996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I am weak, I am so badly wanting one. Ultima GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 08:24 PM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
I would go with the Penske, 3 way, with remote reservoir 8760 Series
Great shocks

Last edited by ADAMNSONS; 12-13-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:52 PM
TTZ06 is infamous around these parts
If I ever build another track monster like my Evo 8 was, regardless of the car, I'd go with Ohlins again. Had a few different setups in their before but even at the price they commanded it was well worth it IMO.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ADAMNSONS
I would go with the Penske, 3 way, with remote reservoir 8760 Series Great shocks
It is not just as simple as picking what ever shock you think you would like to have. There are some physical / Mechanical issues that have to be met. Length, stroke, bump stop method and many more.....

The design aspects of a TTX shock as compared to the Penske is like comparing a Camaro to a GT3 911; the Penske in not the 911.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:48 PM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Engine Guy
It is not just as simple as picking what ever shock you think you would like to have. There are some physical / Mechanical issues that have to be met. Length, stroke, bump stop method and many more.....

The design aspects of a TTX shock as compared to the Penske is like comparing a Camaro to a GT3 911; the Penske in not the 911.
The race engineer at RaceCo was explaining the TTX system to me, said nothing even comes close.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:31 AM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by z06801
The race engineer at RaceCo was explaining the TTX system to me, said nothing even comes close.
They are fabulous, The Ohlins TTX shocks on my 966, along with several other mods have tranformed my car into something that is just hard to put into words, it has to be experienced.

On a local rough mountain road not far from my house me and several other exotic driving friends were having some fun. I passed one friend in a lambo, on a particularly nasty stretch of road, like he was nail down. He said he thought I was touched for going so fast but I offered to take him for a ride. He was absolutely blow away at how composed my car was over such choppy pavement.

Ohlins shocks really are some of the best components money can buy.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:40 AM
RennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of light
Why change the upright, a simple re-design of the control arm for the castor angle
Not only to change the castor, but to also reduce the amount of scrub(radius) the front had. The car has like 962 scrub radius, just without the 962 front geometry Made the car "hunt" less on the road at speed(gotta remember no PS on these chassis)

I'll dig out what I have on it and post it later. Gotta get back out to the shop and get tooling on the CNC for a mold I need to complete by the weekend.

As far as OP.....do it. you won't regret anything about it unless you hate attention.........then I suggest you avoid the car.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:34 PM
GAMEOVA is infamous around these parts
If you want a machine that can be street regoed and just leave everything else on the road for dead you have to get an Ultima.

I would keep it N/A if I was you. I was going to charge mine and decided against it. They are that stupidly quick due to the light weight you don't need it. I even think I went too far N/A. I got a 440ci LSX built out of the States using a World Warhawk alloy block. It made 800hp and 800ftlbs of torque on the engine dyno. And for $15k it was a bargain. And if sensors/ancillaries fail on it, it's walk into the local GM dealer to get another one. Why would you even consider putting a different engine in it.

Weight wise I have A/C, stereo, alarm, reverse camera in mine and it went over the weigh bridge for rego at 1040kg. The engine without ancillaries was 200kg so add an alternator, A/C compressor to that. The Warhawk block keeps them light.

One thing you have to remember with these cars it Ultima Sports attitude is this is a fast budget street car. So if you want to make them quicker/better you can. Things like anti roll bars, chassis stiffening, better shocks, power steering, carbon body, the list can be endless like modding any other street car. Then you could start adding tech. to it, sequential gearboxs, traction control, ABS etc.

The thing you have to remember is the basic car does what it does already with a 640hp engine without putting anything else into it and still smashes anything else on the road inc 1000cc crutchrockets even off the lights.

The only real downfall as said above. You can't drive it anywhere without getting swarmed by people wanting to know what it is. People running to the side of the road to get video, people hanging out of car windows with their thumbs up. It gets crazy attention.

