996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Any real world experience with built engine A28s ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 PM
layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !
Any real world experience with built engine A28s ?

I'm shipping the car to 911 Tuning ( Markski) and he's gonna do a built engine
turbo intake piping, x design cat-less 3in race exhaust. The car has coilovers
sport struts, adjustable rca's and lowered/ bump steered. The car is 340lb
lighter than stock with full interior, bluetooth, upgraded stereo etc..

Previous turbos were 16gs. With key supporting mods, light weight and
tune by Marksi the car was very quick and pulled a record breaking 5.87
60-130 at 1.5 bar.

I've been scouring the internet and 6speed but find very little info on
the A28 setup. There's the infamous highway pull with a white gt2 rs
and the same guy did a build thread. Then of course there's mike
Bailey and his 5.4s 60-130 and his various comments about his setup.
Mike seems mostly happy as did the other fellow, I think his handle
is alphadog28. I'm just looking for guys that have or have had this
setup. Any feedback will be appreciated

Old 01-14-2013, 07:24 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
I believe you went on Markskis reputation for that choice?
BUT you could also call Todd at Protomotive in which he has built and tuned every combo known..

Old 01-14-2013, 07:44 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Since I have known Mark I heave to say he is a straight shooter and if he tells you you do this and you get that. He is always right!
I can't say this for many others but Mark is spot on. I am sure Mark has tried this combo before.

Good luck with the combo.

Last edited by UrbanHotrod; 01-14-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:57 PM
layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnspeed
I believe you went on Markskis reputation for that choice?
BUT you could also call Todd at Protomotive in which he has built and tuned every combo known..
Well, not only his reputation but my own personal experience. He
put the final touches on my car including a custom tune. The best
60-130 before Markski was a 7.3 and afterwards I got a 5.8 with
consistent low and flat 6s. Not to mention, the car was much
smoother in general.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by PALETTE
Since I have know Mark I heave to say he is a straight shooter and if he tells you you do this and you get that. He is always right!
I can't say this for many others but Mark is spot on. I am sure Mark has tried this combo before.

Good luck with the combo.
Thanks Palette! And yes, he is always right lol! I'm definitely going with
the A28 setup, that's not in question. I'm just looking for some feedback
from guys who have day to day experience with the setup. It seems that
there's tons of information from numerous sources about 18g, 20g, 3071
etc.... and there's very little info on the A28s. Maybe the guys who have
the 28s are too damn busy diving their cars and having a blast to write
about them

Just realized I burglarized this thread, Sorry

Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hi, You asked for feed back and I just was giving you an avenue to someone that does a lot of members cars and some tuners cars.. LOL.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
the guy with the highway pull and the build tread is orbell. cool guy.. Haven't ran with him since his build, but I'm sure its fast.. last time we talked he said he was having a hard time NOT breaking the wheels in 3rd.. you can find him her under his name...

Old 01-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Hi, You asked for feed back and I just was giving you an avenue to someone that does a lot of members cars and some tuners cars.. LOL.
I know John! I've read your post and you are a super nice dude. Mark
actually commented on you being a great guy, said he knows you
somewhat personally.

The problem I have with calling Todd about the setup is that I have
decided to go with Markski and Martin. I know he's a very knowledgable
guy but he is a businessman and I'm not giving him my business. I have
a similar reputation in my business and I don't mind sharing some info
with others with whom I'm not conducting business but I don't give them
the "goods" so to speak and I have to limit freebies. My understanding
is, he's a tech guy primarily and my questions are experiential in nature.
I rarely talk to the tech guys I employ. I usually consult with the managers
concerning the product or function the tech guys have conjured up. Does
it work? Is it efficient? What are the bottom line results?

What's this car like at the track? Howz bout the occasional street brawl. How
do the 28s perform as a daily driver? What are some pitfalls to avoid with
tires, suspension setup etc...

