996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Who is pushing a substantial amount of power/torque through a 996TT AWD system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Pendl303 has a spectacular aura aboutPendl303 has a spectacular aura about
Hey Steve finally came over to do some research haha

What makes the 997 better at putting more power down at the front if its the same pieces as the 996?

Old 12-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
When I had my 996TT, It was pushing 650BHP and the car had significant suspension work done to it. I converted it to RWD as I did the GT2 front bumper/aero conversion. The difference transformed the car. The steering was so much lighter, the power delivery was amazing, and the car just felt more nimble.

The whole time I had the car in AWD, it never felt "nimble" and steered heavy. It was fast, sure, and I could dial out understeer, but the "feel" was night and day.

Mike

Old 12-30-2012, 08:30 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Thanks for your inputs Engine Guy.

I guess one of the core things I'm trying to answer (based on the experience of others) is what are the physical limitations of the stock system? At what power/torque rating have people truly overwhelmed the 996 based AWD system?
Craig (his 6sp name also) found this out years ago.

The axles are a problem around 900hp, but I'm pretty sure that the system never crapped out. He had a upgraded 9ff tip trans though...

try searching for posts by "craig"

Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 PM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
Im AWD with stock axles.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Pendl303
Hey Steve finally came over to do some research haha

What makes the 997 better at putting more power down at the front if its the same pieces as the 996?

997's unit has a clutch in it the is controlled electronically. Really puts power down not a guess.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:41 PM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Engine Guy
OH I can not leave this one alone, The AWD in my opinion is a good thing, not to invasive and with my suspension set up I can taylor under and over steer any way I want.

But I have a different view of the PSM. The PSM on a 996 sucks beyond words. For aggressive driving it chops power at the absolute wost time possible; and with my modified suspension it cycles in ABS at very in-opportune times too. unless I am just going on a slow milk run the very first ting I do is turn it off; when I drive really hard I would just as soon disconnect it 100%.

In short, unless I was making enough power that I worried about breaking the front drive-line I would rather have it. As per the ABS, I just do not get how some of you say that it is not a hinderance and that it actually does you more good then harm.
I agree that the car is much faster with it off on the track, if you forget to turn it off, you are reminded real quick that something is wrong
If mine was my track weapon all the time, I would convert it to RWD for sure but for a daily driver and the few times I've been caught in the snow it seems to work fairly well, I've have a UMW stage 2A never had it dyno'd, so I don't know HP

Last edited by z06801; 12-30-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jags911tt
Im AWD with stock axles.
I wonder how much power you really put to the front. I cut my viscus coupling open. it was like 25-30 plates, like motorcycle discs but very thin. there was no friction material on them. there was no pre loading springs or anything that added pressure to the stack. I was told that the oil is the key, as it heats up it gets thicker that gives more resistance on the discs and makes it harder for them to slip. Its a sealed unit and when I cut it open on my lathe boy did that oil stink!!!

Old 12-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by z06801
I agree that the car is much fastest with it off on the track, if you forget to turn it off, you are reminded real quick that something is wrong
If mine was my track weapon all the time, I would convert it to RWD for sure but for a daily driver and the few times I've been caught in the snow it seems to work fairly well, I've have a UMW stage 2A never had it dyno'd, so I don't know HP
PSM is never fully off unless you unplug the pre charge pump.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Steve, Adding camber greatly reduces the amount of useful tire that is in contact with the ground going forward. It how ever does do wonders for turning grip. So guys who run a GT2 alignment with rear wheel drive and no lsd on the track or aggressive street driving, not straight line stuff will say the car just blows the tires.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:41 AM
San Diego 996tt is infamous around these parts
I have only had my 996tt for a few months, but have had it out on the track 6 times. It is the first awd track car I've had, and I bought it as a daily driver/backup track car. I was surprised and impressed with the turn-in and cornering on what I expected to be a heavy feeling car. Others who are experienced with 996tt's and have driven it attribute this to the suspension setup, which was done by GMG. I am used to much lighter cars on the track, but I like the feel of the awd system, and it doesn't feel heavy to me. There are a few corners that it really helps pull through, and this car keeps pace with much lighter cars through the turns. I can and do throttle steer in most situations much like my rwd cars.

I may look into it at some point if I really want to lighten the car, but for now I really like the awd system on track. BTW, I used the PSM for one session on track, and never again! I thought I would have swapped ends by now without it, but even at an aggressive pace this car is very forgiving.

I have not driven newer awd systems on track, so my perspective is limited. But my impression so far is that the 996 awd system works very well with a good suspension setup.

I am having bigger Tial turbos installed, with supporting mods, with hopes of ~600 whp. I plan on tracking it this way for a while.

