996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Removing parts for welded coolant fittings.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 06:59 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Removing parts for welded coolant fittings.

So in order to get the welding done, I assume I will have to take off the alternator and the water pump? Does the manifold have to come off as well? Any DIY threads? Thanks.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Big job. Just FYI I have all 4 fittings because I replaced and welded all of them for a customer. Now I have cores if you are interested for exchange welded.

Sam

Old 01-08-2013, 07:52 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I have 8 fittings in my kit.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
4-parts total that the fittings go into plus some small ones.
- under ps pump pulley
- back of engine
- top of motor under oil cooler
- another small one on top

Old 01-08-2013, 09:45 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
So in order to get the welding done, I assume I will have to take off the alternator and the water pump? Does the manifold have to come off as well? Any DIY threads? Thanks.
As you see in the picture below, you pretty much have to remove everything to weld all 8 fittings. Pretty big job....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87731073@N06/8363816962/http://www.flickr.com/photos/87731073@N06/8363816962/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/87731073@N06/, on Flickr

Old 01-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Oh wow, that looks like a 12 pack job for sure. I wish there was a list of any gaskets I'll need. I hate waiting on parts.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:14 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
motor needs to come out.. the water pump housing which also houses the turbo oil scavenge pump. you need to remove the engine plate to get to it.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:29 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Intake manifold has to come off for the two fittings on the oil cooler. Take a look here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ts-needed.html

Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Wow that thread has me feeling a little bit intimidated. What would you estimate the total cost of the seals and gaskets to be? Maybe I should pin!

Old 01-09-2013, 10:56 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Regardless pin or weld you have to retrieve the parts off the motor.
I'm using the fingers crossed method. So far so good.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:22 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gearhead
Regardless pin or weld you have to retrieve the parts off the motor.
I'm using the fingers crossed method. So far so good.
There is a thread on rennlist showing how to pin the pipes with the engine in the car. I'd still be worried about the shavings, but the DIY posted looked promising.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/679277-diy-coolant-fitting-fix-with-motor-in-the-car.html

Last edited by bbywu; 01-09-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:50 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
There is a thread on rennlist showing how to pin the pipes with the engine in the car. I'd still be worried about the shavings, but the DIY posted looked promising.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...n-the-car.html
Don't know why but its a lot harder to access the pipes on the 996TT motor than on the 997 GT3. The DIY will not work for the 996TT motor. Don't know why.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 01-09-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:12 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Wow that thread has me feeling a little bit intimidated. What would you estimate the total cost of the seals and gaskets to be? Maybe I should pin!
First ,the hardest part for me was to found a good welder. It is not an easy welding job and be sure you do a leak check with air before reinstalling the engine. One part went to the welder three times before I got a complete system without leakage.

I did not reinstalled any used o-rings or rubber pipes. All the fittings or housings were reinstalled with new o-rings.

I also had to replace the water pump (one impeller was broken), the oil line from turbos to scavenge pumps (lines seized), thermostat housing (drop on the floor and it broke).

It is difficult for me to tell you exactly the cost of this job but I can tell you with all the misfortune I had and including the new rubber hoses (8), clamps, clips, tie wraps, thermostat, water pump, turbo oil lines, I have bills for a total of $1600.00.

It was a fantastic experience, I was able to secure a lot of lines that were chafing, repair one electrical wire that was damaged and of course you learn a lot about your car and engine.

Last edited by jpflip; 01-09-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:49 PM
I just need the seals, I think my hoses are fine. I assume that they are not reusable?

Old 01-09-2013, 03:05 PM
I just need the seals, I think my hoses are fine. I assume that they are not reusable?
Most of the seals looks in good shape but did not took the chance of reusing them.....Seals only, less than $150.00 but this is if nothing goes wrong....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Removing parts for welded coolant fittings.