996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help me find this boost leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 03:35 PM
forcefed1 is infamous around these parts
Help me find this boost leak

I just reinstalled my engien after welding the coolant lines and new turbos and IPD plenum install.

Now im doing a boost leak test.I made two plugs and plugged both turbo to intercooler lines. then I added pressure. I have a huge leak coming from the intake. I can hear it in the filter. I removed the airbox verified it was not the DVs. It apears to be the line on the back that runs from the Oil reservoir to the intake. It's coming out so fast I run the compressor at 45 PSi and cant get more then .3bar on the factory gauge.

Did i connect a check valve wrong? what could allow this much air through the system to that point. I tried pinching the rubber lines on the top of the IPD one at a tiem to see if one of these was the flow path. Couldn't get on them easily so didn't tell much but its not the one on teh right side with the check valve.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:14 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Could be failed check valve ... Does this thread help ?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ressure-2.html

Old 01-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
What happens when the oil fill cap is removed? do not remove while you are adding psi..

If it is that big you should be using a smoke machine.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:24 PM
forcefed1 is infamous around these parts
JSBear,
That was it!
Failed check valve just like the one you had a year ago. im sure ill find another one in the help section of the autoparts store.
nothing special about a porsche check valve.
Thanks

Im going to use smoke for the rest of the test.

for those of you wondering you can make your own smoke machine.
a mechanic buddy of mine explained.
He would take a glass jar with a metal lid. figure out how to put two hose barbs on the lid. Then light incense let it burn a little. blow it out put it in the jar. supply air pressure to one hose barb and connect the other hose to some place on your intake. It will generate good smoke!
Im going to make one tomorrow then finish this test that way after i replace the check valve.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:42 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Good idea.. You do not need high psi, just flow to to move the smoke to the opening.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:18 AM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
I must say Tim941NYC was instrumental

in assisting me with troubleshooting my issue, so I really can't take much credit other than referencing my thread Glad you were able to find it.

Originally Posted by forcefed1
JSBear,
That was it!
Failed check valve just like the one you had a year ago. im sure ill find another one in the help section of the autoparts store.
nothing special about a porsche check valve.
Thanks

Im going to use smoke for the rest of the test.

for those of you wondering you can make your own smoke machine.
a mechanic buddy of mine explained.
He would take a glass jar with a metal lid. figure out how to put two hose barbs on the lid. Then light incense let it burn a little. blow it out put it in the jar. supply air pressure to one hose barb and connect the other hose to some place on your intake. It will generate good smoke!
Im going to make one tomorrow then finish this test that way after i replace the check valve.