Last edited by San Diego 996tt; 12-31-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:43 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
I run 600whp AWD... 18' Toyo R888's... I chirp 2nd & 3rd gear, I am never at a loss for traction outside 1st gear.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:00 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
When I had my 996TT, It was pushing 650BHP and the car had significant suspension work done to it. I converted it to RWD as I did the GT2 front bumper/aero conversion. The difference transformed the car. The steering was so much lighter, the power delivery was amazing, and the car just felt more nimble.

The whole time I had the car in AWD, it never felt "nimble" and steered heavy. It was fast, sure, and I could dial out understeer, but the "feel" was night and day.

Mike
Mike, I have to admit that the steering feel improvement is something that I would really like to try. As I don't have ready access to a GT2 I think the only way I'm going to get to experience it is if I convert my own car to RWD.

Originally Posted by ttpopo
Craig (his 6sp name also) found this out years ago.

The axles are a problem around 900hp, but I'm pretty sure that the system never crapped out. He had a upgraded 9ff tip trans though...

try searching for posts by "craig"
Thanks for more good information ttpopo...appreciate it.

Originally Posted by jags911tt
Im AWD with stock axles.
Jag,

Having seen your car in person and being local to you, I should pick your brain a lot more about this point. Clearly your car has enough power to overwhelm the stock system (if any can) so I'm really keen to hear how your traction is when you're really laying into the throttle with big boost. Your input would be very worthwhile since I'm not planning to get anywhere near the level of power you are making.

Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Steve, Adding camber greatly reduces the amount of useful tire that is in contact with the ground going forward. It how ever does do wonders for turning grip. So guys who run a GT2 alignment with rear wheel drive and no lsd on the track or aggressive street driving, not straight line stuff will say the car just blows the tires.
Thanks Tim...that makes a lot of sense. So, effectively you're saying that even when I lower the car it would be smart to stick to a 996TT alignment, rather than going to the more aggressive GT2 alignment (for straight line traction, that is). Right?

Originally Posted by San Diego 996tt
I have only had my 996tt for a few months, but have had it out on the track 6 times. It is the first awd track car I've had, and I bought it as a daily driver/backup track car. I was surprised and impressed with the turn-in and cornering on what I expected to be a heavy feeling car. Others who are experienced with 996tt's and have driven it attribute this to the suspension setup, which was done by GMG. I am used to much lighter cars on the track, but I like the feel of the awd system, and it doesn't feel heavy to me. There are a few corners that it really helps pull through, and this car keeps pace with much lighter cars through the turns. I can and do throttle steer in most situations much like my rwd cars.

I may look into it at some point if I really want to lighten the car, but for now I really like the awd system on track. BTW, I used the PSM for one session on track, and never again! I thought I would have swapped ends by now without it, but even at an aggressive pace this car is very forgiving.

I have not driven newer awd systems on track, so my perspective is limited. But my impression so far is that the 996 awd system works very well with a good suspension setup.

I am having bigger Tial turbos installed, with supporting mods, with hopes of ~600 whp. I plan on tracking it this way for a while.
Great feedback, thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

Originally Posted by LiNks
I run 600whp AWD... 18' Toyo R888's... I chirp 2nd & 3rd gear, I am never at a loss for traction outside 1st gear.
LiNks, I'm most likely to build my car to about the power level you're at, so definitely appreciate this information. I will probably end up in the low 600 whp plan if I can follow my current mod ambitions. Thanks again!

Old 12-31-2012, 06:18 PM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
Steve

Anytime. Call me at 253 332 4879.

Jag

Old 12-31-2012, 07:28 PM
jonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to all
I run RWD with a Wavetrac diff on a k16 billet car @ 1.4 bar with EBC 4.5" intercoolers, fueling mods and Aquamist HSF4 system and a bunch of other suspension and engine mods around 580-600WHP . I went to RWD drive out of a whim to try it out and will never go back. The cars steering is light and with the LSD and GT2 slave mods the car is just a blast to drive (predictable and a proper 911) . I came from a 964 Turbo and the car now just feels like a 911 should to me.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:44 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
my research found this. those that are long time porsche owners and road race want rwd so they have the feel and expectations of the porsches they owned before with the power of todays cars. drag racers want rwd for weight savings and ability to run drag radials in the size they want without fear of trashing the front diff.
this is my first awd car. when i ran the twistys it made me "feel" like a better driver than i really was.( im by no means any kind of road racer) i went rwd for a simple silly reason. it was FREE! i wanted to try modding this car on my own and with the diy and the help of the forum i tackled the job. now the car feels lighter in front, more nimble when i turn in and i can do a small burnout at the track to clean the tires off.
it was a worthwile mod for me and of course i can go back with a couple hrs work

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who is pushing a substantial amount of power/torque through a 996TT AWD system?