996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

clear bra damage from accident - should I make a claim?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:07 PM
flavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond repute
clear bra damage from accident - should I make a claim?

Hi guys,

Need some advice from some experienced drivers!

Saturday night, I was stopped at a light behind a Smart Car. When it turned green, the dope driving it put his car in reverse and drove into me! Luckily he realized what was happening and hit the brakes, so it was a slow impact: only the clear bra on my bumper was damaged - no paint work will be required.

Because this other guy is at fault, I do want his insurance to replace my clear bra. BUT - if I make a claim, will this show up on a CARFAX report and diminish the value of my car?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:36 AM
BOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to behold
Did you get a police report? If not, unless he admits fault, you're likely not going to get his insurance to pay anything. He can be a total ****** and say you bumped him.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:14 AM
NTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond repute
Just get him to give you $350 cash to replace that portion of the clear bra. It is probably lower than his deductable anyway.

Also I would really hope that even if that did show up on car fax it would not lower the value of your car. lol

Old 01-29-2013, 08:20 AM
JadeRaven is infamous around these parts
If it damaged the clear bra significantly then there may be some spiderwebbing/cracks on the paint underneath.

Crappy situation.

Carfax/autocheck doesn't catch everything, but they do catch police reports. I don't know if I've seen an "insurance claim" before.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NTIMD8
Just get him to give you $350 cash to replace that portion of the clear bra. It is probably lower than his deductable anyway.

Also I would really hope that even if that did show up on car fax it would not lower the value of your car. lol
so would i but a lot of people buying cars now want clean carfax, any little item on there at all will make it harder to sell your car and its incredibly likely that it will diminish the value of your car (completely rediculous imo)

Old 01-29-2013, 09:53 AM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
same thing happened to me one time.. i decided not to bother with any type of claim for such minor damage that can be repaired for under $500

Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM
flavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond repute
Well it looks like I won't have much of a choice in the matter. The guy reported the incident to his insurance, admitted fault, and their adjuster estimated the damage at ~$2100 - I need a respray and new clear bra. Luckily I can take it anywhere I want - does anybody have suggestions for a good body shop in LA?