996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Removing parts for welded coolant fittings.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 03:14 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
OK cool. I might as well do the water pump also. Thanks for the info everyone. I will work on this tonight.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:30 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Got some work done. Took off most of the top hoses and the air pump. Doing a lot of labeling and picture taking. What a mess of hoses this thing is. I found one plastic hose that was a little worn from rubbing. I see what you mean by replacing some of the hoses. I'll tackle the PS pump tomorrow. I'm going to take my time with this, it isn't much fun.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:03 PM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
Got some work done. Took off most of the top hoses and the air pump. Doing a lot of labeling and picture taking. What a mess of hoses this thing is. I found one plastic hose that was a little worn from rubbing. I see what you mean by replacing some of the hoses. I'll tackle the PS pump tomorrow. I'm going to take my time with this, it isn't much fun.
I need to get mine done as well! There is a shop in SLC that can do it if you don't want to tackle it yourself!

Old 01-10-2013, 01:15 AM
code7rpd has a spectacular aura aboutcode7rpd has a spectacular aura about
Keep us posted on how it goes. Did you drop the motor.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Basic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant future
I did mine without removing the engine, not the easiest job but neither is removing the engine without the proper facilities.

I replaced every radiator hose(there are tons of them) on the car and cleaned out the radiators while I was at it, as well as all of the seals and o-rings involved with anything I took apart. I didn't touch the water pump or t-stat, if I was to do it again I would for sure replace them. They are hard to get to and requires significant coolant to be replaced.

If you don't track the car I'd wait until a clutch service or some other reason that the engine had to come out to do this work. I don't think it's as common a problem as the internet makes it out to be. Also ensure you remove and clean out the radiator mine where jammed full of road debris.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 PM
I have my engine out. Took a few things off today. Taking my time and labeling every hose and writing down every detail. There are so many hoses and sensor plugs, I'd never remember what went where. Took off the alternator, air pump, throttle body, AC pump, and PS res tank. This is not fun!

Old 01-10-2013, 11:13 PM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
I have my engine out. Took a few things off today. Taking my time and labeling every hose and writing down every detail. There are so many hoses and sensor plugs, I'd never remember what went where. Took off the alternator, air pump, throttle body, AC pump, and PS res tank. This is not fun!
Sounds like a big job! I would like to come check out your car sometime but won't be back in Boise until mid February! Hope all goes well!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:48 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
With the repair manual and the parts catalog you will be fine. All the information you need for rebuild is there. Of course taking pictures is a very good help also and some of us can help you also. Keep the faith

Old 01-11-2013, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by jpflip
With the repair manual and the parts catalog you will be fine. All the information you need for rebuild is there. Of course taking pictures is a very good help also and some of us can help you also. Keep the faith
I was about to start a thread asking about that. Where might I find these manuals? Do they have torque specs also? Thanks.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by machinegunt
Sounds like a big job! I would like to come check out your car sometime but won't be back in Boise until mid February! Hope all goes well!
We'll have to meet up sometime. Hopefully by the time you get back I'll be pretty far along on my project. Still shopping around for parts and seeing what I can get second hand.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:01 AM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
a competent welder is definitely #1.. Even with pressure in system the pinholes in welds wont show a leak until it reaches temperature.. Trust me i have seen a tiny tiny pin hole in a weld i pumped full of air with 30+psi and not a drop of coolant came out overnight but once motor was running it seeped.. luckily it was an easy one to access and repair with just alternator out..

Old 01-12-2013, 02:38 AM
Thanks, I got my kit from you guys 2 weeks ago. I'm planning on going to a high end racecar builder to do the welding. I'll explain the situation to him fully and pressure test. I'm also thinking about coating the welds with JB weld once they are done. If there are any leaks, that stuff will keep it plugged. It's really amazing stuff.

Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
a competent welder is definitely #1.. Even with pressure in system the pinholes in welds wont show a leak until it reaches temperature.. Trust me i have seen a tiny tiny pin hole in a weld i pumped full of air with 30+psi and not a drop of coolant came out overnight but once motor was running it seeped.. luckily it was an easy one to access and repair with just alternator out..

Old 01-12-2013, 05:00 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
I was about to start a thread asking about that. Where might I find these manuals? Do they have torque specs also? Thanks.

I am surprise! You don't have the repair manual??? Yes, you will found all the torque specifications and also some drawing of the sense lines routing.... You will get it here from $manager: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...p-manuals.html

Old 01-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Ok, have not been working on this much lately because of the miserable cold temps, but I got the coolant parts off. Working on pulling the tubes out and will be off to the welder early next week. Cant wait to get this done, still not having much fun!

Old 01-26-2013, 10:46 AM
MikeG is infamous around these parts
Who are you using for the welding?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Removing parts for welded coolant fittings.