996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

tire wear/suspension setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:42 PM
wheelman21 is infamous around these partswheelman21 is infamous around these parts
tire wear/suspension setup

So I've done a lot of reading about this and that, camber vs toe vs lowering vs driving style. I've read this board, renntech, and others, but it seems like a lot of dated info and tons of different circumstances and results. I have an 02 with H&R springs. The ride height is about perfect for me. I didn't install the springs, the previous owner did. However I'm having tire wear issues. When I took off my summers the inner edges were gone, just gone. They had a nasty wave too, with high and low spots. When I took them off they were unlivable. I have my winters on now and I feel like i am burning them off the same way. I've had the car aligned but because of the drop I can't get back to spec. I've been thinking I need dog bones or toe links. I know both are ideal but things are a little tighter than I'd like right now so it's a bang for the buck scenario. So should which should I go with, will one of them help with the tire wear more than the other? The car is street driven, and not tracked. A good amount of highway driving mostly. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:13 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Toe is your enemy if you are wearing out the inside 1" of the tire. Dont waste your money on dog bones. Get toe links and have them set up minimum toe in. I run 1.0mm total toe front and rear with -2.3 camber front and -2.1 camber rear and my tire wear is excellent.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:20 PM
MOORE996 is infamous around these parts
Have the same issue as you are having and purchased dog bones. Had them installed and then went to get an alignment. The place I went to, Bill Rutner, well known Porsche shop refused to do an alignment until I got RSS control arms and toe links for front and rear. The price for them is a minimum of $1500. I'm in the process of trying to get them. I want it done right so I'm most likely going to go this route. Here is the link for the RSS control arms. http://stuttgartperformance.rpmware....s/g-62403.aspx

Old 02-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Toe is your enemy if you are wearing out the inside 1" of the tire. Dont waste your money on dog bones. Get toe links and have them set up minimum toe in. I run 1.0mm total toe front and rear with -2.3 camber front and -2.1 camber rear and my tire wear is excellent.
Thank you for your answer as I will take the same advise as I am about to put on KW K3's and I want to lower the car about 1.5-2". I have asked this question many times to only get I need everything and spend a small fortune.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Old 02-19-2013, 03:51 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MOORE996
Have the same issue as you are having and purchased dog bones. Had them installed and then went to get an alignment. The place I went to, Bill Rutner, well known Porsche shop refused to do an alignment until I got RSS control arms and toe links for front and rear. The price for them is a minimum of $1500. I'm in the process of trying to get them. I want it done right so I'm most likely going to go this route. Here is the link for the RSS control arms. http://stuttgartperformance.rpmware....s/g-62403.aspx
I'm not sure why he's recommending the adjustable control arms. Those will only give you more camber adjustment, not less. Unless you track your car it's not what you need. The Porsche Motorsport adjustable toe links are the way to go. Tarret sells them..not too expensive... I have the Porsche GT3 adjustable LCAs and the Motorsport toe links and they are both excellent products proven on and off the track....

Old 02-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
Thank you for your answer as I will take the same advise as I am about to put on KW K3's and I want to lower the car about 1.5-2". I have asked this question many times to only get I need everything and spend a small fortune.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba
Everyone loves to sell you on dog bones. I guess there's a really good profit margin in those things. I had a set on my car and the only thing they did was make the car noisy. I put the OEM bog bones back in and have had zero issues even with a track alignment. Too camber for your application will wear your tires more on the inside but it will be gradual across the whole width of the tire. Too much toe will show up as excessive tire wear on the inside 1" or so of the tire.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Cool T has a spectacular aura aboutCool T has a spectacular aura aboutCool T has a spectacular aura about
I have KW V3's on the way for my 02 TT,wanting to drop to around GT2 ride height.....so,after reading many threads..,which all indicate that I don't need any additional aftermarket parts to make things right?? or do I?

