996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

18inch wheels / stock suspension / pics?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
18inch wheels / stock suspension / pics?

I know there are a lot of wheel threads out there but I'm looking for some pics of TT's on stock suspension with 18" aftermarket wheels. I know 19s would look like crap but I figured 18s should look ok since the tire sidewall doesn't change much.

What do you have ?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute

Attached Images    

Last edited by leftlane; 02-13-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 PM
911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !
I have pics that I'll upload from my first stock speed yellow 2001 996tt. It was a monster truck and handled like ****.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
LOL! Even with 18s? I'm on stock suspension with turbo twists. The handling is pretty good actually.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:29 PM
911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !
At the time, I was coming from a C5 Z06 that handled with the best of them in stock trim. Yes, this was with turbo twist (solids, 2001) with new PS2's. It would shimmy when pushed hard into a turn. A good example is that I'd squeeze the throttle and point it hard right on on ramps and it would understeer, i'd push harder, and then it would fight itself to find a balance. Installing PSS9's on that otherwise stock car completely transformed the car. It was pricey but it was literally a different car after the suspension upgrade.

My current car has JIC Cross coil-over which are hard core but not for the faint of heart as they don't suppress the bumps as well as the bilsteins but they're better for track use.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:54 AM
Yea, the handling is good as long as you don't push the car too hard. I definitely wouldn't venture on a track on stock suspension; that would be scary

Old 02-14-2013, 10:22 AM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911-AL
At the time, I was coming from a C5 Z06 that handled with the best of them in stock trim. Yes, this was with turbo twist (solids, 2001) with new PS2's. It would shimmy when pushed hard into a turn. A good example is that I'd squeeze the throttle and point it hard right on on ramps and it would understeer, i'd push harder, and then it would fight itself to find a balance. Installing PSS9's on that otherwise stock car completely transformed the car. It was pricey but it was literally a different car after the suspension upgrade.

My current car has JIC Cross coil-over which are hard core but not for the faint of heart as they don't suppress the bumps as well as the bilsteins but they're better for track use.
I fixed this for $350 using the Eibach sway bars. With the springs and shocks they bring it to feeling much more balanced without that uneasy feeling in the front end when pushing it hard. One day I may go to coilovers but since adding the sway bars my desire has decreased greatly.

I also came from a C5z before this car. Performance wise the Turbo has actually made me appreciate the level of performance from the C5z more. However, beyond the performance and low cost of entry and parts I was really soured on many other aspects like the build quality.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:19 PM
ATL97gts is infamous around these parts
Just wondering why you feel 19's would look worse. I think it's universally agreed upon that 19's look better, but don't perform as well as 18's. 18's are the stock wheel size and on stock suspension you have gobs of fender well gap and the nose rides high, and all together, it looks foolish.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 PM
It depends what you're after. If you want to minimize the impact on performance, it's better to keep the overall diameter the same. So, bigger rim = less tire sidewall = more of a 4x4 look.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:26 PM
4x4's have huge sidewalls. And huge fender well gap, just like a stock 996tt. Bigger wheels detract from this wether you go with larger OD tires or not..

Old 02-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Even if you have the same OD tires 19's generally negatively impact performance as they move the rotating mass outward.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Well, I'm speaking out of experience on my BMW. I went from 17" to 18" and it looked odd because the tire sidewall became smaller and made the fender gap look bigger (even though it wasn't). So, I ended up getting coilovers to dial in the ride height. I may eventually go that route on the TT as well but not any time soon . I'm still fine with the stock handling for now.

Keeping the overall diameter the same won't completely correct for the bigger wheels but the acceleration shouldn't be affected. Cornering still will a bit unless the wheel is a lot lighter. Not impossible if you come from the heavy solid turbo twists.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:48 PM
I am speaking from experience with my 996tt.

19's with the same OD will not corner as well. Not enough give in the sidewalls. Traction will suffer in big power cars as well, but like I said before, it's universally agreed upon that 19's look better. Use the search button. This is well documented.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:58 PM
I'll need to see some more real life pictures to be convinced. I do prefer 18s but who knows. Like you mentioned, better performance overall, which is important.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Yep... There are tons of pics on here too. Porsche felt the pressure to make the newer models look better so they've moved on to larger wheels.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 18inch wheels / stock suspension / pics?