996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Looking for support in fast turns, GT3 seats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 09:05 AM
unterbergamotte has a spectacular aura aboutunterbergamotte has a spectacular aura about
Looking for support in fast turns, GT3 seats?

Got tired of holding on to the steering wheel in fast turns and want to improve my lap times, so I am looking to purchase Porsche Euro GT3 /Recaro seats (like to keep the stock look in my GT2). My budget is $3000 for an excellent condition pair. Let me know if you are ready to pass on yours to a good home. ::cheers::

Old 01-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Hams996TT is infamous around these partsHams996TT is infamous around these parts
Good luck!

Old 01-17-2013, 02:06 PM
KC_Michael is infamous around these parts
You may want to sit in a few seats prior to purchase. I've heard the GT3 seats are pretty narrow (not for everyone). Other seats have very wide side bolsters (not great for a DD). Walking the paddock at a DE event might provide an opportunity to try a wide variety of seats. Just a thought. . .

Old 01-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Another P has a spectacular aura aboutAnother P has a spectacular aura about
I hear 'ya!
I must look pretty funny in turns at the track with my left knee pressed against the door and me leaning away to hold myself in place. I broke down and just bought a couple of Status Ring GT seats.
Can't wait to try them out on the track and see if I can do more than hang on!

Old 01-17-2013, 06:04 PM
joe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to behold
GT3 Seats

I bought 996 GT3 seats a few years back and they were the single most valuable upgrade for track driving. I am 6'1" and 205 lbs and I fit in these seats. They are a little snug, but that's just how I want them. Also, it it worth mentioning that the seat padding under your butt/thighs and up your back are velcro'd in and can be adjusted with other pads wrapped in velcro to get the fit that is right for you.

Finally, if you go GT3 seats, it can be a slippery slope. First, being 6'1" I had to get some Brey Kause mounting brackets (~$120) to lower the seat height so I fit in the car with a helmet on. Then I went to a six point harness ($700 for both sides), which of course required a roll ball (~$1,000) to which to be mounted, and then of course if your body is all locked in properly, everyone will tell you to get a HANS device (~$700) so that if you do get in a bad frontal accident you don't snap your neck. I went all in, and don't regret a single cent that I spent on safety. If you are going to go 150MPH on a track, **** can happen and you'd hate to be in a position of wishing you had spent money on safety instead of that new exhaust.

To each his/her own, but those are my two cents on the topic.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Try a CGLock on your seatbelt, it really helps.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:41 AM
Hams996TT is infamous around these partsHams996TT is infamous around these parts
No offense to anyone who's posted, but did anyone actually read his post? He's looking for a used set of GT3 seats, not asking for advice on seat hardware, belts, safety, etc.

Just curious that's all... No disrespect intended, just seems that people tend not to read and comprehend people's posts...

Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 AM
unterbergamotte has a spectacular aura aboutunterbergamotte has a spectacular aura about
GT3 seats

From what I have learned and it appears the result has been second by you guys, the GT3 seats appear to be the best for good support and stock look (my waist is not to large -I think ).
I'll be going to the next POC DE in a couple of weeks and I was hoping to get some help with locating a pair before then. I can wait though…

Thanks for the input from you guys.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Another P has a spectacular aura aboutAnother P has a spectacular aura about
Since we are being chastised for adding unsolicited extra chatter (just kidding), I'll limit this post to tell you that there are a set of those seats on Rennlist classifieds right now within your budget. Good luck.
Hopefully I am not breaking any forum rules by stating this

Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Another P
Since we are being chastised for adding unsolicited extra chatter (just kidding), I'll limit this post to tell you that there are a set of those seats on Rennlist classifieds right now within your budget. Good luck.
Hopefully I am not breaking any forum rules by stating this
Thanks for the tip. The seats on the "OTHER" website have been floating around for a while on various forums. I need something nice & snug. These look like they have been extensively used and are worn too much. Am I asking too much when asking for something in excellent condition?

Old 02-17-2013, 04:56 PM
2005 GT-2 is infamous around these parts
I have a set of 2004 gt-2 recaro oem seats

I have a set that were removed from a 2004 gt-2 prior to it being outfitted for racing, I bought them and intended to have them in my gt-2 , however I have since decided against this , they are like new and really look good , however I wish you luck on the 3000$ budget , I would be willing to sell these for 5500 plus shipping. I wish you luck in your search.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:35 PM
AL Z is infamous around these parts
unterbergamotte,
You have a PM.
Al Z

Old 02-17-2013, 06:36 PM
Thanks guys. I purchased actually 2 sets GT3 seats (could not pass on the second deal). These seats are fantastic. Got the roll bar & harness as well. Feels so much better on the track. Especially in fast turns, you feel the car much better.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:02 PM
AdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to all
I'm in the same boat but I think finding a pair of gt3 seats in metro blue might be next to impossible