996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY exhaust install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 10:52 PM
ypshan is infamous around these parts
DIY exhaust install

Has anybody installed an aftermarket exhaust on the TT yourself? How long did it take and any special tools needed?

I am thinking about swapping between the stock and aftermarket exhausts for track days and daily driving.

If the effort is too intensive, then it's not practical to do it before and after the track events.

Thanks.

Last edited by ypshan; 07-06-2005 at 05:48 AM.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:26 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Muffler install

Here is a write up done a couple of years ago. Hopefully this will help you decide.

Old 07-06-2005, 06:33 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
I installed my fabspeed exhaust and while it is not difficult it is not
something I would want to do all the time.

Old 07-06-2005, 06:34 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Just don't let Buddy change a tire

Old 07-06-2005, 07:27 AM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
I changed my own exhaust. The only "problems" that you might see will involve removing the top bolts on the exhaust (where it connects to the turbo). There is only a little bit of room, so it will test you patience. It isn't difficult to do, though.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:30 AM
Just remember to shove back and up then out.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by PorschePhd
Just remember to shove back and up then out.
Yep. The band clamps can be tricky as well (if you have never done them before).

Old 07-07-2005, 08:43 PM
KJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond repute
we are doing it now at a buddy's shop and we are stuck at the part where we remove the exhaust.. clips and the other bolts are out, even the tips.

We are supposed to shove back (towards the car?) then out? Remove at an angle?

If someone who's done it before can call me on my cellphone, we are stuck.. :-(

703-xxx-xxxx

Hopefully someone is up surfing now...

There's 5 of us and we are trying back and forth feeling out the muffler but something else is holding it.. and we can't see.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by KJM3SMG; 07-08-2005 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:55 PM
KJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond repute
you guys are awesome.. right after I post.. 3 people called me.. 404, 706 and 913 area codes.

After talking to the first person (404), it looks like we are stuck at the band clamps. The muffler is being held there and teethering(sp?).

Thanks to 706 and 913... will try to move it back and forth and follow the advice. And will post here again when stuck. Ok going back to the shop and will check update.

Once again, you all are awesome!!!

KJ

Old 07-07-2005, 08:56 PM
My cell number is on your voicemail. I tried to call.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by PorschePhd
My cell number is on your voicemail. I tried to call.
I called them. It was the band clamps. I had to walk out to my garage in order to make sure which way to push them (outwards on both sides). They loosened the clamps, but didn't physically free them off of the "hooks" so to speak.

I was the 404 # (did you notice the 0996 in my last 4 digits? ). I wonder who the 706 # is (as that is a GA number)?

Old 07-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Banned
Neil@Orton is infamous around these parts
706 was me

Old 07-07-2005, 09:07 PM
I was the 913

Old 07-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Thanks to Ruiner who was the first to call and help out.. and the Neil and Stephen for calling too (I was on the other line when you called).

Here's a pic of us saying thanks! I'm the 2nd from the left. Bill is the other guy you talked to (first guy on left).

The other guys had C230 Kompressors (Gray and White) and Bill's STi in some of the pics. I will post more pics tommorrow.. I just wanted to upload a few and show the thank you, and a shot of us working on it.

I also have video comparos that I have to shrink down, and will post them stock vs Remus.

It took us a while coz of redos, adjustments, letting the exhaust cool down.. and of course trying to get the stock exhaust off. Started at 8pm, finished a little after 1am.. rofl.. we ordered a pizza and chilled out.

It was fun tho.

Thanks again, going to bed.. and will have a complete writeup maybe tommorrow.

Old 07-08-2005, 07:57 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
OK, time for a PHOTO CAPTION CONTEST for that first picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll start...........

How many blingers does it take to change a 996TT exhaust??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY exhaust install