996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New to the boards! 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Former Vendor
MishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond repute
Beautiful indeed. Any plans soon?

Old 02-19-2013, 01:56 PM
tvieso has a spectacular aura abouttvieso has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by daedalus
You're in Omaha? Holy crap. Turbo Brethren. Hopefully we can meet up this spring after the 18 inches that supposed to come on Thursday melts.

Ironically i bought mine last fall, drove it back from the northeast and proceeded to put 6k on it in a few months before the snow hit.
Yes I am! Awesome to hear there's someone else in Omaha. I actually took the 996 out immediately during that first snow we got this winter. I put Pirelli Sottozeros on it and it handles charmingly. I'll send you a PM when I'm able (don't have enough posts yet).

Originally Posted by diego@vossen
Beautiful car, welcome aboard.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by MishaDesigns
Beautiful indeed. Any plans soon?
Thanks! Well, I need to tint the windows. Looking for someone close to do Formula1 Pinnacle but I think Chicago may be the closest. I'd like to eventually put new wheels on, maybe update the front bumper and put a double-din head unit in with BT and iPod connects. Performance-wise, not sure. Suggestions?

Only thing is I have to not get ahead of myself since I'm going back to school this Fall and am going to be a broke college kid again haha. So I'll probably try to stick with minor upgrades.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:46 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
I drove an M3 before buying my TT. It's a fun car and would've made sense as a daily driver since it is relatively practical. The 911 just felt more fun to drive.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:57 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Welcome and Enjoy your car and this site..

Old 02-20-2013, 02:50 PM
thomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of light
Congrats. When you change the coilpacks - do the plugs while you are in there. Might want to replace the Tappet Cam Solenoid Bracket as you will be right there 996-105-310-72.
Be sure to get the intercooler hoses on well before you button it up (pull on them after installed)

Old 02-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by thomapa1
Congrats. When you change the coilpacks - do the plugs while you are in there. Might want to replace the Tappet Cam Solenoid Bracket as you will be right there 996-105-310-72.
Be sure to get the intercooler hoses on well before you button it up (pull on them after installed)
Yeah, I ordered the Bosch coil packs and plugs from ECS. I didn't get the bracket though. Maybe I'll order that on rush delivery. Where can I get that and what tools will I need for it?

Thanks for the heads up. I'll post my experience with a new thread next week.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:32 PM
thomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of light
No special tools needed - it is right there when you are changing coilpacks. 2 bolts hold each one one (maybe 10mm or something. These brackets hold the solenoid in - if they crack over time (which they can do) it will loosen the solenoid causing weird issues. For a 2001 - worth the cost of @$20 each to replace. Can likely get them from suncoast, pelican parts, etc. My 2003 brackets were fine - but it is good preventative maint if you are not sure.

Once you unbolt the bracket (2 bolts) you can leave the solenoid in place while you put in the new bracket (nothing else is holding the solenoid in, so be careful). I left one side undisturbed, then inspected the solenoid on the other side. There will be some oil pooling in the cavity where the solenoid lives - don't be alarmed.

If you are really **** - you can also replace the solenoids while you are there as well. More expensive (maybe $125 each) - but not too much considering you are doing the work.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 PM
No special tools needed - it is right there when you are changing coilpacks. 2 bolts hold each one one (maybe 10mm or something. These brackets hold the solenoid in - if they crack over time (which they can do) it will loosen the solenoid causing weird issues. For a 2001 - worth the cost of @$20 each to replace. Can likely get them from suncoast, pelican parts, etc. My 2003 brackets were fine - but it is good preventative maint if you are not sure.

Once you unbolt the bracket (2 bolts) you can leave the solenoid in place while you put in the new bracket (nothing else is holding the solenoid in, so be careful). I left one side undisturbed, then inspected the solenoid on the other side. There will be some oil pooling in the cavity where the solenoid lives - don't be alarmed.

If you are really **** - you can also replace the solenoids while you are there as well. More expensive (maybe $125 each) - but not too much considering you are doing the work.
Thanks so much! I just ordered the brackets. Tackling this on Saturday with a buddy and some Fat Tire.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:29 PM
birgppa is infamous around these parts
Congrats! I also went from a e92 m3. You will miss the interior and the luxury that car offers. The turbo one is quiet outdated no matter what options you had in the M3. But you will not want to go back anyways =)

Old 02-20-2013, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by birgppa
Congrats! I also went from a e92 m3. You will miss the interior and the luxury that car offers. The turbo one is quiet outdated no matter what options you had in the M3. But you will not want to go back anyways =)
Thanks! Yeah, that's exactly how I feel haha. I think once I install an aftermarket nav/bt/ipod unit in it, I'll be completely fine with it. I can't handle the radio around here anymore. Bruno Mars is driving me insane.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:52 PM
And don't you miss that fat *** steering wheel too? I do..

Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by birgppa
And don't you miss that fat *** steering wheel too? I do..
Truth - steering wheel, exhaust sound, nav/bt/ipod, seats. I totally don't regret sacrificing those for a more powerful AWD beast that is more fun to drive though.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:57 AM
Would like to hear your more in depth comparison 996TT - M3. I have never owned an M3, but my buddy has. His observations after he drove my car were as follows:
- Interior of the M3 is much more modern. More gizmos, controls, modern conveniences and technologies.
- Exterior is a matter of taste.
- Braking was about the same.
- Suspension, 996TT was 'more raw' - however I have aftermarket suspension
- Power. Delivery of power (when the turbos kicked in) was more powerful than anything else he has driven. M3 waaay more linear.
- Exhaust sound. Toss up.
- Etc. He felt that the M3 was one of the easiest cars he has ever driven to slide / toss around

Bottom line = both very competent cars, depends on what the buyer is after. Looks of the 996TT...some people love, some people do not.
996TT was a much more raw feeling 'sports car' ride.
M3 was more compliant / comfortable all around.
996TT shined in acceleration.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:24 AM
The M3 is a much more daily driver friendly car (both my m3 and 6tt was 6speed), obviously it's bigger inside and the backseats are good. As your friend said the interior is more modern, its a newer car so that's not a big surprise. There are a few options that make a big difference interior wise in the M3, for instance the Aluminum/wood/carbonleather center liner on the dash, I think the aluminum and wood look pretty bad, the carbonleather which luckily my car had looks splendid. This depends what you like ofc. Also the screen gives the car a more completed look, without it it looks like something is missing imo. The whole feel of the M3s interior makes the 6tt feel like a nissan tbh. Quality is over the top excellent.

The M3s V8 is more thirsty wether you're in the city, countryside back roads or the freeway. It's a high revving engine. The 6th gear should be an overdrive gear imo but It's not, the M3 wouldnt be able to get the same topspeed if it wasnt geared the way it is. This drastically decreases fuel economy as you are on higher rev's in 6th on the freeway. But like I said, it probably helps on the nurburgring My car did not have shiftlights which some do, the engine revs to 8400 and it's hard to know if you're at the redline or not because 7800rpm-8400 sound pretty much the same.

Like you said the M3s powerdelivery is very linear, it feels like you're in the same gear foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever! It's not bad or good, sometime's I wish my porsche's was more linear tho, it makes me scared from time to time :P You would know

My 6tt has k24's with about 550hp so obviosly acceleration is totally out of the M3s league. A supercharger would solve this.

The brakes however I totally disagree with your friend, sure the first initial decelleration is about the same but the M3s brakes are way to small and they fade pretty quick. For spirit street use they serve their purpose very good. I have 6 pot 350mm brakes but Im 100% positive the 6tt stock brakes are way better then the M3s.

The M3 feels really big compared to the 6tt, on the roads just driving I miss the M3 all the time but when I drive a bit more spirited I never look back

Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 AM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Would like to hear your more in depth comparison 996TT - M3. I have never owned an M3, but my buddy has. His observations after he drove my car were as follows:
- Interior of the M3 is much more modern. More gizmos, controls, modern conveniences and technologies.
- Exterior is a matter of taste.
- Braking was about the same.
- Suspension, 996TT was 'more raw' - however I have aftermarket suspension
- Power. Delivery of power (when the turbos kicked in) was more powerful than anything else he has driven. M3 waaay more linear.
- Exhaust sound. Toss up.
- Etc. He felt that the M3 was one of the easiest cars he has ever driven to slide / toss around

Bottom line = both very competent cars, depends on what the buyer is after. Looks of the 996TT...some people love, some people do not.
996TT was a much more raw feeling 'sports car' ride.
M3 was more compliant / comfortable all around.
996TT shined in acceleration.
My take on E92 M3 versus 996tt.
Interior The M3 has better seats with nicer leather. Something to note: The leather in the M3 is better than the leather in the other E92's. While the seats are shaped better with more bolstering they look like they'd be much heavier. The steering wheel is perfect in the M3. Not terrible but boring in the 911. The rest of the interior is nice but not amazing. I think the interior in the 996 is much better with everything covered in leather...except for the center console. Porsche dropped the ball there. I don't care about electronics but neither car has a ton. I like the seating position better in the Turbo. The M3 is too high in addition to the car just being taller than the 911.
ExteriorI like the look of the Turbo better, but this is subjective. Both are good quality with good fit. Points deducted on the M3 because of the typical modern BMW orange peel. I don't know if they are using different solvents now but BMW's have horrible orange peel from the factory now.
Braking I wouldn't say I've pushed either cars brakes really hard. I've done some canyon carving in both but I'm not using the brakes a ton. Neither have done anything to make me think they are horrible. My favorite brakes on any of my cars have been on my C5 Z06 although I'm not sure how much of that was the Hawk HPS pads I had on there. OEM on the M3 and Turbo.
Suspension They are both good. I have aftermarket sway bars on mine, though. I guess in stock form I prefer the M3 since it doesn't have the understeer of the stock Turbo. The M3 has much better feel than the 335i but I'd say the chassis is more solid on the Turbo. It starts off as a sports car, after all.
Clutch I don't like the clutch in the M3. It's too light, travel is very long, and it grabs too close to the top. I haven't driven a stock Turbo setup but I love the clutch in my Turbo now.
Power The M3 is very linear and just seems to keep going to its 8400 RPM redline. The Turbo is much more brutal in its power delivery but, again, not totally stock here.
Exhaust Gotta give this to the M3. That exhaust note is probably the best I've heard south of $150k. I don't get too excited by the sound of my car. GT3's sound pretty cool but I am not a huge fan of the sound of the Turbo engines.

Bottom line: I like how my Turbo feels special. The M3 feels special compared to a regular 3 series but not like my Turbo. If I could only have one car it would probably be the M3. Since I have my beater I can have my Turbo for weekend duties.

A pic of my Turbo with my girlfriends M3.

Attached Images  

Last edited by sinKing; 02-21-2013 at 07:45 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New to the boards! 996 Turbo