996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Getting started on my 18G conversion, anything I'll need?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:06 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Getting started on my 18G conversion, anything I'll need?

Going to install my 18g turbos as well as my new clutch in the next week or so. I'm going to take my time as I don't really drive the car in the winter much anyways. Also going to do the GT2 slave setup and some other maintenance like welding or pinning the fittings and maybe a new water pump. I am going to pull the engine for this. I'm going to build my own exhaust for this setup also. Here is my parts list, let me know if I am missing anything or if there are any surprises. Any advice is appreciated.

K24/18g's
Turbo gasket set
Spec Stage 2+ clutch and pressure plate
Siemens 60lb injectors and spacers
Spark plugs, not sure which are best?
Durametric (will hire a tuner once finished)

Still need to buy:
Diverter valves
Various GT2 slave setup parts
Stuff needed to disable clutch boost pump parts?
Various parts for exhaust setup (planning on using a magnaflow tru X muffler which worked well for a member here.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:32 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hi,If you want to,I can try to help you with my info because I went through the stages with my 18g set-up, PM me and I will give you my contact info..
Good Luck..

Old 12-20-2012, 12:12 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
You may want to consider adding an intake and intercoolers/ hoses to the list

I did a similar upgrade last winter. If you are doing the work yourself for the first time you may want to read thought this post for some ideas

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...bolt-mods.html

Good luck

Old 12-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
i set mine up for future k24/18g upgrade.
contact john @ speedtech
i purchased the oem modded intake distributor and 70mm hard lines, y pipe and silicone hoses, 72 lb injectors, 3.8 fpr, ams 1 bar wastegates, epl flash. im building a set 4.5" i/c from the 02turbo996 build thread.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:19 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Wish I would have done the intake piping.

http://uspmotorsports.com/product_in...roducts_id=635

Old 12-20-2012, 02:21 PM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
If you are looking for diverter valves, I have a set that I bought from Titan Motorsport and ended up not using . I'll sell it for what I paid for it
PM me for more info

Old 12-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JSBear
Wish I would have done the intake piping.

http://uspmotorsports.com/product_in...roducts_id=635
careful what you wish for!! i ordered mine for speedtech and im here to tell everyone with the motor in the car this is a major BIATCH!!! it took me about 2 days to finally get this thing out of the car. i will be reinstalling the new parts this weekend and pray it goes back in easier than it came out.
if you have the motor out do it then!!!

Old 12-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
careful what you wish for!! i ordered mine for speedtech and im here to tell everyone with the motor in the car this is a major BIATCH!!! it took me about 2 days to finally get this thing out of the car. i will be reinstalling the new parts this weekend and pray it goes back in easier than it came out.
if you have the motor out do it then!!!
Here's a picture of Steve's upgrades laid out prior to shipping. I love the looks of his speed yellow Y-Pipe!

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 12-20-2012, 05:24 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Here's a picture of Steve's upgrades laid out prior to shipping. I love the looks of his speed yellow Y-Pipe!

Nice Package..

Old 12-20-2012, 05:29 PM
i set mine up for future k24/18g upgrade.
contact john @ speedtech
i purchased the oem modded intake distributor and 70mm hard lines, y pipe and silicone hoses, 72 lb injectors, 3.8 fpr, ams 1 bar wastegates, epl flash. im building a set 4.5" i/c from the 02turbo996 build thread.
I am suprised Tony didnt have you go to K24/20s with all those mods that you are doing at once??
Atleast you are going to get it over with all at one time. ..You will save time and money doing it this way..

Old 12-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnspeed
I am suprised Tony didnt have you go to K24/20s with all those mods that you are doing at once??
Atleast you are going to get it over with all at one time. ..You will save time and money doing it this way..
Yea, Steve has 4.5" intercoolers with 2.5" end tanks, too!

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 12-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Banned
he wanted to.actually john and i discussed it and feel the lag on the 20's may not work for me. seems better spool on the 18's but i declined for now.( hence the interest in yours!) want to see if i can squeeze 600 rwhp or get close before swapping the turbos. hopefully the wallet will have cooled down by then!

Last edited by 32krazy!; 12-20-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:00 PM
he wanted to.actually john and i discussed it and feel the lag on the 20's may not work for me. seems better spool on the 18's but i declined for now.( hence the interest in yours!) want to see if i can squeeze 600 rwhp or get close before swapping the turbos. hopefully the wallet will have cooled down by then!
If you can squeeze 600 HP out with just K24s that would be fantastic,,thats what I did on a rear wheel Dyno Jet but with my 18gs..lol..
Good Luck,,hope you can..

Old 12-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Banned
If you can squeeze 600 HP out with just K24s that would be fantastic,,thats what I did on a rear wheel Dyno Jet but with my 18gs..lol..
Good Luck,,hope you can..
dont know if i can to be honest. i have 490 rwhp and 502 ft/bs torque so im optimistic. if i can get close then ill upgrade the turbos next yr.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:16 PM
dont know if i can to be honest. i have 490 rwhp and 502 ft/bs torque so im optimistic. if i can get close then ill upgrade the turbos next yr.
I hope you do it,you would be the first I know of ..Tony,EPL,will get all the peak HP out of it he can..
IF I was to guess with all those mods and you would be 1.2 bars to 1.3 bars(pump gas],I would think about 540 on rear wheel dyno..
Hope I am wrong for you sake..lol.
Again, Good Luck..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Getting started on my 18G conversion, anything I'll need?