996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Winter tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 07:05 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Winter tires?

Who makes the best winter tires that still peform well in the dry? I am looking at the Dunlop Winter Sport 03? Any others better?

Old 10-28-2003, 08:37 AM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Basically it comes down to how much snow capability you want.

I run Blizzak LM-22 on my SLK32 in the winter. They turn a horrible winter performer into a champ. The LM-22s have decent dry and excellent wet capabilities.

There is always going to be a trade off. The better the snow ability the worse the dry abililty. It is all in the compound.

For ultimate snow traction, the blizzaks are the best and the LM-22 is not their best snow tire (there are others that are better in the snow but they ride bad in the dry). I find the LM-22 a decent dry tire but an excellent snow tire.

If you want more dry ability, the dunlop may be better, but its snow ability won't match the blizzaks.

Last edited by Periokid; 10-28-2003 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:55 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Do a tire rack search for all winter/all season tires and try to get the best combo of traction vs the speed rating tradeoff. I imagine that you don't want to be limited to 90 mph when the roads are dry...

ot: hey it's my 200th post...Happy Bicentennial to myself

Old 10-28-2003, 12:28 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Buddy, i have used the Pirelli 240's, Blizzak LM 22 and the Dunlop Winter Sport M2's. All were on BMW's not sure what application you are looking at, I assum TT. Anyway, the Pirelli's were pretty ****ty, didn't like them that much in or out of snow. There is a trade-off, but, I felt like with the Pirelli's you gave up more dry performance for not much snow performance. The LM22's were great, but not as good as the Dunlops. The LM22 were great in the snow and pretty good in the dry. The Dunlops, were pretty good in snow and great(for a snow tire) in the dry. Our streets are plowed after an hour, so I prefer really good dry traction and adequate snow traction. Of note, the Dunlop's were the widest of the tires I used, they were on the M5, and were 245/45 all around. The widest tire should have performed the worst in the snow, but, I was impressed at how well it drove. The Pirelli's and Blizzak's were much more narrow and 17"ers on dedicated snow wheels. I would suggested the Dunlops. Also, they have a high speed rating. I think the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's have a lower speed rating than the M2's which would probably make them slightly better in the snow but worse for drive traction than the M2's

-Lou

Old 12-05-2003, 08:05 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Will any of the snow tires out there fit the stock turbo wheels? I need to get some traction on this baby!

I believe someone had said that 265s will fit the rear without any problems. Can someone confirm?

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Banned
MTBR is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by BCS996TT
Will any of the snow tires out there fit the stock turbo wheels? I need to get some traction on this baby!

I believe someone had said that 265s will fit the rear without any problems. Can someone confirm?

Thanks!
Stock Turbo rear wheels are 11", the smallest you can stretch on that wheel is a 275 tire.

If you are looking to maintain the stock look, Porsche offers an identical looking solid spoke set that incorporates 10" rear wheels. Match them up with Dunlop Winter Sport M2s and your Turbo becomes a snow mobile.

Wheel Enhancement/Gert/Foreign Affairs and others can you get the set with tires for ~3K

Old 12-05-2003, 08:22 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Thanks Dan....

I was hoping to use my stock turbo wheels (sitting in the garage collecting dust) with winter tires.

Guess that's just not possible now!

Might have to just get a cheap set of decent looking 18s with some good snow tires. I need to do the same for the cayenne!

Any suggestions on wheels?

Old 12-05-2003, 11:07 PM
Banned
TireRack sells a generic set that looks identical to the 993 Turbo rims. The package should be pretty cheap, under 2K with tires.

Old 12-06-2003, 05:40 AM
drbill is infamous around these parts
Re: Winter tires?

Originally posted by buddyg
Who makes the best winter tires that still peform well in the dry? I am looking at the Dunlop Winter Sport 03? Any others better?

i have a brand new set of winter wheels and Dunlop winters tires for sale-barely used email me at Lisabill1@AOL.COM

Old 12-06-2003, 10:05 AM
shrews is infamous around these parts
I have a set of michelin pilot alpines mounted on my stock rims (02 c4s.) 265's on the rear's, 18x11, seem to be working fine. The tire is technically rated to a max 10.5 rear width so you just have to be careful not to get on it going around any tight curves so as not to over stress the sidewalls.

Old 12-06-2003, 10:11 AM
Banned
Originally posted by shrews
The tire is technically rated to a max 10.5 rear width so you just have to be careful not to get on it going around any tight curves so as not to over stress the sidewalls.
You are taking a big chance stretching that tire...