996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

what to buy,,996 or 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Storman is infamous around these parts
what to buy,,996 or 997

Looking to add to my garage. Have been keeping my eyes out for a 2006 CSC and around here the market seems to be at 60K with low Km. But I have just seen a 04 911 Turbo with 65k Km for 50K.
My budget is is 50 to 60k. Planning on using the car for every day use for half the year. That is about what we get here in Canada for a sports car. I have a 03 Viper but use it for pleasure use only--clear skies only if you know what mean.
My buddy has a Porsche 911 and I had it for the day. Nice car!!
Anyways can anyone steer me in the right direction. I like both body styles, its just the reliability question that I need answered.

Oh ya both are cabriolet.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:11 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
GT1 block on the turbo I think most would agree is more reliable. None of the IMS/RMS leaks/failures that plague the NA cars. And I can't imagine AWD in Canada would be a bad thing either.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Thanks, I have heard about the IMS/RMS issues and hoped that the Turbo was built differently, eliminating those problems.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:08 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Turbo all the way.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:57 PM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
Turbos are reliable. A few small common problems that are no big deal but nothing that's a deal breaker.

I think Legendary's cars are over priced but in some cases you can't pay too much for the right used car.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:29 PM
aahh You know about the the car I am talking about James. It just caught my eye last week, have not seen anything local that compares? Still looking and leaning towards a Turbo. Thanks for the input.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:55 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Turbo. Otherwise you will get bored with the power if you are used to your Viper.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:07 PM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
A stock 2004 should be around $45,000.. I think 50k is a bit high for that car, but they may be willing to deal, never know. Maybe there's some reason it's worth the extra 5k, have you looked at it yet?

Chances are coming march early april more cars will show up for sale as they get put back on the road again. Don't get in a big rush

Old 02-16-2013, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have seen it and it's a very clean car. Just waiting for the maintenance records and a good time to take it for a test drive. I will have my mechanic look at it and use a durametric diagnostic tool. I am not in a hurry and seems like they aren't either. They weren't pushy like your typical car sales person.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:35 AM
biobanker is infamous around these parts
I faced the same decision a couple years ago and ended up with the Turbo.

No need to put it away in the winter if you dont want to either. Toronto winters are very mild but even in the worst snowfalls we get, the Turbo has no problems outside of ground clearance.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:45 PM
M BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud of
I did the same analysis last Spring and ended up with one of the last CPO 996 Turbos, a 2004 w/27k.

I have driven her 26,000 miles since, and am very happy with my choice. Looking forward to an exhaust and ECU flash in the Spring to take her to the next level.

I echo the sentiments of others that you will not be happy with the power of a 997 C2S/C4S.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
An older and higher mileage Turbo is not always cheaper in maintenance. Turbos have their own maintanance problems, all pipes especially cooling pipes need carefull inspection, turbines may need service or even replacement. So get the later and least mileage car you can find

Old 02-19-2013, 05:41 AM
Makes sense Mike but at what mileage will turbos need some maintenance with an average load. Average load meaning not raced. The car I am looking at has 60k km.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:25 AM
biobanker is infamous around these parts
Just a data point that may help you.

A friend of mine was recently looking for a clean 996tt.

Cleaner the better. Newer the better. Lower mileage the better. More stock the better. He ended up settling on a 01 with 10k miles and paid about $49k. Of course he had to find it in the US (so plus duty).

Make sure the typical problem areas are covered because they're big bills if you inherit one of them.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Slalom is infamous around these parts
How about an 05 Turbo S Coupe, 444HP, 6 speed, 28,000 miles, totally unmolested, mint car?
Contact me at
TratcoUSA@aol.com
Private party.