cant be utilized on the street
just watching the etown roll event shows ebello was about the only car that could get any decent hook. the other porsches were just spinning thru the gears. spinning aint winning!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
The track sucked. My car hooks better in the streets with warm tires. My car is as streetable as any other car. My engine makes 500 wheel before it gets on boost. It does not have the torque of a boosted motor at that point but who cares.. 500 wheel N/A FTW!!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:52 PM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
Yes Race Co. at Mlller they just welded mine this spring. Cole there is a Porsche tech and Pete is a race engineer( currently for a ALMS team ) and a very good welder. Just follow my friend Dr. Mark down from Boise in his UGR Lambo he'll bring you right in
What color is his Lambo? Ive never seem a UGR Lambo cruising around in Boise! I would "Try" to follow him down! Lol! Does he really drive it down to SLC or trailer it?

Could you do me a favor and PM me what they charged you to do your coolant pipes and there contact info? I have family there I could stay with so it might work out nicely for me!

Ok sorry for the thread jack! I'm done!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by machinegunt
What color is his Lambo? Ive never seem a UGR Lambo cruising around in Boise! I would "Try" to follow him down! Lol! Does he really drive it down to SLC or trailer it?

Could you do me a favor and PM me what they charged you to do your coolant pipes and there contact info? I have family there I could stay with so it might work out nicely for me!

Ok sorry for the thread jack! I'm done!
He trailers it down, it just went 238 at Mojave mile this year, drives a ZR1 on the track, I'll pm you details.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:19 PM
420a-t is infamous around these parts
Arrow

When is that? Id like to attend some more road race events.

Well I am sure that I want a Porsche, and as far the maint. Goes it honestly looks just a hair more than the evo in terms of cost (when you purchase oem/premium parts). The only problem that is holding me back is the cost of a new motor or trans that's a pretty penny and honestly if one of those two items fail on me, it would be a while before I could drive it again, because in reality I wouldn't have $8k plus outside of savings that I would want to/afford to spend.

Decisions decisions...

Thank you

Josh

Old 12-12-2012, 06:27 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Don't kid yourself Josh. The costs are a lot higher than the Evo for maintenance, modification, and possibly insurance (depending on your age, location, etc.). I'd hate for you to buy one thinking that it was close to the Evo in terms of those costs since I'm pretty sure it's not. My Evo owning buddies and I compare costs regularly and things for the 996TT are generally 2-3 times more expensive, if you look at parts like bodywork or many one-off modifications. Be prepared if you're coming this way, I'd hate for you to have sticker shock.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by 420a-t
When is that? Id like to attend some more road race events.

Well I am sure that I want a Porsche, and as far the maint. Goes it honestly looks just a hair more than the evo in terms of cost (when you purchase oem/premium parts). The only problem that is holding me back is the cost of a new motor or trans that's a pretty penny and honestly if one of those two items fail on me, it would be a while before I could drive it again, because in reality I wouldn't have $8k plus outside of savings that I would want to/afford to spend.

Decisions decisions...

Thank you

Josh
There are some open days in Jan and Feb weather permitting they fall on a Saturday and they call them off by Wed if it looks bad so you plan for it, and they also have Winter X events where they run track as is 8" of snow or dry, Its kinda of a fast autoX course with a few cones on the track. Lapbattle starts back up end of March. It is ran by NASA so you have to be a NASA level 3 to drive,which you can get to fairly quick by running in group 1 and 2 first. The good thing about NASA is that all your track days are noted and can go toward getting a competition license. check nasautah.com, and motorsportsreg.com for dates on all the above. Here is a pic from lapbattle battle of me pushing my buddy in the Cobb GT-R time trial car. It's a lot of fun and cool cars, John Potter from Magnus Racing even drives his Porsche Rolex car when he is in town. Come drive which ever way you go on the car.