996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clearance/offset question from a Noob: 04 ttx50 PCCB, looking at Victor Turismos

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Empyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to behold
Clearance/offset question from a Noob: 04 ttx50 PCCB, looking at Victor Turismos

This Sunday, driving on the highway, I hit a 2x4 or maybe a 4x4 by the look of the damage to my wheels. I have Sport Techno's in 18x8 and 18x11. I've attached a shot of the rear of my wheel.

I'm considering the Victor Equipment Turismo (black) and have some questions on the offset and clearance.

My current rear wheel, as mentioned, is an 18x11 with a 63 offset, but a 17mm spacer. This brings the effective offset down to 46mm, I believe, right?

Can I just slam a Victor Turismo 18x11 (w/ 52mm offset) in the rear after removing the 17mm spacer?

Would it have clearance for the PCCB calipers?

Much thanks. I've done a ton of searching and reading about these wheels, and I haven't found any definitive on 6so, RL or RT.

Thanks!

Attached Images   
Old 01-22-2013, 09:25 PM
unterbergamotte has a spectacular aura aboutunterbergamotte has a spectacular aura about
Sorry to hear about your mishap. Good that nothing worse happened. A wheel and alignment and you're good to go.
From the numbers, the Victor wheel with a 7mm spacer would fit nice and snug.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Empyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to behold
Danke, unterbergamotte. That's good news. I was thinking about an inexpensive $99 spacer set such as the following: GMP Spacer Set

Looking at the photo, it's a good thing that it didn't nuke the PCCB rotor, actually. That would have been an expensive accident.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 PM
MBH
MBH has a spectacular aura aboutMBH has a spectacular aura about
Wow, terrible to see that happen, but glad that you and the pccbs are safe!

if you are looking into spacers, you might as well go for the best fit you can IMO. The factory GT2 wheels are 18x12 et45, which would put them 20mm farther out than the 18x11 et52 (http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp)

I just ordered a set of 15mm H&R spacers (and ten 60mm lug bolts) from ECS tuning for my car to use on both my winter (18x10 et50 Victor Innsbruck) and summer (factory twists). I had previously ordered a set of spacers from ebay that were guaranteed porsche fitment etc, and well, lets just say the FedEx guy is coming to pick them back up tomorrow... same cost as the H&R, not sure why I didn't go that way in the first place. Hope that there are no issues with the H&R.

Drop Eric @ GetYourWheels a line for the Victor Equipments, he was easily one of the best people I've dealt with in the past 15k I've spent on car parts in the past 5 years. He had the best shipped price too, which never hurts

Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 PM
MBH
MBH has a spectacular aura aboutMBH has a spectacular aura about
OH and with spacers, since you would have the room to do so, I'd run ones that are both wheel and hub centric to prevent vibrations. I *think* those typically start at 11mm+

if you do end up piecing together something that makes you buy separate lug bolts, the factory bolts are 45mm, so just add the width of the spacer to find the length of your new bolts

Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Thanks, MBH. I wonder if I would even need a spacer at a 6mm delta. The new wheels will be just 6mm more recessed, right? (63mm - 17mm = 52mm - 6mm)? What do you think? Any handling deficiencies if I skip the spacer on a 6mm delta?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 AM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
I just installed the Innsbruck in 18x8 and 18x11 with not fit issue on stock calipers. Not sure about your application but I don't believe there was any exceptions for our vehicles in their fitment guide
The offset listed on them are 36 for the rear

Got mine through america's tires since it was local to me and I was able to get new wheels and new Hankook V12 in for 2200 installed.
Fit and finish on the wheels were quite good and with a claimed weight of 21.45 lbs for the rear it was comprable to the stock hollow spoke.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 AM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
Yeah, I would get the Victor Innsbruck, front offset is 45 and rear is 36.Size 18x11 and 18x8 .So its like having a 5mm spacer in front and a 9mm spacer in rear without BUYING spacers. I bought these wheels in matte black and on my red turbo they look great!!!! Mike

Old 01-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Thanks, RXBike and Mike. Good feedback. I like the old school Fuch's-like look of the Turismo, but I have heard good things about the Innsbruck, including the fact that they're lighter than even the hollow turbo twists, I believe.

I have two somewhat unrelated (to each other) follow on questions:
  1. I live in SF. For Rxbike, who bought his set at America's Tire, they didn't happen to have them in stock, did they? I can't imagine that they would, but just asking in a hopeful manner. If they didn't, how long did it take to receive? I'm jonesing for my TT right now.
  2. The rears come in a 8x11 with a 25 and 45 offsets as well as the 52. I guess if I went with the 45 instead of the 52, then the wheels would be 1mm further inset, using the calculator that MBH posted. If I went the 25 offset route, it'd stick out almost 2.1cm. Any downside with protruding that much?
  3. Do either of you have PCCBs? I'm wondering if there are physical differences between the PCCB and non-PCCB calipers?

The reason why I'm asking so many questions is because I haven't driven that car since Sunday, and I'd hate to order the wrong set and deal with the hassles and delays of not getting them right.

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2013, 09:27 AM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
In regards to America's Tires, no they are not stocked however they ordered on a monday and it arrived wednesday morning. I think it came up from SoCal. If you want a money saver tip on tax savings on wheel purchase, pm me and I'll let you know what I did.

Not sure about the offset since mine was only available in one offset.

Having gone to Victor's sight to look at the wheel you are refering to, the Turismo model is only available in a 40mm offset for our cars, regardless of regular or pccb brakes since the pccb does not change the caliper thickness an. This being said, from the look of the wheel design, they had to give it a 40mm offset to allow the spokes to clear the calipers vs a 36mm offset on the other wheels since the hub and spoke design allows for slightly more clearance

Last edited by rxbike; 01-23-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Ultimate solution arrived at

OK, guys, thanks for the guidance and experience. Here's what I decided to do...

I am buying the wheels at Wheel Enhancement and having them shipped to Rolling Stock to re-mount my old tires (90% left), balance and align.

The reason why I chose Wheel Enhancement is because they had a Sport Techno front that was used that I'd bought. It was shipped to me from LA to SF, and was en-route. When I spoke to the guy there, he was very knowledgable, and I told him that I am on the fence between just replacing the one wheel and getting a new set. He said that they sold all types of rims and to give him a call.

Later that night, I go out to inspect the rear wheel. The tire holds pressure and no damage on the outermost side of the wheel, so I think it's probably good. Go underneath the car, and it looks good. Roll the car back a couple of feet and look again and D'oh! Nice little bend (although not as bad as on the front). So now, I can spend $1100 on Sport Technos, and then Plasti-Dip them black again, or just get black wheels (admittedly, less ghetto).

So, I did. I ended up ordering the Victor Equipment Le Mans in Black with Polished Rim. No one in the country had 8x11 Turismo's in stock, and there were none scheduled to be made for the next 6 months. And this way, I can ship back the superfluous Sport Techno that I bought from Wheel Enhancement without a restocking fee.

Just though I'd post what I finally went and did in case, for whatever reason, someone comes upon this thread for history's sake. I'll take pics of the car so that folks can see how the LeMans looks on an 04 tt cab.

Cheers and thanks again for all of the thoughts.

Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2013, 10:52 PM
OK, I got the wheels installed with my existing rubber. I really like these wheels on this car and color combination.

The turbo vent is still plasti-dipped matte black. I thought that turned our OK.

I started out with the Sport Techno Turbo Twists in silver, and then I plasti-dipped them. It looked good and told me that I wanted black wheels. I like the polished rims.

All totaled, it was about $1800 for the rims + remounting wheels + alignment.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	206903   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	206904