Old 01-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by mod mike
the guy with the highway pull and the build tread is orbell. cool guy.. Haven't ran with him since his build, but I'm sure its fast.. last time we talked he said he was having a hard time NOT breaking the wheels in 3rd.. you can find him her under his name...
Thanks Mike and I've read some of his posts about the car. He's def a
street brawler and he drives the car hard, as it should be. I think he
has a 3.8 if i'm not mistaken. My 16gs broke the wheels in 3rd.
light car and it was making 600 lb torque at the wheels.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 PM
bk doc is infamous around these parts
I contacted Mark as well a couple of years ago. I have a stock motor with all the mods he suggested at the time to accommodate the A28 setup including his IC's and flexible hoses etc. etc. I've had 2 datalog runs with the Protomotive tune and should have more perhaps. Unfortunately, 3rd gear runs means 185-190kms and the places around here to do this are getting very scarce on Vancouver Island. They're really quick to tow your car and take your license away from you for 40km over the posted 80km limit. My experence with this setup is beyond positive. It is lightning fast and yet I use it daily to work and any other excuse I can think of. I have 88,000 Km with no issues added by my upgrade. I also have a CTTS, so I put the911away for some of the wet winter.........but I'm getting itchy to get it out again. I upgraded my very fine Speedtech exhaust for a custom Markski exhaust........NOW the car sounds really exotic. Unfortunately, there's NO chance I'll post any timed runs.....I'm too old for the jail time and the thrill of meeting the man of my dreams just doesn't exist (too homophobic). I hope you're as pleased as I am.....

Old 01-14-2013, 09:46 PM
This is the car

Attached Images    
Old 01-14-2013, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by layinback
This is the car
Very Tuff..
My car is red also and I was thinking to doing something similar,,After / IF I get my Turbo upgrade figured out......Going to 3071s ?

Old 01-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
A28's are my choice of turbo. Anything bigger then you get more drag racer, roll on queen specific power delivery. I am a track and twisties person and the earlier Boost of the A28s are what I go for. IMHO the A28's are the best all around turbo out there; they start getting you into the HP range where you should really be considering a set of Rods and head bolts if you want to push them to there limits.

If you know you are going to want more in the end don't waste you time with that set up. A28's are a baby step better then an all the details taken care of Billet 16 set up. But if you are going from a some what stock set up K16 car to a set of A28's with all the intake piping, exhaust, injectors and the works the differance will be substantial.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by bk doc
I contacted Mark as well a couple of years ago. I have a stock motor with all the mods he suggested at the time to accommodate the A28 setup including his IC's and flexible hoses etc. etc. I've had 2 datalog runs with the Protomotive tune and should have more perhaps. Unfortunately, 3rd gear runs means 185-190kms and the places around here to do this are getting very scarce on Vancouver Island. They're really quick to tow your car and take your license away from you for 40km over the posted 80km limit. My experence with this setup is beyond positive. It is lightning fast and yet I use it daily to work and any other excuse I can think of. I have 88,000 Km with no issues added by my upgrade. I also have a CTTS, so I put the911away for some of the wet winter.........but I'm getting itchy to get it out again. I upgraded my very fine Speedtech exhaust for a custom Markski exhaust........NOW the car sounds really exotic. Unfortunately, there's NO chance I'll post any timed runs.....I'm too old for the jail time and the thrill of meeting the man of my dreams just doesn't exist (too homophobic). I hope you're as pleased as I am.....
Mark will be installing a custom cat-less unit and his flex hoses
along with the build. I spent a week in Chicago a few months back and Mark
installed his ic's, Greddy ebc and 60 lb injectors. In addition, he gave the car
a thorough going over and he topped it off with a custom tune. I swear the
car was a beast when he finished and proved to be the fastest k16 billet
on record.

Thank you for the feedback doc! I'm sorry to hear about all the constraints
in your neck of the woods. I'm down south in Alabama and we'll race riding
lawnmowers if that's all we got. Fast cars and crazy women.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:09 AM
Very Tuff..
My car is red also and I was thinking to doing something similar,,After / IF I get my Turbo upgrade figured out......Going to 3071s ?
I'm stickin with the the A28s. I started gettin a little sideways and Markski
put a boot in my **** and straightened me out.

pm me if you need carbon fiber pieces. Interior or exterior. I have the
hookup locally and it's a fraction of the cost of advertised pieces.
I'll put you in touch with a local master of carbon fiber. He's an old
pall mall smoking round track racer who's in semi retirement. He's
an artistic genius bro. and if you need a wing, I'm sure you know,
Misha or Mashaw.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any real world experience with built engine A28s ?