996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

997.2 IC's or more expensive ones?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 12:00 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
997.2 IC's or more expensive ones?

for the cost of $1025 at suncoast for 997.2 IC's, and markski's just a G more, what's the true story here.. are the more expensive ones really going to help me at 525-550 whp? i will never change the turbos, so what should i do.. its not the money, its the performance for what i have. keep this post on task! LOL

Old 12-29-2012, 12:27 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI Mike,, Do youself a favor and check out the price at SunSet Porsche,you might be suprised..
Also, those do work very well for the price as compared to what you have and depending on your future mods..
Markski's stuff is nice though..
Good Luck

Old 12-29-2012, 01:57 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
If you plan on keeping the car for a while you may want to make the investment. I always buy the highest quality stuff that is available. Markski's intercoolers are a very well thought out work of art.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:04 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TurboTodd
If you plan on keeping the car for a while you may want to make the investment. I always buy the highest quality stuff that is available. Markski's intercoolers are a very well thought out work of art.

I agree with your philosophy, but in this case, bang for the buck, in my humble opinion you cannot beat the Porsche GT2RS IC's. I think I paid around $500 per for mine. The master race put a lot into them, and the data supports their efficiency. I am sure you have read the test-threads on here by earl. Yes, there are better IC's out there for 5 to 10 times the cost, but I would argue that for our horsepower level, it's a tough sell. There are other companies that sell their IC's for $5000 a piece, and have NO test data to support their efficiency.

Last edited by shtfrbrains; 12-29-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Probably also depends on your application. In my case I'm still using stock K16 Intercooler setup and would like to upgrade but also looking for best bang for buck and bolt on with very limited modification. My use is tracking for 25-30min run sessions.

Do the 997.2 ICs bolt up easy enough or the GT2 versions?

Old 12-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
this is by far the best bang for the buck. it does however require a shop to make them if your not handy with a welder and bending sheetmetal. i was lucky and found the end tanks built , bought them and the cores from bell and had a welder do all the tig welding for me. to date i have right at 1000$ wrapped up in a set of 4.5" i/c https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...offers-em.html

Old 12-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
this has been talked about numerous times.. I think both ICs do well for that HP level... one probably recoups faster due to its lightweight less density core meanwhile the other flows more... Im comparing the 3.5s" ones not the 4.5s... I have a client running k16 billets with the 3.5s and he ran a blistering 5.87 60 to 130... so they do work... but for k24s your fine in my opinion with the gt2rs...
good luck

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 12-30-2012, 12:56 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Expensive = good
More expensive = even better
Porsche OEM = cheap = no good

Old 12-30-2012, 04:10 PM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
I think the GT2RS coolers were overkill on my K16s but probably would have heatsoaked if I ran more boost on my K24/18gs.

They did, however, run cold at VIR when I ran @ 1.0 bar. Even one time at Summit Point it was 104F and they weren't really even warm to the touch. My brakes however.... they didn't fair so well.

My decision came to this: If I planned to run race gas and more boost I was going to get some 4.5s. Since I just ran 1.2bar I wasn't trying to get the last .001% anyways and figured the GT2RS guys were fine.

Henry

Old 01-24-2013, 04:06 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
went with Evolution club sport, fender intake, and y-pipe.. I'm really done now!! yay!

Old 01-24-2013, 04:26 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mod mike
went with Evolution club sport, fender intake, and y-pipe.. I'm really done now!! yay!
LOL..Heard that before...LOL

Old 01-24-2013, 04:30 PM
John, really, I joined a support group!!!! (lmao)

Old 01-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by mod mike
John, really, I joined a support group!!!! (lmao)
If it works for you ,I will join it also...

Old 01-24-2013, 04:39 PM
if i have a relapse it would be some headers.. nothing else to do!!

Old 01-24-2013, 04:57 PM
I think you should forget headers but you addicts are all alike.. LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 IC's or more expensive ones?