Oh and the women love getting photos with them

Last edited by GAMEOVA; 12-14-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Oh and for those that don't know the capabilities of the Ultima watch these:

This is the base setup you buy with a 640hp engine full street legal:

This is the upgraded engine package 720hp and suspension adjustment for the track still the same as you buy from the factory with added slick tyres and anti roll bars:

Old 12-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by GAMEOVA
It went over the weigh bridge for rego at 1040kg.
What was it like dealing with Rego. I have been considering moving back to OZ so I was thinking it would be a car I could take with me as it can easily be converted over to right hand drive. My Motec friends have told me that if I do to come back I still have a job if I want one. I still have not been able to sell my beach house on the great ocean road so I have another reason to go back. I am quite sick of this weather here and I do very much miss surfing so who knows???

I can not remember which state was the harder one to deal with Vic or NSW for rego issues, I know one of them was way harder to deal with?

Again; were there many issues getting your car to pass Vic's rego requirements.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Last edited by Engine Guy; 12-14-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:20 PM
What was it like dealing with Rego. I have been considering moving back to OZ so I was thinking it would be a car I could take with me as it can easily be converted over to right hand drive. My Motec friends have told me that if I do to come back I still have a job if I want one. I still have not been able to sell my beach house on the great ocean road so I have another reason to go back. I am quite sick of this weather here and I do very much miss surfing so who knows???

I can not remember which state was the harder one to deal with Vic or NSW for rego issues, I know one of them was way harder to deal with?

Again; were there many issues getting your car to pass Vic's rego requirements.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Straight over ACT rego. No hassles.

Not easy to convert. If you knew you were coming back just order a rhd one to come here

Old 12-15-2012, 10:13 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
it looks like c5 vette from the back and i think its but a$$ ugly .... if you just want the car to go fast and handle ,i guess its ok ...

but other then that..... the interior ... well there is non, and the creaks and crackles the toy feeling would drive me nuts . and i just cant see how safe this is if you were to get in a big accident......

Old 12-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by unvmy996
it looks like c5 vette from the back and i think its but a$$ ugly .... if you just want the car to go fast and handle ,i guess its ok ...

but other then that..... the interior ... well there is non, and the creaks and crackles the toy feeling would drive me nuts . and i just cant see how safe this is if you were to get in a big accident......
The looks side is personal choice. You can build an interior to anything you want, many have gone all out. As far as being safe in an accident it will be as safe as many other tube frame chassis race cars with roll cage and harnesses

Old 12-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by GAMEOVA
As far as being safe in an accident it will be as safe as many other tube frame chassis race cars with roll cage and harnesses
OH so you mean very very safe.

Look at the side pods you have, you have a 12" crumple zone beside each seat.

I myself would love to see a CroMo frame that is tig welded. But that would be more for esthetics then strength.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:48 PM
RennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of light
OH so you mean very very safe.

Look at the side pods you have, you have a 12" crumple zone beside each seat.

I myself would love to see a CroMo frame that is tig welded. But that would be more for esthetics then strength.

Lol, yeah and the fuel cells kinda occupy a little bit of them towards the rear .

to be honest though, I often feel safer in the GTR's than I do in some other cars on the road, like my POs winter beater GMC

GAMEOVA, that's a nice *** you posted, err I mean rear! Bumper that is

Old 01-09-2013, 02:12 PM
OK OK I am allowed to change my mind.

After much research and though about this matter I think I am leaning to a SLC chassis instead of the Ultima.

When it comes down to it I just can not wrap my mind around the cheap regular steel frame and the cost associated with personally building a one off cro-mo frame for myself and the additional issues with making it fit my gorilla like proportions. They just have not been doing any great developing of the car for many years

Also talking with the owner and the people at SLC they are really driven to improve an already great handling car work even better.

Other factors played into this too, issues like SLC actually being in north america.

I will give the idea till early spring to develop in my head then go from there. As I already have an engine in the works I really should decide as soon as I can that way my build time and engine completion time might correspond. Really what is holdingme back right now is work. If I am going to work lots this summer I will not have the build time. If I decide to not work this summer I will have lots of time to commit to such a project.

http://superlitecars.com/superlite-coupe/

http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/wp-...-slc-5-900.png

Last edited by Engine Guy; 01-09-2013 at 02:15 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I am weak, I am so badly wanting one. Ultima GTR