996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Engine compartment release cable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:24 PM
ejaahm is infamous around these parts
Engine compartment release cable

Hello everyone, need some help with my rear engine compartment release cable. For the last few weeks I noticed it was difficult to open the engine compartment, the release button at driver's side and electronic release mechanism works fine. Today I saw the release cable was very loose. As I was trying to explore why it was loose, It easily came off from the electronic release mechanism (hiding some where inside the body of the driver's side tail light). How can I attach it back with the electronic release mechanism?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:44 AM
Oh...no help yet...
can any one let me know the location of the engine compartment electronic release. Thanks.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:57 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
The cable is a mechanical release (for backup). The electrical activates the latch mechanism. here is the emergency mechanical release mechanism

Old 02-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by wross996TT
The cable is a mechanical release (for backup). The electrical activates the latch mechanism. here is the emergency mechanical release mechanism
Thank you so much, that explains.
Now if I put the cable back to the driver's side rear tail light how can I access it from out side in case of a need?

Old 02-06-2013, 12:51 PM
RennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of light
You're supposed to smash the taillight to get to the cable.

I routed mine down the left side of the engine compartment and drilled a small hole into the lower duct work of the left side intercooler and fed the cable through that. I can reach up through the IC bumper vents and grab the loop on the cable and pop the decklid if ever needed.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Thanks for your reply, now I got it ;-)

Old 02-06-2013, 03:35 PM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RennFab

I routed mine down the left side of the engine compartment and drilled a small hole into the lower duct work of the left side intercooler and fed the cable through that. I can reach up through the IC bumper vents and grab the loop on the cable and pop the decklid if ever needed.
This always cracked me up, I would think those German engineers could figure out a little easier way to get in there.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:55 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
The front lid isn't much easier to get at either....so when you have the bumper off for annual cleaning of the radiators, grab the mechanical release cable and hook it to the the inside of the tow hook in the front bumper.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by wross996TT
The front lid isn't much easier to get at either....so when you have the bumper off for annual cleaning of the radiators, grab the mechanical release cable and hook it to the the inside of the tow hook in the front bumper.
Thanks for the advice, will do.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 PM
jayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to behold
I had to figure this out when I stupidly got a towel (I place one over motor when I wash the car to prevent it from getting soaked) stuck in the latch mechanism. Hopefully the notes and picture will help you fish it out.

1. Protect bumper with tape etc.
2. Shine a flashlight in gap between taillight and bumper to see the cable
3. Use a hook to fish out the cable. A stout wire with a fine hook on the end is good for this. Either a large paper clip or a home AC electrical wire work well. Once you've got the cable, best to pull it at a 90 degree angle to the front of the car (i.e., pull out from the side of the car)

Attached Images   
Old 02-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RennFab

Please I hope you're are joking.

I watched a tech open my Turbo's engine compartment lid in about 5 seconds by using a plastic wedge to create a bit of gap between the left brake light housing and the rear bumper cover then with a flashlight he used a pick with a hook on the end to grab the release cable loop and gave a tug and the lid was open.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:20 PM
I left the engine compartment emergency release cable hanging into the driver's side of the engine bay. I can easily access the cable from below. Also adjusted the height of two rubber guards on the innner edge of the upper engine lid. Endine compartment release working better now with the switch next to driver's seat. Thanks for all the help.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:19 AM
lrathome is infamous around these parts
Macster had the tip that did it for me. I wedged up the taillight cover with plastic handle of a paintbrush, could then see cable with flashlight and hooked it with a plastic knife i cut a hook into (so as to not trash paint/damage plastic with metal tools).
Note: the cable is TAPED DOWN under tail lamp!! so took a bit of fiddling and then would not squeeze out under tail lamp since tape was stuck to it. A good pull parallel to the rear bumper away from car and popped right open.
Apparently my actuator was just too stuck to work with jump point in fuse box and door ground, because now seems to work fine with same since the manual opening.