996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New ride ,2002 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:44 PM
ejaahm is infamous around these parts
New ride ,2002 996TT

Hello everyone,
Finally a long cherished dream came true, pulled trigger for a 2002 996TT. She is gorgeous, sexy with excellent curves. One owner, ~18K original miles, full stock. Not so many options except full leather interior. This is my 1st Porsche....what a car!! love the ride.

Question for the gurus:
1. Having problem while putting gas in. The gas nozzle seems to be very sensitive, shutting off too many time while putting gas in. Does certain angle works better?

2. Passenger side Spoiler rim leaking ;-( searched the forum, will give a try with Lucus Stop leak.

3. Is there any race track close to San Diego? Can't resist to check what this car is capable of doing :-)

Thanks every one. Here is the pic of my new ride....

Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2013, 09:55 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Turn to the pump 45 degrees to the left

Old 01-11-2013, 09:58 PM
thomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of light
Congrats!
I usually fill with the pump handle upside down.
AND - pay attention - when the pump shuts off, do not try to pump any more into the tank...it will spill out.

Enjoy the ride

Old 01-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Congrats! Welcome to the forum and Porsche community!

I don't believe anyone's gas filling techniques! I've battled this monster 6 years now and I swear every time I think I found a method it backfires! LOL!!!

Honestly though usually the tilt or upside down works, but make sure you don't keep pumping because they will spit fuel back on ya. Done way way to many times.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Former Vendor
FluidMotorUnion has a spectacular aura aboutFluidMotorUnion has a spectacular aura about
Congrats on the purchase! Looks like a beautiful car!

Old 01-11-2013, 10:46 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Too funny, I remember my first fill-up and had the same problems you're reporting. Had to turn to 6Speed for relief, and have been turning back here ever since!

Congratulations on your low mileage 996TT! I'm sure you'll be enjoying her for many years to come.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:30 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI, Congrats,,Welcome and Enjoy your car and this site..

Old 01-12-2013, 08:49 AM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Congrats and welcome!

Any plans for her?

Old 01-12-2013, 08:49 AM
scsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ejaahm
Hello everyone,
Finally a long cherished dream came true, pulled trigger for a 2002 996TT. She is gorgeous, sexy with excellent curves. One owner, ~18K original miles, full stock. Not so many options except full leather interior. This is my 1st Porsche....what a car!! love the ride.

Question for the gurus:
1. Having problem while putting gas in. The gas nozzle seems to be very sensitive, shutting off too many time while putting gas in. Does certain angle works better?

2. Passenger side Spoiler rim leaking ;-( searched the forum, will give a try with Lucus Stop leak.

3. Is there any race track close to San Diego? Can't resist to check what this car is capable of doing :-)

Congrats! Button willow, willow springs and chuckwalla are the three closest tracks to you. Enjoy!

Old 01-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ejaahm
Hello everyone,

Question for the gurus:

Based on my experience with my 03 Turbo a nearly upside down gas nozzle eliminates the tendency for the nozzle auto shutoff to shut off prematurely. I have found too the shutoff is very consistent so the fuel mileage numbers are not affected by inconsistent "fill ups".

Note if this nearly upside down gas nozzle technique doesn't work for your car and you try several different pump nozzles at the same station and at different stations (run top tier gas and buy from a busy station!) then there's something wrong and this needs looking into.

Not sure to what you are referring to regarding the passenger side spoiler rim leaking.

Regardless, any fluid leak needs attention. If it is coolant this needs to be found and fixed. The cooling system is critical to the continued good health of the engine. A system that leaks can't hold pressure and this means the coolant can flash to steam and create/contribute to localized overheating with disasterous results. Price a replacement Turbo engine for incentive to get this dealt with promptly. Oh, Lucas Stop Leak is for water cooled farm tractors not Porsche Turbos.

Can't help you with tracks in your area.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:19 AM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
I think he means passenger side spoiler ram - just like yours, Macster. Do a search for leaky spoilers and you'll find plenty.

Also - I always fill up with the pump handle upside down and never have any problems.

Congrats on realizing your dream and welcome!

Old 01-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I suspect he meant 'passenger side spoiler hydraulic ram leaking'. There are quite a few articles available here on 6Speed about ways to limp that system along, or there are several solutions available now to completely disable/remove it (if that is what you choose).

Old 01-12-2013, 01:48 PM
996rex is a jewel in the rough996rex is a jewel in the rough996rex is a jewel in the rough
Looks good...I only had the gas pumping problem once and it happened after I disconnected the batteryIt was pretty annoying but yeah had to tilt the pump

Old 01-12-2013, 08:58 PM
silverbullet996TT is infamous around these parts
The porsche club has autocross @ qualcom, willow springs, palm desert. Hit me up and we can do a mnt run, up through highland valley to mesa grande to palamar. I'm in san diego.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:59 PM
silverbullet996TT is infamous around these parts
What they said on the fuel fill too, I have the same issue.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New ride ,2002 996TT