996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT Coilover Help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 04:25 PM
KD Tha Greta is infamous around these parts
Angry 996TT Coilover Help!!

I put some H&R coilovers on my 02' 996TT a while back, they've since failed. I installed a speaker box which made the car a little heavier in the back. I chose the H&R's because having the adjustability to keep the car looking even was important but was probably a factor in them failing.
Put in a call to H&R and they do not re-build them. Also called Bilstein and they could do a re-build but the turnaround time was a couple of months.
I'm debating to either get new shocks and lowering springs or going with some low end coilovers like the D2's, BC Racing or KSports. I only drive on LA streets (a bit bumpy at times) and have no intention on driving on the track.
If money weren't an option I would go ahead and get the PSS9's or PSS10's, but $3K+ for the type of driving I do seems a bit unnecessary especially when I plan to sell the car within the next 6 months.
I understand these entry level products aren't as good as the Bilsteins or KW's, but I need some opinions on what the pros and cons on these. Also are they a major difference between them and the H&R's?

-KD

Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 PM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Stock kit with Eibach springs!

Old 01-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Another P has a spectacular aura aboutAnother P has a spectacular aura about
Sorry for your dilemma. Not fun. Consider this. It's entirely likely that the new buyer 6 months from now will also take note that you have installed a low end (read budget) coilover. As a buyer, I might raise a red flag, and wonder what else was done in a budget mindset. Not telling you to go buy a high end suspension, but fixing what you have or finding a decent used coilover set may be best. You are already going to spend around $1000 to just do an r&r, plus alignment, so consider that a few extra $ may help close a deal easier down the road.
My thought..l.better to do less with a decent brand or even go back to stock parts than go "downtown" and waste money.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 PM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
Slap some H&Rs on the stock shocks they always get good reviews. The guys who would look down on that are buying cars from dealerships and over paying anyway, so they won't even see your car .

Just keep receipts and stock parts, anybody will understand when you talk to them and provide the paperwork.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I was going to put the car back to stock before I sold it so I wouldn't have any issues. Being with that said you all have helped me in making the decision in going with the stock shocks and lowering springs for now.

Thanks all......

-KD

Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
PSi rebuilds bilstein dampeners like what the H&R shocks use. The H&R entry level coilover is identical to the older PSS9 setup. You might want to give PSi a call.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by VAGscum
PSi rebuilds bilstein dampeners like what the H&R shocks use. The H&R entry level coilover is identical to the older PSS9 setup. You might want to give PSi a call.
Thanks VAG, I'll give them a call.