996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Who is pushing a substantial amount of power/torque through a 996TT AWD system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jags911tt
Steve

Anytime. Call me at 253 332 4879.

Jag
Hey Jag,

That would officially be our first phone call when we didn't discuss 'legal matters'. I look forward to it and will take you up on that offer.

Originally Posted by jonty
I run RWD with a Wavetrac diff on a k16 billet car @ 1.4 bar with EBC 4.5" intercoolers, fueling mods and Aquamist HSF4 system and a bunch of other suspension and engine mods around 580-600WHP . I went to RWD drive out of a whim to try it out and will never go back. The cars steering is light and with the LSD and GT2 slave mods the car is just a blast to drive (predictable and a proper 911) . I came from a 964 Turbo and the car now just feels like a 911 should to me.
jonty,

I have a feeling I'll appreciate it for the same reason you did, and the modification path I have in mind actually looks a LOT like what you just described. So, I'm sure I'd enjoy it too.

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
my research found this. those that are long time porsche owners and road race want rwd so they have the feel and expectations of the porsches they owned before with the power of todays cars. drag racers want rwd for weight savings and ability to run drag radials in the size they want without fear of trashing the front diff.
this is my first awd car. when i ran the twistys it made me "feel" like a better driver than i really was.( im by no means any kind of road racer) i went rwd for a simple silly reason. it was FREE! i wanted to try modding this car on my own and with the diy and the help of the forum i tackled the job. now the car feels lighter in front, more nimble when i turn in and i can do a small burnout at the track to clean the tires off.
it was a worthwile mod for me and of course i can go back with a couple hrs work
32krazy!,

Although I do enjoy the twisties I generally treat my car more as a point and shoot vehicle anymore, and do appreciate a good straightline blast down the road. I hear you about free mods since nearly all my weight reduction mods so far have been free. I'm stockpiling small mods already for my effort to add more power in 2013. Thanks for your input!

Old 12-31-2012, 08:39 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
as most every one will tell you going rwd should include a lsd which also warrents a cooler. saving for mine as we speak. carbonetics and wavetrac are at the top of my list. no real need for the full lockup on decel so they are priced right for my power and needs

Old 01-01-2013, 12:02 AM
Basic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
as most every one will tell you going rwd should include a lsd which also warrents a cooler. saving for mine as we speak. carbonetics and wavetrac are at the top of my list. no real need for the full lockup on decel so they are priced right for my power and needs
if you run a torsen differential you won't need a cooler, only needed with the clutch type and then only if you're on the road course.

OP before going rwd install an LSD and see what you think, makes a massive difference. PSM on these cars is very good, problems can come when driving less then smoothly. The traction control portion is an issue on the race track as it will come on during hard cornering while accelerating. With a LSD it becomes hardly an issue and only kicks in when it's truly needed.

This topic has been beat to death and everyone has a different take on it, for me I'll stay awd with the lsd

Old 01-01-2013, 01:14 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Thank you Basic...sounds like some good advice to take under advisement!

Happy New Year all.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Basic
if you run a torsen differential you won't need a cooler, only needed with the clutch type and then only if you're on the road course.

OP before going rwd install an LSD and see what you think, makes a massive difference. PSM on these cars is very good, problems can come when driving less then smoothly. The traction control portion is an issue on the race track as it will come on during hard cornering while accelerating. With a LSD it becomes hardly an issue and only kicks in when it's truly needed.

This topic has been beat to death and everyone has a different take on it, for me I'll stay awd with the lsd
When you break a axle with a torque bias diff you will be put into a spin. the one wheel will still drive.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Basic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
When you break a axle with a torque bias diff you will be put into a spin. the one wheel will still drive.
Maybe, maybe not. Not a concern if awd remains and even less of an issue with psm on.