996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K16 vs k24 turbo's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 01:33 PM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
K16 vs k24 turbo's

I have an 01 Turbo without the X50 package. I know my car has the k16's, but my question is if I bought original X50 Turbos (K24's) and just swapped them with mine, would there be any immediate power increases. I would assume there would be more lag since they are larger also. I currently also have a factory gt2 exhaust on the car that I purchased from a board member a while back. I would eventually chip the car and do the upgraded intercoolers. Thanks for your response.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:36 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
I believe you also would have to remap the ecu to gain any advantage with the larger turbo's.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:51 PM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by paneraiwatches
I believe you also would have to remap the ecu to gain any advantage with the larger turbo's.
Correct. You would have to put an X50 Ecu mapping onto your car.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:53 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
And maybe intercoolers to cool the bigger bad boys (X50/GT2 have bigger intercoolers than reg. TTs)

Old 07-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Re: K16 vs k24 turbo's

Originally posted by M3CAB
I have an 01 Turbo without the X50 package. I know my car has the k16's, but my question is if I bought original X50 Turbos (K24's) and just swapped them with mine, would there be any immediate power increases. I would assume there would be more lag since they are larger also. I currently also have a factory gt2 exhaust on the car that I purchased from a board member a while back. I would eventually chip the car and do the upgraded intercoolers. Thanks for your response.
In order to get the most from the K24's you will need a few other support items.

First and foremost is a chip. GIAC offers the most aggressive K24 program. Second would be an exhaust. The stock exhaust on any Turbo Porsche is extremely restrictive. Throw in a panel air filter and some diverter valves and you've got yourself a monster.

Check out this link for more info.

AWE/GIAC K24 Turbo kit

If you have any further questions, email me.
mike@awe-tuning.com

Hope this helps.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by msindi
And maybe intercoolers to cool the bigger bad boys (X50/GT2 have bigger intercoolers than reg. TTs)
I hardly think that 10% larger intercoolers (that is the percentage, correct?) make that much of a difference in my opinion (at least from what I have learned over the years of doing Front Mounts on Supras, 3000GT VR-4s, and RX-7s).

Old 07-13-2005, 02:27 PM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
So I guess the answer is, If I did theGT2 Turbo's and chip, that would possibly yield a significant power increase, and then of course the exhaust would help also. I have already done the Baileys and bought them AWE last year since I was having tons of boost problems.

Now I had plans to chip the car soon, so if I did the chip with stock turbo's would I have to buy a new overlapping chip program for the upgraded turbo's? I am still deciding if the upgraded turbos are really worth it for me, since I know the chip is.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:37 PM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone know approximate cost of the total upgrade to K24's and the goodies that you need with 'em?

Old 07-13-2005, 02:39 PM

Now I had plans to chip the car soon, so if I did the chip with stock turbo's would I have to buy a new overlapping chip program for the upgraded turbo's? I am still deciding if the upgraded turbos are really worth it for me, since I know the chip is.
Honestly, I would try chipping the stock turbos and buying a good exhaust/intake setup. Many hefty gains have been made with the stock K16 turbos.

However, there is a Stage II turbo setup with the Upsolute chip that makes some serious hp (perhaps a bit more) for less than you would spend on the K24 turbos for, much less for 2 K-24 turbos and a chip.

Read about it here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...threadid=12591
and here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...threadid=16965

Last edited by Ruiner; 07-13-2005 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
So I guess the answer is, If I did theGT2 Turbo's and chip, that would possibly yield a significant power increase, and then of course the exhaust would help also. I have already done the Baileys and bought them AWE last year since I was having tons of boost problems.

The GIAC chip for K16 Turbos is $2000. Let's say in a year you upgrade to K24's, you will get full trade in value. The K24 specific chip is $3000. Since you are already an exsisting GIAC customer, subtract $2000. Simple as that!

Old 07-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Former Vendor
Originally posted by Scott in H-town
Anyone know approximate cost of the total upgrade to K24's and the goodies that you need with 'em?
Scott-

Click me.

Old 07-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Mike!

Old 07-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Former Vendor
Originally posted by Scott in H-town
Thanks Mike!
No problem.

After you do the install, your car will fly (literally)!

Right Click/Save As

Old 07-13-2005, 03:28 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
I can attest to the power of GIAC...went from an 01 TT to an 03 X50 and although faster not that impressive for 18K...
Next was the Baileys, K&N, Fabspeed supersport and Imagine Auto/GIAC 600HP program - DAMN that car was fast....now im ruined as no car will satify my power needs

Old 07-13-2005, 08:34 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Mike/A.W.E.
No problem.

After you do the install, your car will fly (literally)!

Right Click/Save As
Mike,

Sweet video! Who knew a tt could imitate the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard!

YEEHAW!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K16 vs k24 turbo's