996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Does a lighter exhaust change the feel of the car a noticeable amount?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 08:55 PM
ATL97gts is infamous around these parts
PM me if you want to sell those springs.. Thanks..

Old 01-19-2013, 10:40 PM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
I am in process of building a light weight exhaust for my car and only have 100 Cell cats on the car right now which is a huge weight saving. I can definitely feel it too. The car seems to handle better; less moody in the tail
I agree with others that a good light weight exhaust is the way to go both for performance(Better spooling, more power, better weight to power ratio) and handling (less weight at the tail end of the car). It is very loud with 100 cels and no mufflers btw
I will post some pics of my exhaust by the end of next week . It will be a X-Pipe design but bigger\better cross section that most of the other X-Pipe exhaust out there, and with lightweight mufflers.
I am even looking to find a Carbon Fiber rear bumper for my GT2 and a Carbon fibre wing to further reduce the weight in the rear. Already have a carbon fiber intercooler Y-Pipe

Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 PM
horsepowerfarm is infamous around these parts
If the car makes you some what uncomfortable to drive due to the different handling from your experience with front engine cars, I suggest taking it to the track with a good instructor. You will never change the inherent qualities of any 911 with a change of exhaust systems. Learn the car, then modify it to suit your newly acquired skills.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:57 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Yes you totally feel it making a difference. Whomever say's no, has not driven the car close to 10/10s with a very light exhaust vs. the stock exhaust.

This is with my stock exhaust , totally feel the extra weight at slip angle maximum.

Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Very safe to say I haven't driven my car at 10/10ths btw...no argument there. My point is that I don't notice the weight difference in casual or spirited driving, so perhaps my 'butt dyno' isn't properly optimized or I'm not crossing the threshold where the weight loss would be noticed.

That being said, I'm a complete weight weenie, and I know in my mind that this stuff absolutely does matter and add up...that's why I am such a big fan of it.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Yes you totally feel it making a difference. Whomever say's no, has not driven the car close to 10/10s with a very light exhaust vs. the stock exhaust.

This is with my stock exhaust , totally feel the extra weight at slip angle maximum.

Nice drift F1- check out that passenger rear tire peeling away from the rim!

Old 01-24-2013, 02:42 PM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
F1 knows what his talking about
Look… he even removed the bumper buffers which weigh a few pounds.
Here is what I just got done building. Looks great and sounds even better. 3.5" piping all the way through. 3.5" piping instead of 3" adds a little bit to the weight but not that much. I will have some vids to post soon.

Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
+1 on the coliovers first. No need for motons, just do PSS9/10 and be done. I did suspension and GT2 alignment as my 1st mod. COMPLETELY changed the character AND overall performance of the car. The next 200HP just made it faster (and more raw).

Old 01-25-2013, 03:35 AM
layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !
If you are looking for driving excitement and handling, any properly prepared
911 will beat any other car in the world. One only need to lookup the stats
readily available across the web. Rear engined Porches have dominated road
courses for 60 years. The gt3s aint doing a bad job in the cup series as we
speak. Turbo charged 911s changed the world of racing. I have owned Ferrari
Lambo, Viper.....pssttt you are driving the best my friend.

If you are serious, convert to rear wheel drive, slap on a set of H&Rs or billsteins
and lower the car. If you take it a step further, add a nice round of lightweight
rims. You'll shed a 140 lbs with a good deal of it coming from rotational mass.
Rotational mass reduction makes a HUGE difference in the feel of the car Make
sure and have the car corner balanced after you make the changes.