Just wanna do it right the first time:}

Thx

Old 02-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
I'm not sure why he's recommending the adjustable control arms. Those will only give you more camber adjustment, not less. Unless you track your car it's not what you need. The Porsche Motorsport adjustable toe links are the way to go. Tarret sells them..not too expensive... I have the Porsche GT3 adjustable LCAs and the Motorsport toe links and they are both excellent products proven on and off the track....

COOL T

this is what you would need as per above for that lowering to avoid inside tire wear.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Old 02-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Sorry COOL T I meant to quote this as well.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Old 02-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Basic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant future
I have the full RSS tarmac series(LCA front/rear, dog bones, rear toe links) setup on my 996TT, absolutely transformed the car. Car should come this way from the factory IMO.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:01 AM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MOORE996
If a shop refuses to do work before you buy more parts find a new shop to goto. Doesn't matter how well they're known...

Old 02-20-2013, 06:06 AM
Originally Posted by Basic
I have the full RSS tarmac series(LCA front/rear, dog bones, rear toe links) setup on my 996TT, absolutely transformed the car. Car should come this way from the factory IMO.
You say it "absolutely transformed the car".

Did you do all the suspension mods at once or peice by piece?

If you did all at once how do you know it wasn't one mod that made the most difference or the effects of individual components?

To start to lower these car your told H&R coil overs are not good enough and at minimum you need $3000 PSS10 + 1000 labour to install and align. Then if you want to really lower more then .75" you must go with $3800 KW V3's. You also need dog bones, toe links, GT3 LCA front and back or else your $5000 worth of coilovers and install is not"done" properly.

So over $10 000 just to lower your car "properly" and that is for someone that will just street drive your car!

Really!!

The question is what is REALLY needed on these street cars and I believe someone in this thread (pwdrhound thanks BTW!) finally gave us real world realistic answer.

Enough of this , "you need all cup suspension to do it right", just because it is a "Porsche". 80% of the people will NEVER truly realize the difference or needs these components period.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Last edited by Bobbyfali; 02-20-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:23 AM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
You say it "absolutely transformed the car".

Did you do all the suspension mods at once or peice by piece?

If you did all at once how do you know it wasn't one mod that made the most difference or the effects of individual components?

Do start to lower these car your told H&R coil overs are not good enough and at minimum you need $3000 PSS10 + 1000 labour to install and align. Then if you want to really lower more then .75" you must go with $3800 KW V3's. You also need dog bones, toe links, GT3 LCA front and back or else your $5000 worth of coilovers and install is not"done" properly.

So over $10 000 just to lower your car "properly" and that is for someone that will just street drive your car!

Really!!

The question is what is REALLY needed on these street cars and I believe someone in this thread finally gave us real world realistic answer. Thank you by the way.

Enough of this , "you need all cup suspension to do it right", just because it is a "Porsche". 80% of the people will NEVER truly realize the difference or needs by of these components period.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba
Most of the people who say this don't have the driving skills to max the car is stock form... It's called elitist bull****.

Proper track setups have their place and will help even an amateur driver but unless your serious about tracking your car it's a waste of money for the average guy just ripping on the streets.

I know a few guys who teach driving schools and are amazing drivers. They laugh at guys showing up with 10k suspensions who are passed by them in a Jetta TDI at the track. I see the same thing at the golf course, lots of money for the best clubs, shoots 100, blames it on equipment and wind. My clubs are 6 years old and I shoot in the 70s, it's called skill and practice.

Last edited by King James; 02-20-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:38 PM
TMWTP has a spectacular aura aboutTMWTP has a spectacular aura aboutTMWTP has a spectacular aura about
Where did you get your install and alignment done? My rear tire wear is terrible, I don't like driving the car with the new tires on until this gets taken care of.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by TMWTP
Where did you get your install and alignment done? My rear tire wear is terrible, I don't like driving the car with the new tires on until this gets taken care of.
3zero3 Motorsports handles all my track prep including alignment. Talk to Max over there. He is intimately familiar with my car (blue RUF Rturbo). The specs I listed earlier are what I have found to work well on my car running at HPR but you can not get those settings with stock components. My tire wear is very even all around.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 02-20-2013 at 05:09 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: tire wear/suspension setup