996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Where to get head lights refinished?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Where to get head lights refinished?

I am attempting to get things done on my car during the winter months so I have no down time during the driving season. I have been desperately looking to find a place to do this to no avail.

The previous owner took apart the headlights (or a company) and finished the inside housing in black and it looked great I bet when it was done, but now it looks terrible. It is hazed outside and inside because of condensation over the years and on one of the headlights the black paint is starting bubble.

I got a detail-er to finish the outside and it came out very nice, but the inside is still hazed and makes it look terrible. I gave it to another detail-er that said they could fix it with out going inside (even after I told them it is inside) and put this clear coat that further ruined the outside even worst (it should be able to be sanded and refinished back to the beginning).

I need to know of a company or a person (I remember someone that did this on this forums and can't find them for the life of me!!) that can do the following:
1. Take apart the headlight
2. Refinish the outside and inside with a good refinisiher kit available at your local auto store
3. Lightly sand the black paint and respray the inside of the housing
4. Re-assemble

A member sent me a link to a company that dis-assembled the headlights, sprayed the inside of the housing black and re-sealed. I contacted them and they said they can do everything, but the most important part which is refinishing the outside and inside of the lens!! I confirmed that they can do everything, but the easiest part like refinish the lens once taken apart.

ANY DIRECTION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
i think this is the thread your looking for.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...eadlights.html

Old 01-20-2013, 07:56 PM
west coast is infamous around these parts
With the lights having been taken apart the chances of getting a perfect factory seal are slim, and they will likely get condensation inside at some point no matter who does the sealing, I did this to some tail lights in the past (not on a Porsche) and it can turn out ok just be prepared for the same results you are now experiencing. The best bet is to search online for some used ones, if they are litronics they will be expensive.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
i think this is the thread your looking for.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...eadlights.html

That is the company I contacted and said they don't refinish the lenses!

The tread I was referring to someone did it them selfs and said they will be willing to do it for other forum members if we would ship it to him.

Thanks anyways for you help and quick response.

ALSO IF ANYONE HAS OR KNOW OF A GOOD SER OF LIGHTS FOR SALE PLS LMK!

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Old 01-20-2013, 10:47 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
A shop near me in San Jose took care of mine. I had some pretty bad yellowing and had a detailer give it a go and failed. This local shop just wet-sanded with various grits until they were happy. I was amazed that it was possible to bring these back. Pm me if you want their contact info.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the links, but those links do not deal with opening up the lens so the inside can be finished as well.

I saw those threads awhile ago and wish that the outside was my only concern being it is a easy fix.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Last edited by Bobbyfali; 01-21-2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: WORDING